Options

2511 image problem

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
I got a 2511 from a friend and i'm trying to upgrade it from netboot to an IOS. I found the instructions on cisco's website but there is just one problem.

Cisco says:

Connect the Ethernet interface 0 of your router to the network, through which you can reach the T.F.T.P. server. Configure the IP address on the Ethernet interface of the router.

Router(boot)>enable
Router(boot)#configure terminal
Router(boot)(config)#interface ethernet 0
Router(boot)(config-if)#ip address 10.77.241.160 255.255.255.0
Router(boot)(config-if)#no shutdown

but when I try those commands this is what I get:

Enter configuration commands, one per line.
Edit with DELETE, CTRL/W, and CTRL/U; end with CTRL/Z

It does not give me a prompt. I have tried just entering in the information to see if it would take all the commands at once and paste them in but I didn't get anywhere. I also tried to search the forum and was unable to find anything about this.

Any idea's?
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Not sure; is the router locked up after typing conf t or it just drops you back to exec prompt?

I had to recover my 871w this weekend; lucky me it supports tftpdnld, but it looks like 2500 series doesn't.

However, I noticed something about transferring an image over a console cable with x modem.

I found a Cisco doc on recovery via console port only. It runs under rommon; cntl+break key during device boot up under hyper term in XP.

hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml#examples

I know the link above doesn't mention 2500, but I found it under a 2500 series section:
    hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/tsd_products_support_install_and_upgrade_technotes_list.html
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    when i do conf t this is what happens

**I can type anything here but there is no prompt. its almost like im adding a banner**
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is this an old IGS version?

Assume it works and type (or paste) your commands.

Maybe do a show run or show start before the configure terminal to check the current configuration. A show version command could be a good idea to get an idea about the ROM Bios Version (and emergency boot IOS version) and config register values.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    i tried, when it comes up i put in

interface ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut

and use the CTRL/W or CTRL/U but it does not accept the commands. screwy.

i wonder if its hosed...
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Did you type the CTRL-Z (or exit or end if those are supported) to exit configuration mode?
  • Options
    yeah i tried all 3 options, it will back out but nothing is different
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    So you did the show run before and after?

Did the show version do anything? Any output you might share since I don't have time for 20 question.

Without the IGS answer or version information -- not sure if the CTRL/W CTRL/U have the same functions as the link shows...
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6134/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00808498a3.html#wp1061311
  • Options
    ill do that when i get home tonight and post it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    show config

Router(boot)#show config

Using 464 out of 32762 bytes
    !
    version 12.0
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname BIRD
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial0
    --More--
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial1
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    !
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    line 1 16
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    login
    !
    end

show version

Router(boot)# show version
    3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 9.14(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Patchlevel = 9.1(12.6)
    Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 28-Sep-94 14:10 by chansen

System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(9.1), SOFTWARE

Router uptime is 4 minutes
    System restarted by power-on
    Running default software

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision C) with 16380K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board serial number 01492843
    DDN X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2 and BFE compliant.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
    2 Serial network interfaces.
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Device not programmable)
    Configuration register is 0x2142

Router(boot)#
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    looks like bad flash, you may have to buy a new flash card on ebay.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    You'll need to upgrade the ROM boot on the router, check this Cisco site.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2144;jsessionid=916BC67E9814A0510EF57A6CD04F8625.node0

Hope this Help. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jeanathan wrote: »
    Not sure; is the router locked up after typing conf t or it just drops you back to exec prompt?

I had to recover my 871w this weekend; lucky me it supports tftpdnld, but it looks like 2500 series doesn't.

However, I noticed something about transferring an image over a console cable with x modem.

I found a Cisco doc on recovery via console port only. It runs under rommon; cntl+break key during device boot up under hyper term in XP.

hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml#examples

I know the link above doesn't mention 2500, but I found it under a 2500 series section:
    hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/tsd_products_support_install_and_upgrade_technotes_list.html

Jeanathan is right.

youll have to use disaster recovery via the console port. Ive seen this before. its probably due to corupted boot flash. but your configs stored in NVRAM should still be there.

whats wierd is that the (boot) prompt means its in boot rommon mode, but I beleive thats a 2141, and a 2142 register value is regular rommon mode.

either way you should be able to use xmodem to reinstall the IOS.

download an IOS image, make sure its the right image for your 2511. then connect via the console port. make sure you change your baud rate before copying over the IOS or it will take a long time.

after its done youll have to reload the router. then reset the register settings back to boot to NVRAM.
  • Options
    elegua wrote: »
    You'll need to upgrade the ROM boot on the router,
    +1

Or you need to install original equipment supported Cisco Flash.
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(9.1), SOFTWARE
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Device not programmable)

The 4.x ROMs don't support 3rd party 16Meg Flash
    trying to upgrade it from netboot to an IOS.
    but when I try those commands this is what I get:

It does not give me a prompt.

And that 4.x ROM and RXBoot version also explains why it was set to netboot (since the Flash was probably upgraded and wasn't supported) and you have that old CLI.
  • Options
    I appreciate all your help. so I found boot rom on Ebay, from the doc I found on Cisco.com it shows 2 bootrom's do I need to purchase 2 or do I get 2 when I buy this

BOOTROM UPGRADE CISCO 2500 SERIES ROUTER BOOT-2500 ROM - eBay (item 160347773276 end time Jan-05-10 19:30:58 PST)
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    the doc I found on Cisco.com it shows 2 bootrom's do I need to purchase 2 or do I get 2 when I buy this

It includes the 2 ROMs -- that's the FW1 & FW2 from the description.
    Rom Version 11.0.10C.XB2 (FW1 & FW2)

Here's a cheaper one...
    CISCO MEMORY 2500 SERIES BOOTROM UPGRADE - eBay (item 380184012187 end time Jan-01-10 08:34:09 PST)

When I upgraded my 4.x ROMs to the 11.x ROMs there was an eBay vendor in Indiana selling the upgrade kit for $7.
  • Options
    Thanks mike! I ordered the Boot ROM so it should be here within a week or so. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I can get this beast up and running!

Even though owning equipment is more expensive it defiantly gives you a better understanding of what can go wrong hardware wise. I probably would have not thought about the boot ROM. But now that I've beaten my head against a wall and asked for help I know what to look for now. I appreciate everyone's help!
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    O.K. so I swapped out the Boot ROM and just like you guys said, it worked. loaded the new IOS last night and now I have to fish around to find scripts to help program the router.

I appreciate everyone's help.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison