Options

Job references

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
As you may know from my previous thread, I have recently lost my job because I was overqualified (worked for 4-5 months after I graduated this year) and the manager decided to let me go. Manager also let some other people go because of limited budget and they don't need that many employees.

I have left the company yesterday and didn't ask my manager for a reference. icon_sad.gif I don't know why. But, every time I see the manager, I didn't feel like asking or couldn't speak or couldn't think because they decided to let me go because I was overqualified. Every time I see my manager I feel so depressed and I have kept our conversation short. It wasn't like this before she told me...but I guess I loss a bit of motivation and the manager also knows that I am not feeling happy in a way. I was still doing work but it's not the usual myself with that 'big smile' on my face.

I will be applying for jobs next month.
Questions:
1) If a new employer asks for references, is it O.K. for me to tell the new employer that I need some time to contact my references?
2) Does the new employer expect me to have my references ready in place?
3) Should I contact my previous manager ASAP and let them know i will be using them as a reference? (I believe she is not working in the next couple of weeks until early January)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're probably not going to need to provide them on the spot, but you should be able to get a list together in a day or two. You should also have gotten permission from anyone you want to use as a reference, and as a courtesy, give them a heads-up, so they're not getting a random call out of the blue.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Do yourself a favour and drop your previous boss an email and ask if they would mind being a referee for you. Might not be a bad thing to say how much you enjoyed working there and are sorry to leave but understand how things are in the current climate.

Can't hurt to ask :)
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Laidbackfreak is right - send an email you will find it is a small world and never burn a bridge. Have references readily available I actually prefer to put them down on my resume, on the engineers I am currently hiring I like to see the names on the resumes to see if I know any of them - just my opinion but you don't ever want to say to someone that it will take a few days to pull them together - doesn't sound like you a prepared or have anyone that may recommend you

good luck
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a network of references from previous jobs that I keep in contact with via email once in a while. When I am looking for a job I send out a group email saying "needing references, be prepared for a call from such and such company". The ones who reply in time are the ones I give. I also provide the same for them as well if they need a reference.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use LinkedIn to keep in contact. It's nice to have it online.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    thanks for the advice everyone