Options

VPN Issue into Server

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
So currently i have a server2003 running in my basement with the following services installed, AD,Terminal Services, DNS and DHCP. I am attempting to set up a vpn connection on the server.

So i run the install for vpn under add a role. Get the error message that windows firewall needs to be stopped to proceed. Turn that off and i restart the install again. I pick vpn access and nat. Let the server do dhcp and pick the ethernet card associated with the server ip. Routing and remote access begins the install as well. Once everything gets installed i allow the user account access to vpn

I then setup a vpn from a machine upstairs and it connects. So here is my problem. Once i restart the server all machines in the house besides the server looses its internet connection. Only machine that have a static address retain their functionality.

I would assume this has something to do with routing and remote access but not 100% sure. Can anyone point me in the right direction or let me know if i am doing something wrong.
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Looks like someone on techrepublic has the same issue. Here is his post with no responses listed.

RAS/VPN DHCP problem on Win2003
    Tags: networking
    Report as spam Discussion - Post 1 of 1 RAS/VPN DHCP problem on Win2003
    I have tried to configure a VPN solution running on a Win2003 server, but run into DHCP problems.

When configure it to use ?Static address pool? it works, but my preferred choice are to use ?Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)? (Configured under ?Routing and remote Access?/?properties?/?IP?), but configured as preferred my client is given the same IP address as my VPN server?? and no recourses will be visible on the client.

I have also tried both with and without enabling the ?DHCP Relay Agent? without any success. (Configured under ?Routing and remote Access?/?IP Routing?/?DHCP Relay Agent?/??..)

PLS do anyone have any bright ideas why!! And how to fix/test it.
    And can anybody explain how the first and second settings interact?
    (Do the ?Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)? require the ?DHCP Relay Agent? to be enabled?)

Reg
    Jocke
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress