Options

Reliability 213/255!!!

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello everybody... I can't figure out what seems to be the probleme... Bought recently a 1760 and upgraded it to Advance Security 12.4 (15)T10, and the upgrade process was smooth and through the same Fastethernet, so no probleme at all... Here is a show interfaces puting in mind that there is no cable attached to the Interface! Wahhh insaneeeeee :

FastEthernet0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down
Hardware is PQUICC_FEC, address is 000f.24af.58a6 (bia 000f.24af.58a6)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
reliability 213/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Auto-duplex, Auto Speed, 100BaseTX/FX
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input never, output 00:01:24, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
0 packets input, 0 bytes
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
7 packets output, 420 bytes, 0 underruns
7 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
0 unknown protocol drops
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
7 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Is this a dying Interface? Even no cable attached? Might be a PSU or an IOS issue? Might be Alliens? No cables attached so no traffic at all!!! Wahhhhhhh my LAB Router crash.gif... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    roofusroofus Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try clearing the counters on the interface, leave the interface without a cable & see if the errors start to show up, if they do, then the interface is on its way out.
    If they don't, re-attach the previous cable that you use & see if the error come back, if they do, it's the cable.
    To be certain, clear the counters once more & try another cable that you know is working order.

To clear the counters on the interface do
    clear counters FastEthernet0/0

• Options
    roofus wrote: »
    Try clearing the counters on the interface, leave the interface without a cable & see if the errors start to show up, if they do, then the interface is on its way out.
    If they don't, re-attach the previous cable that you use & see if the error come back, if they do, it's the cable.
    To be certain, clear the counters once more & try another cable that you know is working order.

To clear the counters on the interface do
    clear counters FastEthernet0/0

Thanks alot Pal, I cleared the counters on the Interface since I found the problem and still the errors appear, I guess the Interface is saying goodbye... This would be the last time I buy on eBay without asking the Seller to provide a show interfaces, if it's a toasted interface then clear counters will never help, ur right... Thanks pal :)
  • Options
    roofusroofus Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    some of this kit is sooo cheap its worth taking the gamble sometimes
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    did you try default interface?
    this was from a switch....

DLS1#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    DLS1(config)#default int f0/17
    Interface FastEthernet0/17 set to default configuration

try that with a reload....

got nothing to lose.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    miller811 wrote: »

DLS1#conf t

got nothing to lose.

Learned something new today, thanks!
  • Options

DLS1#conf t

got nothing to lose.

Tried it pal and nothing to make this interface stands again... Anyway it was a $50 worth... A piece of China's crap, Chisco if you know what I'm talking about... Long debate on this matter thought, use eBay and take a horrible risk or sell your house and parents and buy them new...
  • Options
    cerberos wrote: »
    Tried it pal and nothing to make this interface stands again... Anyway it was a $50 worth... A piece of China's crap, Chisco if you know what I'm talking about... Long debate on this matter thought, use eBay and take a horrible risk or sell your house and parents and buy them new...

Sorry to hear that.
    I made multiple purchases off of ebay for Cisco gear, (Never from China) and never had any issues.

• Options
    Sorry to hear that.
    I made multiple purchases off of ebay for Cisco gear, (Never from China) and never had any issues.

Then if I were you pal I would go and buy and lottery ticket... Never claimed that every Cisco Device of China is a Chisco, I got Genuine Adidas and Nike shoes all made in China... But saying that you never got anything from China off eBay is quite weird, the only thing that wasn't from China that I bought was a 2650Xm, was from Mexico... Most of 1760 I saw was made in China, couples of 3550 with some of my friends all are made in China, but they are Genuine thought...

This 1760 I talked above has a Foxconn motherboard, which I highly doubt that Cisco will ever make a contract with, aside from I never saw any Cisco Device with a Foxconn motherboard... Secondly there is no Hologram anywhere on the board... And last but not least, the Serial Numbers differ... If you can recommend the Sellers you deal with I would appreciate it alot, not only me but everybody on this forum... Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I have been buying lottery tickets for a while, but no luck on the big score... had 4 of 5 numbers minus the powerball about 6 months ago, won $100, if the 5th number had hit it would have been $200,000......

For the most part I have bought from individuals, and like I said, I never had an issue, also purchased several pieces locally off of craigs list, again never had a problem...

currently have lots in the lab
    2 2950
    2 3550 1-POE
    3 1720
    2 1750 with voice cards
    1 1751
    2 831
    2 2610
    1 2524
    1 Cisco ap
    1 pix 501
    1 1605
    multiple wics

most of which I never use

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    This 1760 I talked above has a Foxconn motherboard, which I highly doubt that Cisco will ever make a contract with
    I don't know why you doubt Cisco will ever make a contract with Foxconn.

Foxconn are one of the largest electronics manufacturing companies currently. Nearly all the large companies contract out to one of these manufacturing companies to make their products. Generally it isn't worthwhile to purchase and construct a manufacturing plant capable of producing their own products. The amount of money and resources required just isn't worth it. It is easier and cheaper to contract the manufacture out to somebody like Foxconn.

Cisco have and still do use them to manufacture products. Amazon, Apple, Ericsson, Microsoft, Nintendo, Nokia and Sony all use Foxconn. Even Intel uses them to manufacture their Intel branded motherboards.
    Secondly there is no Hologram anywhere on the board
    Cisco hardware hasn't always had a hologram sticker on it. If it is old enough then it won't have one. As for whether your 1760 is that old, I don't know.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    I don't know why you doubt Cisco will ever make a contract with Foxconn.

Foxconn are one of the largest electronics manufacturing companies currently. Nearly all the large companies contract out to one of these manufacturing companies to make their products. Generally it isn't worthwhile to purchase and construct a manufacturing plant capable of producing their own products. The amount of money and resources required just isn't worth it. It is easier and cheaper to contract the manufacture out to somebody like Foxconn.

Cisco have and still do use them to manufacture products. Amazon, Apple, Ericsson, Microsoft, Nintendo, Nokia and Sony all use Foxconn. Even Intel uses them to manufacture their Intel branded motherboards.

Cisco hardware hasn't always had a hologram sticker on it. If it is old enough then it won't have one. As for whether your 1760 is that old, I don't know.

It's well known that Cisco is a Software Solution Company and not a Hardware one... Thanks for the info bro, I never knew that Cisco would use Foxconn as their hardware architect, but maybe in low end devices? Personally, I never found any desktop running a Foxconn motherboard without a Performance Penalty and latency, found this in alot of their Motherboard Product Line...

Personally again, If I were to chose between Manufacturers and budget is a matter then I would go with GigaByte... GigaByte builds reliable, decent, fast and cheap motherbaords, and most important is their support. However, Gigabyte motherboard product line still uses Foxconn connectors, found in the back of any System Unit running a Gigabyte motherboard, this was Foxconn's first business, Building Connectors... To be fair still, maybe I misjudged Foxconn...
  • Options
    It's well known that Cisco is a Software Solution Company and not a Hardware one.
    Huh? I'd say that Cisco were more into the hardware side of things.
    I never knew that Cisco would use Foxconn as their hardware architect, but maybe in low end devices?
    The regular Cisco range would be designed by Cisco but manufactured by somebody else.

The low end Linksys range however is generally designed by somebody else and manufactured by somebody else as well. Cisco just brand it. It is why there is a significant difference in functionality, implementation and price.
    this was Foxconn's first business, Building Connectors... To be fair still, maybe I misjudged Foxconn...
    Yeah. Foxconn originally made plastic products of which connectors was a major part of their business. Over the years they've branched out into various other manufacturing areas and now include contract manufacture for others.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    If you can recommend the Sellers you deal with I would appreciate it alot, not only me but everybody on this forum... Thanks in advance.

I got really really good at spotting counterfeit Cisco gear when I worked for a reseller. That's taught me to be careful who I buy from on ebay.

As far as sellers go, I've had positive experiences with Candela, Optimum Data, XL and Tnet, so I tend to buy from them when I'm looking for something.
  • Options
    I got really really good at spotting counterfeit Cisco gear when I worked for a reseller. That's taught me to be careful who I buy from on ebay.
    Yeah. It isn't easy. I've had counterfeit gear turn up from a reseller before. It looked identical to a legitimate Cisco card including all the relevant markings and component brands. We only found out it wasn't real when we tried to get a SMARTnet contract on it and our Cisco rep said that serial number doesn't exist. Our best guess was that it was from the same factory as the real Cisco cards but they ran off a few extra boards quietly without Cisco knowing to resell.
  • Options
    Huh? I'd say that Cisco were more into the hardware side of things.

Yeah. Foxconn originally made plastic products of which connectors was a major part of their business. Over the years they've branched out into various other manufacturing areas and now include contract manufacture for others.

tiersten, Cisco is a Software Solution Based Company that design software, but if you'll call the low level programing as hardware so this is a misnomer, we better call it firmware as u know... They have hardware requirements that should be followed strictly which they supervise, they are not the one who manufacture it thought, they make a contract with watever vendor they chose, choice for them depends on a lot of things, not the main topic I believe...

So calling Cisco a Hardware Solution is not true, they don't create harware, they make contract with other Hardware Based Company and they make the firmware and other low level language... The Hardware Based Company which Cisco choses doesn't make the design and the engineering based on their will, Cisco mandate this... How many NMs, the NM Bus speed and frequency, the Memory Controller wires and the whole topology and more than that is Cisco's design, or requirements, the Hardware Company follow Cisco's design strictly, however, it may suggest to Cisco... (Generally it isn't worthwhile to purchase and construct a manufacturing plant capable of producing their own products), you said it already?! It was a useful conversation tiersten, learned alot through it, thank you bro.

Yes Forsaken_GA, I dealed once with Candela Network, a purchase that didn't push through before thought, but honestly the guy was too polite and gentle... But by your testimony, I would really buy from him... Ungenuine Cisco's Products make me phsyco... Thanks alot bro.
  • Options
    I have been buying lottery tickets for a while, but no luck on the big score... had 4 of 5 numbers minus the powerball about 6 months ago, won $100, if the 5th number had hit it would have been $200,000......

For the most part I have bought from individuals, and like I said, I never had an issue, also purchased several pieces locally off of craigs list, again never had a problem...

currently have lots in the lab
    2 2950
    2 3550 1-POE
    3 1720
    2 1750 with voice cards
    1 1751
    2 831
    2 2610
    1 2524
    1 Cisco ap
    1 pix 501
    1 1605
    multiple wics

most of which I never use

That's a nice Lab bro, my condolence for the $200,000 thought, never tried Craigs List, maybe I should give it a try soon...:D
  • Options
    tiersten, Cisco is a Software Solution Based Company that design software, but if you'll call the low level programing as hardware so this is a misnomer, we better call it firmware as u know...
    I'm unsure where you got the idea that Cisco are a software company and just tell a third party to design a router/switch for them. They only do this for the low end Linksys range which they purchased anyway to gain market share in the SOHO/Home market.

Cisco have several hardware development units where they design the various product ranges. If they feel that it is worthwhile then they will manufacture it themselves. If they don't think it is worthwhile then they'll contract the manufacturing out to somebody like Foxconn.

By your logic then Apple are a software only company because Foxconn manufacture the iPod/iPhone/Macbook and various other items for them. They were all designed by Apple.
  • Options
    For example if I started a company to make a DynamikNetwork (the brand was dirt cheap to purchase) range of network devices then I'd have several options.

Firstly I'd have to decide what hardware I want to use. I can either design my own or buy an existing design from somebody else.

Once I've got the hardware, I'd have to decide what I want to run on it. Again, I can write my own or buy existing software from somebody else.

Now that I've got the design part done, I need to know whether I have the money/resources available to manufacture it myself or whether it'd be cheaper in the long run to just contract out the manufacturing to somebody like Foxconn.

At the end of the day, I'm still selling a physical piece of networking hardware so I'd class my company as a hardware company. I may not have actually designed or manufactured anything myself though but that is irrelevant.

Whilst Cisco emphasizes that IOS is the core of their switches/routers, they are still primarily a hardware company. IOS is designed to only run on their hardware. You don't buy a generic piece of networking hardware and then buy a copy of IOS to run on top of it.
  • Options
    I'm unsure where you got the idea that Cisco are a software company and just tell a third party to design a router/switch for them. They only do this for the low end Linksys range which they purchased anyway to gain market share in the SOHO/Home market.

Cisco have several hardware development units where they design the various product ranges. If they feel that it is worthwhile then they will manufacture it themselves. If they don't think it is worthwhile then they'll contract the manufacturing out to somebody like Foxconn.

By your logic then Apple are a software only company because Foxconn manufacture the iPod/iPhone/Macbook and various other items for them. They were all designed by Apple.

According to what I read, and Jeremy (CBTNuggets), they design and engineer the hardware, but the actual Chips, ICs, Connector, motherboard and processor which build all those things depends on Cisco's requirements and will, in brief from A to Z it's other companies like the formentioned, Foxconn...

This is not something new, alot of company run this way... Cisco is a very rich company, the seconde after IBM for internal revenue gain, according to Wikipedia, so it's not a big deal for them to make those thing from scratch including the hardware, not only the design, just the actual layout, not the logic, but the physical layout... That's all I know so far, but building physical chips, transistors, Silicon wafer and Lithographics and ICs and not only the logic, then I would better say that this is something I was convinced off before, until recently while studying CCENT I got shocked when I heared that they don't! Now I'm confused which is which bro...
  • Options
    According to what I read, and Jeremy (CBTNuggets), they design and engineer the hardware, but the actual Chips, ICs, Connector, motherboard and processor which build all those things depends on Cisco's requirements and will, in brief from A to Z it's other companies like the formentioned, Foxconn...
    Very few companies if any actually manufacture an entire device themselves down to individual components like you're saying.
    This is not something new, alot of company run this way...
    I'd say everybody runs this way. Intel may make the CPUs and chipsets but they still buy in various other components for their other products like motherboards and NICs.
    Cisco is a very rich company, the seconde after IBM for internal revenue gain, according to Wikipedia, so it's not a big deal for them to make those thing from scratch including the hardware, not only the design, just the actual layout, not the logic, but the physical layout... That's all I know so far, but building physical chips, transistors, Silicon wafer and Lithographics and ICs and not only the logic, then I would better say that this is something I was convinced off before, until recently while studying CCENT I got shocked when I heared that they don't!
    Cisco have designed ASICs for their high end routers and switches. They don't have a semiconductor fab however. They'll contract it out to somebody like TSMC.

This isn't Cisco specific. Everybody does it like this. It isn't economical or even viable to design and manufacture everything in a modern electronic device. Whilst Cisco know a lot about networking, their knowledge about Flash memory will be extremely limited compared to somebody like Intel or Toshiba.

Whilst constructing a manufacturing plant is fairly expensive, it is nothing compared to the costs of making your own semiconductor fab. Unless you're one of the major players in the IC world, you will contract it out. Nobody does it themselves unless they're one of them since it costs billions to construct and operate a modern semiconductor fab.
  • Options
    Very few companies if any actually manufacture an entire device themselves down to individual components like you're saying.

I'd say everybody runs this way. Intel may make the CPUs and chipsets but they still buy in various other components for their other products like motherboards and NICs.

Cisco have designed ASICs for their high end routers and switches. They don't have a semiconductor fab however. They'll contract it out to somebody like TSMC.

This isn't Cisco specific. Everybody does it like this. It isn't economical or even viable to design and manufacture everything in a modern electronic device. Whilst Cisco know a lot about networking, their knowledge about Flash memory will be extremely limited compared to somebody like Intel or Toshiba.

Whilst constructing a manufacturing plant is fairly expensive, it is nothing compared to the costs of making your own semiconductor fab. Unless you're one of the major players in the IC world, you will contract it out. Nobody does it themselves unless they're one of them since it costs billions to construct and operate a modern semiconductor fab.

Totally agreeing, now it moves to a more logical specific way.. But onething that drives me crazy and put me a lot of questions, since Cisco doesn't have it's Semiconductor fab, but still it builds it's own ASIC, so why not builds it's own Processor also? Why they will still need Intel or AMD or even MIPS and their instrcution set?! I think that Cisco is more than talented in building it's own instruction set because they are the most aware of their own machine more than anybody else, if you know what I'm meaning, ASIC and a Main Processor are just a few steps away from each other... They might find a way to save some CPU Cycles, which will indeed raise performance, because they fully understand their machine, esp in routing! Quite weird...
  • Options
    But onething that drives me crazy and put me a lot of questions, since Cisco doesn't have it's Semiconductor fab, but still it builds it's own ASIC, so why not builds it's own Processor also? Why they will still need Intel or AMD or even MIPS and their instrcution set?!
    Costs outweigh the advantages currently. Whilst they may be able to make a processor, it is a lot of work and you need to factor in related costs like testing and support tools like compilers. Unless there is a huge advantage then it is easier to just buy a premade standalone processor or ASIC IP core from somebody else to integrate into their system.
    I think that Cisco is more than talented in building it's own instruction set because they are the most aware of their own machine more than anybody else, if you know what I'm meaning, ASIC and a Main Processor are just a few steps away from each other... They might find a way to save some CPU Cycles, which will indeed raise performance, because they fully understand their machine, esp in routing! Quite weird...
    The ASICs are there to accelerate the process of routing or switching without needing to punt everything to the processor to handle.
  • Options
    Costs outweigh the advantages currently. Whilst they may be able to make a processor, it is a lot of work and you need to factor in related costs like testing and support tools like compilers. Unless there is a huge advantage then it is easier to just buy a premade standalone processor or ASIC IP core from somebody else to integrate into their system.

The ASICs are there to accelerate the process of routing or switching without needing to punt everything to the processor to handle.

Thanks alot bro, this was a very useful information, conversation... You are very well grounded, God bless you and touch wood, and if this showed anything, it will show that your are not less than a Senior Network Manager... Brilliant, priceless.