Options

Which path would you guys select?

I asked this question like a year ago, but alot can change in IT within a year. Im about to finally start my modules for my bachelors in CIS. I have to take three of the seven modules. Which three would you guys take?

Programming Design and UNIX
CST 3503/CS 503 Structured Program Design 3
CST 3603/CS 603 Object-Oriented Programming 3
CST 4703/CS 703 UNIX 3
Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
CST 3506/CS 506 Object-Oriented Systems Analysis 3
CST 3606/CS 606 Object-Oriented Systems Design 3

CST 4706/CS 706 Design of Object-Oriented Distributed Systems 3

Local Area Network
CST 3507/CS 507 Advanced Single-LAN Concepts 3
CST 3607/CS 607 Introduction to Local Area Network Connectivity 3
CST 4707/CS 707 LAN-Internet Connection 3
Client/Server Technology
CST 3508/CS 508 Design of Graphic User Interfaces 3
CST 3608/CS 608 Distributed Application Processing 3
CST 4708/CS 708 Client/Server Technologies 3
Database Systems Design
CST 3504/CS 504 Design of Microcomputer Databases 3
CST 3604/CS 604 Design of Distributed Databases 3
CST 4707/CS 704 Data Warehousing 3
Web Design
CST 3509/CS 509 Web Page Design and Implementation 3
CST 3609/CS 609 Web Programming 3
CST 4709/CS 709 Installing and Maintaining Web Servers 3
Information Security
CST 3510/CS 510 Computer Security 3
CST 3610/CS 610 Network Security Fundamentals 3
CST 4710/CS 710 Advanced Security Technologies 3

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tell us what you want to do long-term, and maybe we can help.
  • Options
    eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tell us what you want to do long-term, and maybe we can help.

If you like selfstudying and you're good at it, then you need to decide what do you like the best, and whats most difficult for you, in my case working with Cisco devices and stuff, i would have choose Linux which is a little hard for me to handle on my own i would choose LAN path cause i like that enough to go by myself and give it more study hours than linux, thats just my opinion.
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    I like the network and security aspect of the IT world. I pretty much know that I'm doing the the information Security and local Area Network modules. I'm stuck on the third one I should pick. I thought about web design, but i feel I can pretty much teach myself that through the web.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    see this is the point im trying to make, i believe you will still need to study after your degree and get certified in the field you want to work in. If its networking your interested in, im sorry but i dont think your degree and school program will help you their based on the courses you have listed.

I am not trying to discourage you but i am giving you my honest opinion, carve out some time to study for certifications. As far as network and security those look like very basic and introduction courses. Web Design is going to be useless.....unless your going for graphic design route...

Anyways good luck and finish school, however just keep in mind you will need certifications to go far in IT.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    I'm stuck on the third one I should pick.
    All the other options seem programming oriented -- so Option 1 which includes UNIX is probably the one that could be the most useful with the Network/Security tilt of your first two choices.

Of course, I started out as a UNIX Programmer (and got into networking to shuffle around source code and test data between development machines) so I may have a slight bias towards UNIX.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    All the other options seem programming oriented -- so Option 1 which includes UNIX is probably the one that could be the most useful with the Network/Security tilt of your first two choices.

Of course, I started out as a UNIX Programmer (and got into networking to shuffle around source code and test data between development machines) so I may have a slight bias towards UNIX.

I agree with Mike, if you are choosing areas connected with security than Unix is a great addition. People that are skilled in Linux/Unix have doors open to them. I wish I had the opportunity to take classes in Linux.
  • Options
    Can anybody tell me how that client/server technology module could be helpful?
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me how that client/server technology module could be helpful?

It's for multi-tiered development. i.e., separating database from application from web services. It's used in many corporate projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitier_architecture
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    120nm4n wrote: »
    It's for multi-tiered development. i.e., separating database from application from web services. It's used in many corporate projects.

Multitier architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Absolutely. I have done network design work for several three tier architecture datacentres.

Do the module.
  • Options
    It's time for me to pick that third module. I would like some more opinions before I select it this week. Please give me some input on which third one I should pick.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    I'm no expert.

But, since you're asking me what I would pick, I would pick:
    LAN, Information Security, and Client/Server.

If you're planning to become a programmer, you pick the other stuff.
  • Options
    videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat as you. I finish my last 2 classes in 2 weeks before I have to take classes in my concentration. I can choose Networking, Web Design, or Database Administration.
    I had originally planned on Networking, but am leaning toward Database Administration as there seem to be more jobs and avenues in that realm.
    I have more experience and certs in Networking, but do have database experience as well. I guess time will tell.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • Options
    laptop wrote: »
    I'm no expert.

But, since you're asking me what I would pick, I would pick:
    LAN, Information Security, and Client/Server.

If you're planning to become a programmer, you pick the other stuff.

I'm just not sure how valuable the client/server one is going to be.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All depends on what you're planning to do and your work experience. If you're going to be entry level almost anything the client/server will be valuable IMO. This is especially true if you find yourself in a helpdesk environment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.