Options

Am I screwed? Only a reference letter?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Quick question. I recently asked the boss to be my reference. I didn't specify whether I wanted a reference letter or him to be my phone reference.

In the e-mail, he said yes and will write a reference letter...It looks like he doesn't want to/not comfortable providing phone references. What should I do?

How valuable is a reference letter these days? Do employers take this as a substitute for phone reference?

Should I e-mail again and ask for a phone reference? Or does reference letters usually include their business phone information? If it includes their business phone number on the reference letter, then I might be asking way too early

I know I've been posting a lot of threads here lately as I am very concerned because I don't have solid work experience and this is almost like my first job ever.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    From my experience you usually just give there contact details and most of time they send something in the post rather than phone.

Good Luck with the job hunt :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its pretty standard that a reference is made over the phone, but if you are that worried about it just ask. A reference letter is a nice plus, and I'm sure the employer will be following up with a call to ensure its legit anyway. Any reference letter without contact info is pretty useless because it can not be verified.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A reference letter is a big plus! I have had two of my managers give me reference letters. One of them made it clear to me that they rarely did this kind of thing. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would not be concerned. When you are asked to provide references simply include a copy fo the letter. But you should also have some sort of professional refernces, even if it is just people you have worked with in the past.

You are not screwed... Well, not because of this. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO a letter of reference is superior to a simple reference name/phone number because a letter of reference documents a relationship, achievements and thoughts at a specific point in time.

Using simply a phone number and name is a bit weak when references are requested, as jobs, roles and phone numbers will regularly change.

Additionally, you can collect (and offer) references from your connections on LinkedIn.

Overall though I'd say references are to be taken with a truckload of salt. After all, who is going to offer up a reference that is anything less than glowing?

MS
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    eMeS wrote: »
    Overall though I'd say references are to be taken with a truckload of salt. After all, who is going to offer up a reference that is anything less than glowing?

MS

Yep I would agree with this, here in the uk you can not give a bad reference !
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep I would agree with this, here in the uk you can not give a bad reference !

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is the same here in the US.
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116

IANAL, but the way I understand it, you can give a bad reference, but it opens up a company to lawsuits, i.e. loss of income for the former employee, discrimination on the part of the new employer, etc. I could be wrong, though.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Initially, I was very afraid that a letter of reference is useless. But, I guess it can be useful in the long run. Some career forums discuss how phone references is a lot better than a reference letters. Like someone have mentioned, most employers these days want someone they can speak with over the phone? And if I don't have too many phone references, it can probably be a minor problem over another candidate who has 3+ phone references on the spot.

Hopefully I can overcome the 'reference' problem when I have a solid work history. It's just the beginning for me.
  • Options

It really all depends on many factors. Commonly an organization can only discuss dates of employment, last position held and whether or not the individual is eligible for rehire.

Individually there is a lot more leeway, however, you always run the risk of slander or libel.

MS
  • Options
    laptop wrote: »
    Like someone have mentioned, most employers these days want someone they can speak with over the phone?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really don't see why a written reference wouldn't include contact information for the person providing the reference.

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really don't see why a written reference wouldn't include contact information for the person providing the reference.

MS

You have a valid point.
    I am crossing my fingers that the reference letter will include my boss's direct business phone line.
  • Options
    eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    laptop wrote: »
    Quick question. I recently asked the boss to be my reference. I didn't specify whether I wanted a reference letter or him to be my phone reference.

In the e-mail, he said yes and will write a reference letter...It looks like he doesn't want to/not comfortable providing phone references. What should I do?

How valuable is a reference letter these days? Do employers take this as a substitute for phone reference?

Should I e-mail again and ask for a phone reference? Or does reference letters usually include their business phone information? If it includes their business phone number on the reference letter, then I might be asking way too early

I know I've been posting a lot of threads here lately as I am very concerned because I don't have solid work experience and this is almost like my first job ever.

Thanks

Im guessing since there is nothing new i can add to this thread, but maybe he is not comfortable because he is you boss and since you are asking for a recommendation letter he may think you are leaving your current job??? my two cents here...
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • Options
    eduromer wrote: »
    Im guessing since there is nothing new i can add to this thread, but maybe he is not comfortable because he is you boss and since you are asking for a recommendation letter he may think you are leaving your current job??? my two cents here...

Good guess.
    But, I have completed and fulfilled the contract. Just ended the job.
    Now I'm hoping the reference letter will have the extension number to the boss's office.
    I'll keep everyone updated.