Options

Amount of Material

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I have been studying for the CCNP for about 2 weeks now (I had started a while back but got side tracked). I am starting with the BCMSN and I have read the Cisco book once fully through...my question is how does one retain the amount of knowledge in this book? There are a ton of different topics and points that are covered through out the entire book....seriously this exam seems like it is going to be impossible....any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Practice. Get the lab book. Get Transcender (or equivalent) and use repetition, repetition, repetition for the questions and flash cards.

I've put my BCMSN on hold since many people recommend doing BSCI ahead of it (or simultaneously). I'm debating on going after the composite at this point.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Repetition is definitely the way to go. Working with the technologies on a daily basis brings down the amount of study needed A LOT because it starts to become ingrained after you have to google the same thing 15 times icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The first Pro exam can seem insurmountable. Just keep reading/watching vids, and more importantly, lab everything. Play with the stuff as much as possible, that's how you make it stick.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The best way to learn it is to just do it. Your brain is a muscle too, so actually doing the work will help you develop the muscle memory necessary to pass the exam.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah i agree with the above statements. The first exam is always shocking! just wait until you get to the BSCI and ISCW. Those are even harder exams, i felt the BCMSN was the easiest of them all.

It really takes practice, plus work experience helps a lot. If you have no experience in the networking field i could see how this is a daunting task for you. However dont feel discouraged, just repetition and practice labs.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I definitely don't feel discouraged, especially after reading the posts about people passing these exams. I have read through each book once I do think that the BCMSN is going to be the easiest which is why I'm starting there. Unfortunately I don't get much hands on exp at work however I do get to deal with the theory alot so some help is better than none. Ideally the effort put into this exam will help me in the long run and make my CCSP/CCIE:S journey better too.

Ok back to icon_study.gif
  • Options
    It seems like BCMSN will be the easier of the two if you already have BSCI under your belt. It seems like a decent number of people who have started with BCMSN have failed because they were not prepared for the routing material that was on the exam. That's why I've reevaluated my plan of attack. YMMV.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    dynamik wrote: »
    It seems like BCMSN will be the easier of the two if you already have BSCI under your belt. It seems like a decent number of people who have started with BCMSN have failed because they were not prepared for the routing material that was on the exam. That's why I've reevaluated my plan of attack. YMMV.

I have to say that I really it depends on the situation. I took the BCMSN first and I was fine. I still have yet to see where this routing information is that everyone refers to when talking about the BCMSN. I can say the test consisted of a few questions of "applied knowledge" that I didn't see anywhere in my text when reading. I'm on to my BSCI, which is going to be the end of January. Hoping to get passed that and be looking at only two more tests to be CCNP :) I want to get it before our yearly annual review. Plus I want to get it so I can get a better position. I did find out I'm not doing regular help desk work anymore. They moved me to dealing with NIPS/HIPS for Intrusion Prevention Monitoring. So, I have to say it is good because I hate taking calls on the stuff we have been.

Dynamik what has that CEH done for you work wise? Just out of curiosity.
  • Options
    I have to say that I really it depends on the situation. I took the BCMSN first and I was fine. I still have yet to see where this routing information is that everyone refers to when talking about the BCMSN. I can say the test consisted of a few questions of "applied knowledge" that I didn't see anywhere in my text when reading. I'm on to my BSCI, which is going to be the end of January. Hoping to get passed that and be looking at only two more tests to be CCNP :) I want to get it before our yearly annual review. Plus I want to get it so I can get a better position. I did find out I'm not doing regular help desk work anymore. They moved me to dealing with NIPS/HIPS for Intrusion Prevention Monitoring. So, I have to say it is good because I hate taking calls on the stuff we have been.

Yea, I haven't taken it yet, so I can't speak to that specifically. I just like to error on the side of being over-prepared.

You could also just wait until the troubleshooting exam comes out, and then that could be the last exam you need for your CCNP. Although, many would probably consider that to be a CCNP-lite icon_lol.gif
    Dynamik what has that CEH done for you work wise? Just out of curiosity.

I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so nothing really. I already have the job I want, so I guess it just makes me look a bit better to my employer.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As above, repetition is the way forward.

All of my recent work for the last few months has been directly BCMSN related (except for the wireless LAN controller content)

BSCI was definitely harder, but with enough repetition it isnt that bad.

Get a wide range of material.

My weapons of choice for BSCI: -

Cisco Exam Guide
    BSCI Command Line Guide
    BSCI Lab Portfolio
    GNS3
    CBT Nuggets

BCMSN: -

2 x 3550, 2 x 2950 Switches
    Cisco Exam Guide
    BCMSN Command Line Guide
    BCMSN Lab Portfolio
    CBT Nuggets
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I agree with gorebrush on the BSCI except I'll add a couple things -

Self-Study
    Packet Life **** sheets
    Routing protocol FAQs (cisco's website)

Also, remember to be creative in GNS3
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea, I haven't taken it yet, so I can't speak to that specifically. I just like to error on the side of being over-prepared.

You could also just wait until the troubleshooting exam comes out, and then that could be the last exam you need for your CCNP. Although, many would probably consider that to be a CCNP-lite icon_lol.gif

I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so nothing really. I already have the job I want, so I guess it just makes me look a bit better to my employer.

I thought about that. But, I'm going to try to make the ISCW and ONT under the time line before the exam change, "when" they announce it officially. I want to have it before my annual review as well, it will give me a really good pay raise. Hoping it leads to better opportunities though.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Also, remember to be creative in GNS3

Very good point
  • Options
    suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you NightShade03.

When I prepped for the BSCI, I labbed everything to death and the material never really overwhelmed me. Whenever I bust open my BCMSN self-study guide, my brain wants to explode. The book is poorly written in that there is just too much information on each page. I really recommend the Cisco Press LAN Switching book for a much more "readable" book. However, you'll need to fill in lots of gaps (IOS + newer technologies). But that's what cisco.com / TrainSignal, etc, are there for, eh? :D

Interesting enough, the Lab Portfolio feels kinda skimpy. I'm going to go ahead and master the labs and hunt down some more lab scenarios.

Also, it kills me that I see people at work using ****. I'd never touch them myself but people are very blaise about it. I'm blown away by it, honestly. And they are, in turn, blown away when I tell them I don't use them. Amazing...
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Just keep at it. I must have read the BSCI study guide/exam guide book 6 times cover to cover. Lab like crazy, by the time your done and pass the exam you won't want to see a routing table for at least a week!. I personally took BSCI 3 times and failed and just recently passed. Its an awesome(teary) moment when you see the Congratulations page.

The amount of material will stick once you work/google it enough. Practice and failure makes perfect. Use every resource available to you(there are tons). Just skip the **** :)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator