Options

I need to specialize in something? What to do?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I have an Information Systems Diploma
I have a Bachelor of Commerce degree in IT Management

It looks like I am technical guy. But the program consist of 50% business and 50% technical courses to prepare us to become a Business Systems Analyst.

Over these days, I decided to specialize in Computer Networking. I wouldn't mind starting off as IT call center > Helpdesk > Network technician > Network Analyst > Network Engineer > Network Security

But, how do I start???? Skip CompTIA A+ and start preparing for Network+? or begin with A+? I did read half the Mike Meyer A+ book but i don't like the hardware part....its not sinking into my head although it looks easy. I was also thinking about taking a certificate program but don't want to go back to school at the moment because my parents will yell at me. I've already spent about 4-5 years getting my diploma + degree and I still don't have that technical knowledge at all. I don't even know what I learned from school.

Advice?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »

It looks like I am technical guy. But the program consist of 50% business and 50% technical courses to prepare us to become a Business Systems Analyst.

Over these days, I decided to specialize in Computer Networking. I wouldn't mind starting off as IT call center > Helpdesk > Network technician > Network Analyst > Network Engineer > Network Security

But, how do I start???? Skip CompTIA A+ and start preparing for Network+? or begin with A+? I did read half the Mike Meyer A+ book but i don't like the hardware part....its not sinking into my head although it looks easy. I was also thinking about taking a certificate program but don't want to go back to school at the moment because my parents will yell at me. I've already spent about 4-5 years getting my diploma + degree and I still don't have that technical knowledge at all. I don't even know what I learned from school.

Advice?

If you want to go Networking then go all the way! CCENT-->CCNA--> etc.

A+ and Network+ are just not useful for getting into Networking. Trust me, I know from my own experience.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't downplay the importance of business knowledge and soft skills in your career. It's really not that difficult to strengthen your technical abilities on your own. You've probably developed some important skills throughout your education. A+/Network+ is fairly entry-level. Some of the material is boring, but it's not too difficult to plow through. If you're anxious to get serious into networking, the CCNA is probably the best starting point.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Don't downplay the importance of business knowledge and soft skills in your career. It's really not that difficult to strengthen your technical abilities on your own. You've probably developed some important skills throughout your education.

I was going to mention that as well. A good business background could place you into a leadership role down the road. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Thank you for providing great comments.

I do have a business + IT background but I'm not getting the entry level IT jobs. This is the problem. I want to show employers that I have some specialize skills in some area: preferably networking as I mentioned.

As you mentioned CCENT will probably be the best start.

1) Can this be done through self-study? How hard is it considering that I have a diploma + degree in Business/IT. I have studied a similar course from college: Network+ and studied Network Admin before. Recommend any relevant textbooks?

2) I did some research and it says that I must complete : ICND1( 640-822 ) <<---i assume this is CCENT

I did take CCNA 1 (and tests were provided by Cisco). I found the tests quite challenging due to the fact that there were multiple answers for a single question. Although I dropped the course (spent $500)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    As was said by Dynamik, having the business background is very beneficial. It will help you down the road.

The only thing though, if youre having trouble comprehending A+ stuff I wonder how challenging learning more advanced things like Cisco, will be.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was going to mention that as well. A good business background could place you into a leadership role down the road. icon_thumright.gif

I am constantly aware of my lack of business knowledge when I am preparing SQL reports for managers. This is the largest gap in my skill set. So I have to add my agreement to these comments!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Advice?

Your degree ticks an important box and will help you for years to come.

Throw yourself headlong into Cisco for 12 months, but be sure to supplement those studies will various general texts on networking. Cisco didn't invent this stuff ;)
  • Options
    Can this be done through self-study? How hard is it considering that I have a diploma + degree in Business/IT. I have studied a similar course from college: Network+ and studied Network Admin before. Recommend any relevant textbooks?

It can definitely be studied for without classes.

The book I am using right now is:
    Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition (9781587201820): Wendell Odom: Books
    Make sure you get one that has the CDs with it.

Cisco's web site is another excellent resource for finding study material.

As always you should get a second book to balance out your learning.
  • Options
    Agree with previous poster. I would say for the first year throw yourself into Cisco and clatter out the CCNA.

Second year buy some hardcore networking texts that are non Cisco and really read them properly. This will give you a deep foundation on how networks really work at the snoop/protocol/transaction level and could lead to a job with a bank. Read up on market trading systems and multicasting. Deep fundamental learning is often circumvented in favour of certification texts and a dash for certs, there is much more to networking than that.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Agree with previous poster.

You mean yourself? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    It can definitely be studied for without classes.

The book I am using right now is:
    Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition (9781587201820): Wendell Odom: Books
    Make sure you get one that has the CDs with it.

Cisco's web site is another excellent resource for finding study material.

As always you should get a second book to balance out your learning.

I use the same book icon_thumright.gif I recommend it.

Also, Jeremy Cioara has some great CBT Nuggets videos I would recommend. CBT Nuggets: Training for Cisco CCNA SQL MCSE VB.NET A+ Linux PMP & Many More IT Certification Exams! They can be pricey, but well worth it. He is pretty fun to listen to, and illustrates pretty well.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    You mean yourself? icon_lol.gif

hehehe..no you you klutz ;)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Specialize in something you love and make sure the rest of the stuff is tolerable :)

If A+/N+ or CCNA isn't your forte, go CISSP or VCP.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Agree with previous poster. I would say for the first year throw yourself into Cisco and clatter out the CCNA.

Second year buy some hardcore networking texts that are non Cisco and really read them properly. This will give you a deep foundation on how networks really work at the snoop/protocol/transaction level and could lead to a job with a bank. Read up on market trading systems and multicasting. Deep fundamental learning is often circumvented in favour of certification texts and a dash for certs, there is much more to networking than that.

Do you have any recommended networking books? I never thought about this till you mentioned it!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore