Options

what would you do in the situation...

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
I noticed a job that I would like to apply for. Its pretty much the same job that I do now
but at another place Its at a better place and I think I would like the job and would like to work there.
the only problem is it says on the job descrition that the pay will be £2000 a year less than my current job.

If I apply do you think I should ask if they could match my current salary at the interview and get them to up it to what Im on now?
Or do you think its just Tuff and I would have to take a pay cut If I really want to take this job?

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Everything is negotiable. I'd get an interview. Don't tell them your salary(they don't need to know, and you're tipping your hand by telling them). When the salary topic comes up, shoot $5k more than you're currently making. Best case scenario, you get a raise. Worst case, they refuse to budge and you haven't lost anything. Start reading up on salary negotiation tips online.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Salaries are always negotiable in these situations. It is about selling yourself as much as possivle using your experience (always be honest) and usually at interviews they will ask what salary are you looking for. Just tell them upfront it cant be less than what you are on now because of living costs/travel costs and what not.

Good luck
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Pash wrote: »
    Just tell them upfront it cant be less than what you are on now because of living costs/travel costs and what not.

I disagree with this. When the topic of salary comes up, it's for one of two reasons: 1) they want to weed out those they don't want to pay more than X or 2) They really like you. #1 is usually in lower-level jobs, with #2 being in the more senior level jobs.

A common mistake is telling them what you currently make, or what salary is the lowest you'll take. They'll base their offer around that number. Instead, when they ask what you want for a salary, ask them what the range for the position is. If they ask what your current/previous salary is/was, tell them that it's not applicable to what they offering, and that you are quite certain you can come to a consensus. Then immediately turn it back on them and ask what the range for the job is. Use sites like salary.com, payscale.com and glassdoor.com to get an idea of what you're worth. I usually try to go for the high side of average, or slightly above average(after finding out what their range is, of course).

Above all else, NEVER REVEAL YOUR HAND. You're not going to poker games and showing your two pair before you bet, are you? Same with salary negotiation. Their job is to get you for the lowest you'll work. Your job is to get them to pay you s high as they will concede. Your salary will usually fall in the middle, which is where your salesmanship comes into play.

Never bring the salary topic up yourself, either. Wait for them. (same with any of your compensation package)
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.