Options

Will this get me through ICND1

bjjwizardbjjwizard Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Instead of me asking what I should do, Ill tell you guys what i know and can do and hopefully you can let me know if this will be enough to pass ICND1.

Just completed first Cisco class, all test were between 88% - 100%

I understand and can setup RIP V1 and V2, EIGRP, OSPF. I can setup all passwords, I understand and can troubleshoot from the debug command.

I know how to subnet pretty good.

I understand everthing in the startup config. I know plenty of commands in the privilege mode, config mode and interface mode.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Switching is a major part of icnd1.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Switching is a major part of icnd1.

What do you mean by switching? do yo mean actual switches?
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Yes,

That is what he means. Switches, the protocols that run on them, VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol), STP (Spanning-tree protocol), RSTP, VLAN configurations, how to assign a specific interface to a VLAN, how to check which VLAN those interfaces are assigned to. What a trunk is, how to configure a trunk, how to configure an access port, how to configure port security. How to check spanning-tree information, like which ports are blocking, forwarding, disabled, etc... The process (STP) that the ports go through, "blocking, listening, learning, forwarding, and disabled." You need to know this plus some other stuff. I would definitely dig into switching before you attempt the ICND1.
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    bjjwizard wrote: »
    Instead of me asking what I should do, Ill tell you guys what i know and can do and hopefully you can let me know if this will be enough to pass ICND1.

Just completed first Cisco class, all test were between 88% - 100%

I understand and can setup RIP V1 and V2, EIGRP, OSPF. I can setup all passwords, I understand and can troubleshoot from the debug command.

I know how to subnet pretty good.

I understand everthing in the startup config. I know plenty of commands in the privilege mode, config mode and interface mode.

What do you guys think?

Also I would want to be better than pretty good at subnetting, if you can answer the questions at subnettingquestions.com in your head in about 15 seconds you should be ready on that part. Remember that is big percentage of the test. I know a support engineer that failed it because he was use to using a subnet calculator and wasn't fast enough.
  • Options
    Yes,

That is what he means. Switches, the protocols that run on them, VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol), STP (Spanning-tree protocol), RSTP, VLAN configurations, how to assign a specific interface to a VLAN, how to check which VLAN those interfaces are assigned to. What a trunk is, how to configure a trunk, how to configure an access port, how to configure port security. How to check spanning-tree information, like which ports are blocking, forwarding, disabled, etc... The process (STP) that the ports go through, "blocking, listening, learning, forwarding, and disabled." You need to know this plus some other stuff. I would definitely dig into switching before you attempt the ICND1.

Ugh, Well in my class we haven't talked about switches at all. i even asked my teacher if she thought we would be ok just knowing what we knew, she said yes, i dunno maybe it was one of her bad days cuz shes pretty good.

Well can anyone recommend any good books for the switches info on the ICND1
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Get the Odom books. They will cover everything you need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just completed first Cisco class
    You might want to take the 2nd class and learn the other half of the stuff you need to know for the ICND1 exam

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4987
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    See your other tread you started here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/49219-taking-icdn1-soon-any-tips.html

Pay close attention to the last paragraph.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    What do you mean by switching? do yo mean actual switches?

What other switches are there? Fake ones?

Look here: 640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

If you're teacher told you that you dont need to know switching to pass icnd1, its time to get a new teacher.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    What other switches are there? Fake ones?

Look here: 640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

If you're teacher told you that you dont need to know switching to pass icnd1, its time to get a new teacher.

I just didn't know by the term switching you meant switches, I thought maybe you were talking about a certain aspect in the routers. And my teacher didn't say we don't have to know switches, we just didn't cover them and she said we'll be alright thx tho
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If i had to guess, your teacher probuly beefed you guys up on routing? Looking at your post those sound like routing protocols with my very limited cisco experience. From what i've gathered, ICND1= Switching(little routing)+ ICND2(routing) = CCNA(Routing and switching)
  • Options
    we just didn't cover them and she said we'll be alright thx tho

I'd be very concerned if your teacher a)didn't cover switches and b)told you you'd be alright not knowing about switches.

Switching is a key fundamental to networking, not just Cisco. Switches are everywhere.

What class/school is this?
  • Options
    Ok so i spoke to my teacher today and asked specifically if switching will be on the ICD1 exam and she said no, she said switching is on the ICND2 exam not 1. I dont know who right but I guess i gotta learn me some switching nyways
  • Options
    lol, she is dead wrong.

Show her this:

640-816 ICND2 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Mainly this:

Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices

Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    Configure and vary PPP connection between Cisco routers
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot OSPF
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot EIGRP

then show her this:

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Mainly this:
    Implement a small switched network

• Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    • Explain the technology and media access control method for Ethernet technologies
    • Explain network segmentation and basic traffic management concepts
    • Explain the operation of Cisco switches and basic switching concepts
    • Perform, save and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    • Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands
    • Implement and verify basic security for a switch (port security, deactivate ports)
    • Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, autonegotiation, and switch hardware failures
    You might want to get you money back and use it for your ICND2 exam :)
  • Options
    Ok so i spoke to my teacher today and asked specifically if switching will be on the ICD1 exam and she said no, she said switching is on the ICND2 exam not 1. I dont know who right but I guess i gotta learn me some switching nyways

Are you serious? If she told you that, she is completely clueless.

Print this out for her:

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
    cisco.com wrote:
    640-822 ICND1
    Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1

Exam Number: 640-822 ICND1
    Associated Certifications: CCENT and CCNA
    Duration: 90 Minutes (40-50 questions)
    Available Languages: English, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Russian, Korean, French, Portuguese
    Click Here to Register: Pearson VUE
    Exam Policies: Read current policies and requirements
    Exam Tutorial: Review type of exam questions

Exam Description Exam Topics Recommended Training Additional Resources
    Exam Description
    The 640-822 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) is the exam associated with the Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician certification and a tangible first step in achieving the Cisco Certified Network Associate certification. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) v1.0 course. This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills required to successfully install, operate, and troubleshoot a small branch office network. The exam includes topics on networking fundamentals; connecting to a WAN; basic security and wireless concepts; routing and switching fundamentals; the TCP/IP and OSI models; IP addressing; WAN technologies; operating and configuring IOS devices; configuring RIPv2, static and default routing; implementing NAT and DHCP; and configuring simple networks.

Exam Topics
    The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

*Describe the operation of data networks.
    Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    Select the components required to meet a given network specification
    Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    Describe common networking applications including web applications
    Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network
    Interpret network diagrams
    Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features

*Implement a small switched network

Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    Explain the technology and media access control method for Ethernet technologies
    Explain network segmentation and basic traffic management concepts
    Explain the operation of Cisco switches and basic switching concepts
    Perform, save and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands
    Implement and verify basic security for a switch (port security, deactivate ports)
    Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, autonegotiation, and switch hardware failures

*Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office
    Describe the need and role of addressing in a network " Create and apply an addressing scheme to a network
    Assign and verify valid IP addresses to hosts, servers, and networking devices in a LAN environment
    Explain the basic uses and operation of NAT in a small network connecting to one ISP
    Describe and verify DNS operation
    Describe the operation and benefits of using private and public IP addressing
    Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Implement static and dynamic addressing services for hosts in a LAN environment
    Identify and correct IP addressing issues

*Implement a small routed network
    Describe basic routing concepts (including: packet forwarding, router lookup process)
    Describe the operation of Cisco routers (including: router bootup process, POST, router components)
    Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect routers to other network devices and hosts
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RIPv2
    Access and utilize the router CLI to set basic parameters
    Connect, configure, and verify operation status of a device interface
    Verify device configuration and network connectivity using ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH or other utilities
    Perform and verify routing configuration tasks for a static or default route given specific routing requirements
    Manage IOS configuration files (including: save, edit, upgrade, restore)
    Manage Cisco IOS
    Implement password and physical security
    Verify network status and router operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands

*Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN
    Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
    Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
    Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
    Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
    Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks

*Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats
    Explain today's increasing network security threats and the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
    Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
    Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
    Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices

*Implement and verify WAN links
    Describe different methods for connecting to a WAN
    Configure and verify a basic WAN serial connection

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Don't believe what these teachers say, I went for a CCNA course a few months ago.

It turned out the course he taught was 8 years old, the exam it was preping for has actually been replaced twice!!

No mention of IPv6, Wireless, EIGRP and a few other key topics. We also wasted too much time on things removed from the exam such as ISDN dial up. And the lab equipment, shocking, Catalyst 1900 switches & 2500 routers. He also said you can use calculators in the exam.

I was really annoyed and I didn't even pay for the course. Needless to say I don't think I will ever use that provider again. I won't mention their name but will say they are based in Cardiff.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    SephStorm wrote: »
    hey I have a 2500! icon_sad.gif
    2500s are not too bad, the 1900 switches on the other hand!!
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikem2te wrote: »
    2500s are not too bad, the 1900 switches on the other hand!!

Oh, the 2500s are bad. Just about the only thing they're good for in a modern CCNA lab is to be an access-switch between other pieces of equipment.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    What about a CCENT lab? If not, I need to know what I should be looking at. I don't have a even moderate budget at the moment.