SSH tunneling tools, anyone?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have tried to use PuTTY for tunneling numerous times. Every time I try I must be getting something wrong. I want to be able to practice with my routers and switches remotely from work. Any suggestions from those more experienced with tunneling via SSH?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you trying to tunnel other protocols through SSH or just make an SSH connection? Regardless, I use Putty. What's the problem?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Are you trying to tunnel other protocols through SSH or just make an SSH connection? Regardless, I use Putty. What's the problem?

I don't know to be honest. I have tried following numerous guides on the Internet for tunneling RDP, and VNC through to no avail.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    So you're trying to tunnel your traffic through SSH? What guides have you tried? I do this everyday at work, so I can probably help if you tell me where you're having problems.
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I don't know to be honest. I have tried following numerous guides on the Internet for tunneling RDP, and VNC through to no avail.

Anything that can run over TCP can be tunneled, so RDP and VNC both work. I don't have putty in front of me, but the following two examples work in Linux, OS X, and more likely than not, cygwin's SSH CLI clients. These commands are run on the client side.

• SSH into firewall1, and forward 10.1.1.2's port 5900 (VNC) to your local loopback interface:
    ssh -L 5900:10.1.1.2:5900 username@firewall1
    • SSH into firewall2, and forward 10.1.1.3's port 3389 (RDP) to your local loopback interface:
    ssh -L 3389:10.1.1.3:3389 username@firewall2
    You could then VNC or RDP into localhost to connect to the 10.1.1.x network via the SSH tunnel. If you run into any errors, make sure that the localhost isn't already running something on the port being forwarded to.
    icon_redface.gif I have to admit that it could be the software that I am using on my server for an SSH server. Maybe some has a better suggestion than this one:

freeSSHd and freeFTPd - open source SSH and SFTP servers for Windows

I am using W2K3 for my server at home.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    If you want to use the SOCKS proxy stuff, open PuTTY, go to SSH > Tunnels, put 8080 (I use 8080, but you can use any random port number), leave destination blank, click the Dynamic radio button and hit Add.

Now connect to your SSH server. Then open up your browser and use 127.0.0.1 and port 8080 (or whatever port you chose) as the SOCKS proxy under your browser's proxy settings.

That's the basic SOCKS setup. You can also do some other cool stuff. For instance, my company network does no allow RDP out, so I can forward local port 3390 (127.0.0.1:3390) to my Windows box at home. This is done on the same Tunnels tab using the Local radio button and the source port 3390, with the destination 192.168.25.10:3389 (this is my Windows server, you would use whatever IP and port you're forwarding to here). So now I open up the RDP client and use 127.0.0.1:3390 and it shoots that through my SSH session to 192.168.25.10 on the SSH server end.

Hopefully most of that makes sense.
    I will give that a try Colby, thanks!
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Setting up an ssh tunnel to secure your web traffic.

Colby is right on, that has pictures of what you need to do.
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    Setting up an ssh tunnel to secure your web traffic.

Colby is right on, that has pictures of what you need to do.

There you go.

I tunnel my web traffic to my Ubuntu Server 9.04 at home using Squid. icon_smile.gif