Options

Bsci

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am curious, for those of you who have taken this test, did you read the exam certification guide first or Routing TCP/IP Vol I first (assuming you used these two books)? I have Routing TCP/IP Vol I and I am going to start in it today but I was wondering would it be better to read the BSCI book first? I am still focused on getting my listed certs done and I don't plan to start my CCNP/IP/SP run until around Feb or March so I am in no rush but I was just curious how much of a benefit I would get from this book while still studying on an NA level.

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I used the nugs, exam guide, and a lot of labbing. I wish I'd gotten TCP 1 and 2, but I didn't think about it at the time. For me it's beneficial to have the deepest understanding possible, I like to see the big picture.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I read Volume 1 of Routing TCP/IP long before I even considered Cisco Certification. But when I started studying for the CCNP and BSCI exam I started with the BSCI Authorized Self-Study Guide.

The Exam Certification Guide is fine for review before the exam, but in general, the Exam Certification Guides usually aren't a single source complete study solution for an exam -- except for the Odom CCNA Certification Library.

You can either do your "first read" of Doyle as "fun reading" now or you can read individual chapters while studying for the BSCI exam to help clear up anything the Self-Study or Exam Certification Guide (and lots of lab work) haven't made crystal clear.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    As others have mentioned, do not use the Exam Prep guide as, well, an exam prep guide. It falls *far* short of the material you need to know for BSCI. You can never go wrong with the Doyle volumes, they're reference material for every good net eng I know. The Authorized Self-Study guide is more in depth, but you have to make sure you read the appendices, including the ones that aren't in the book (have to get them online). Particularly when it comes to BGP - the book does not cover near enough. This is where Doyle will help you shore up your deficiencies. I'd also seriously recommend reading through Halabi's Internet Routing Architectures - If you plan on going through to a CCIE, it'll be required reading anyway. I've also found that the O'reily BGP book is pretty good, but it's not for beginners - the author assumes you have a certain level of familiarity with BGP, and if you don't, it won't be of much help.

Also, take any practice exams with a grain of salt. I've had to pass BSCI twice, and both times, no practice software was remotely close to an accurate representation of the exam. Not even Transcender, which I usually swear by. BSCI will test not only your knowledge, but your resolve.
  • Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    Although Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 is a great book, I feel a large portion of it is way out of scope for the BSCI. It covers theory and concepts extremely in depth, and I found myself memorizing all sorts of gritty details that were just not very helpful on the test.( Would be great for the CCIE written though ) I would use the material in it selectively. Do an overview of its chapters for OSPF, ISIS, and EIGRP but don't get to deep into it. I would focus a large majority of time doing labs, and getting used to the command syntax for different routing protocols. BGP is a large topic on that test, so find some supplemental reading for that too.

BTW: My #1 word of advice for this test is time management. Do not let yourself get stuck on a question, if you have to, skip it. Out of all the Cisco tests I've taken, this is the only one where I finished with less than a minute remaining.
  • Options
    As others have mentioned, do not use the Exam Prep guide as, well, an exam prep guide. Halabi's Internet Routing Architectures . I've also found that the O'reily BGP book is pretty good, but it's not for beginners - accurate representation of the exam. Not even Transcender, which I usually swear by. BSCI will test not only your knowledge, but your resolve.

Well you think the Exam prep guide would be a great exam prep guide icon_rolleyes.gif. That is a bit misleading but I have heard this from several sources. The Internet Routing and BGP books are on my, to order list, but I will probably order them after I get Routing TCP/IP Vol II (any word on a second edition?).

Transcender isn't enough icon_cry.gif oh darn, I love transcender...oh well. That is fine.
    yuriz43 wrote: »
    Although Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 is a great book, I feel a large portion of it is way out of scope for the BSCI. It covers theory and concepts extremely in depth, and I found myself memorizing all sorts of gritty details that were just not very helpful on the test.( Would be great for the CCIE written though ) I would use the material in it selectively. Do an overview of its chapters for OSPF, ISIS, and EIGRP but don't get to deep into it. I would focus a large majority of time doing labs, and getting used to the command syntax for different routing protocols. BGP is a large topic on that test, so find some supplemental reading for that too.

BTW: My #1 word of advice for this test is time management. Do not let yourself get stuck on a question, if you have to, skip it. Out of all the Cisco tests I've taken, this is the only one where I finished with less than a minute remaining.

I am very much ok with it being out of scope for the BSCI I am more concerned with getting my knowledge up to CCNP/CCIE and beyond level then actually getting the certs icon_wink.gificon_study.gif. And thanks for the tip. I haven't really had time management issues with any of the other 3 certs I have taken so this will be something new.

My planned study materials for the BSCI are Routing TCP Vol I (owned), Self Study Guide, Lab Manual, and CBTS (owned). I am waiting on what will happen with the NP come January but I may just buy the self study guide/lab manual anyway rather than simply wait and see.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well you think the Exam prep guide would be a great exam prep guide icon_rolleyes.gif. That is a bit misleading but I have heard this from several sources. The Internet Routing and BGP books are on my, to order list, but I will probably order them after I get Routing TCP/IP Vol II (any word on a second edition?).

Transcender isn't enough icon_cry.gif oh darn, I love transcender...oh well. That is fine.

The TCP/IP Routing books are expensive, but worth it. They should be in everyones library. And actually the price isn't too bad if you order from Cisco Press directly. If you fill out their short questionaire, they give you like a 30% discount off list price off the bat, and if you order more than $75 bucks, they add another 5% discount onto it. Right now they've got a promotion if you order 3 books, take 40% off, so you could probably get both Routing TCP/IP volumes + Internet Routing Architectures for around $150. It's worth spending. The other reason I love ordering from Cisco Press directly is that they'll ship it via ground for free, but they give you instant access to the book via Safari for 45 days as soon as you order, so you can start reading as soon as you check out. I wish Amazon had that kind of deal for the non Cisco Press books I've picked up.
  • Options
    The TCP/IP Routing books are expensive, but worth it. They should be in everyones library. And actually the price isn't too bad if you order from Cisco Press directly. If you fill out their short questionaire, they give you like a 30% discount off list price off the bat, and if you order more than $75 bucks, they add another 5% discount onto it. Right now they've got a promotion if you order 3 books, take 40% off, so you could probably get both Routing TCP/IP volumes + Internet Routing Architectures for around $150. It's worth spending. The other reason I love ordering from Cisco Press directly is that they'll ship it via ground for free, but they give you instant access to the book via Safari for 45 days as soon as you order, so you can start reading as soon as you check out. I wish Amazon had that kind of deal for the non Cisco Press books I've picked up.

Thanks for the good find. When I order my next set of cisco books (Routing Vol II, Internet Routing Architectures, and some firewall books) I will order directly from cisco (if the price is right).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you ever check the used books on Amazon? I just bought $100 worth of them, and for most of them, the $3.99 shipping was more than the book, and they were all in great condition.
  • Options
    I buy a lot of used (fiction) books on Amazon too. Seems like they're not too cheap for the current tech books though.icon_sad.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Do you ever check the used books on Amazon? I just bought $100 worth of them, and for most of them, the $3.99 shipping was more than the book, and they were all in great condition.

Wait wait wait....Amazon sells USED books as well icon_eek.gif?

Must. Check. Out.
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh my! Where are my manners!? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wait wait wait....Amazon sells USED books as well icon_eek.gif?

Must. Check. Out.

I have bought most of my textbooks used from Amazon. You can usually find them for 50% of the new price.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

I do, actually, for my non Cisco Press books. My copies of TCP/IP Illustrated, Interconnections, and several O'Reiley books have come from Amazon used. I think my biggest steals were picking up copies of Caslow and Clark for under 4 bucks each.

For the popular books, like Routing TCP/IP, you can get them new for just about what they're selling for used when you get the discount up to 35%. And they're brand new, free shipping, and instant Safari Access, which is why I go ahead and buy direct from them now. I'm ok with paying 5 to 10 bucks extra for a pristine copy that I don't have to be at the whims of the shipper (for the most part, my used ships have all been very prompt and well handled, but there have been a couple incidents)
  • Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    I am waiting on what will happen with the NP come January but I may just buy the self study guide/lab manual anyway rather than simply wait and see.

Yeah, I wouldn't let the new NP course hold me back. From what I've read the BSCI and BCMSN are more or less unchanged. Besides, the older tests will still be available for another year.
  • Options
    yuriz43 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't let the new NP course hold me back. From what I've read the BSCI and BCMSN are more or less unchanged. Besides, the older tests will still be available for another year.

I may just get BSCI and BCMSN self study guides if I can find them for a good price.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I buy all my books used on Amazon. I can't even tell they're used.

I used the Self-Study guide almost exclusively. I did thumb through the TCP/IP Vol I, but it isn't necessary. If you have any gaps in knowledge you can fill it in on Cisco's website. That and search around on people's CCNP blogs. There's a lot more than I realized and they're studying the same thing you are, so it's quite relevant.