Good certifications to graduate with from College

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi I'm a 21 year old College Senior majoring in B.B.A. C.I.S with a concentration in Network Systems. I wanted to know what would be relevant certifications that could help me in being more marketable just coming out of school? Despite very little WORK (job) experience, I have done networking tasks, volunteering etc.. I call it "off the record I.T. duties" icon_lol.gif for about 4 years now(don't know if it counts as WORK experience or not). I also have a few under my belt as indicated on my credentials.

Thanks in advance.
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would hit the CompTIA certs A+, Network+, Security+.

Pretty sure the common theme here is do the Microsoft certs which I would recommend doing the Server 2008 certs especially:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640&locale=en-us

and

TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

70-640 and 70-642 give you a pretty solid understanding for being a junior sys admin.

Now that I think about it, I would probably bust out the A+ because its an entry level requirement for some companies and then hop on the Microsoft track because its the most common. Once your comfortable in a job reevaluate what it is you want to actually do/progress into.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bubble2005 wrote: »
    Hi I'm a 21 year old College Senior majoring in B.B.A. C.I.S with a concentration in Network Systems. I wanted to know what would be relevant certifications that could help me in being more marketable just coming out of school? Despite very little WORK (job) experience, I have done networking tasks, volunteering etc.. I call it "off the record I.T. duties" icon_lol.gif for about 4 years now(don't know if it counts as WORK experience or not). I also have a few under my belt as indicated on my credentials.

Thanks in advance.

Your cert list is looking very good. I would start working on the MCSE or MCITP: EA. Match Microsoft with the CCNA you have, and you will have an excellent chance of finding a good job. That list already looks great to me.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What you have now looks pretty good to me for someone with little experience. Get your first job and decide what direction you want to go with your career. Once you get that figured out start gaining some experience and certifications in that area.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Honestly the CCNA is a good cert right out of school. Also it more matters what you are interested in long term. I am operating under the assumtion that the world is not in fact ending and that the job market will improve. Also CCIE if Cisco is your thing really no two ways about that.
  • NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    You already have CCNA and are currently doing a Microsoft exam by the looks of it, so I'm assuming your interests are broad. If that is the case, I'd say that if anything doing more Microsoft exams is the best bet unless you want to do a CCNA concentration.

Obviously that all depends on your interest, if any, in terms of CCNA concentrations such as security or voice. Other than that the only real option is CCNP but realistically that is not feasible while doing a degree, it's a very difficult and comprehensive qualification that is best supported by experience, hence the 'Professional' part.

You're doing good as it is, so also maybe consider that any spare time you have could be dedicated to ensuring you get high grades at college icon_wink.gif
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are some different ways you can go with what you have let take a look:

1 CCNA>CCNA:S> CCSP>CCIE
    2 CEH>CHFI>CISSP
    3 MCITP:EA
    4 Programing
    5 Linux +> RHCE> ?

I would suggest getting some programing and Linux under your belt , this is my downfall I feel and wish I could back to when I started and pick it up.
    Free Reading : History Books