MS where to start?

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am moving this from another thread:

I have bounced the idea of doing the MS path around in my mind for about 6 months publicly and about a year privately. I have come to the conclusion (actually I have been forced) that I need to get some MS certs on my resume and even though it doesn’t directly fit in with what I want to do, it should make me a bit more marketable.
As someone who is (reluctantly) going to head down the MS path (company is pushing for all arounders), starting with the 290, I am curious, what is it that I need to learn that is not on the exams? I mean I know that is a loaded question, but as far as windows OS is concerned are there any books that I should pick up to gain a deeper understanding of common task? I know I am going to pick up a book on powershell but other than that I am not sure. Since I probably won’t start mixing MS into my studies into after the CCNA:S is done, I have some time to decided so I am in no rush.
Also another question is the MCSA (possibly MCSA: S) and MCITP: SA combination as “strong” as the MCSA and MCSE? I still see many jobs asking for the MCSA/MCSE and I have seen very few jobs asking for MCITPs in my area but it is almost 2010 and server 2003 is 7 years old. I am curious if Win7/2008 would be a better “learning platform” than 2003/XP. Of course both would be good, I am thinking about the short-term future. Any MS guys and girls want to give me some words of wisdom?

Comments

  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708
    knwminus wrote: »
    I am moving this from another thread:

    I have bounced the idea of doing the MS path around in my mind for about 6 months publicly and about a year privately. I have come to the conclusion (actually I have been forced) that I need to get some MS certs on my resume and even though it doesn’t directly fit in with what I want to do, it should make me a bit more marketable.
    As someone who is (reluctantly) going to head down the MS path (company is pushing for all arounders), starting with the 290, I am curious, what is it that I need to learn that is not on the exams? I mean I know that is a loaded question, but as far as windows OS is concerned are there any books that I should pick up to gain a deeper understanding of common task? I know I am going to pick up a book on powershell but other than that I am not sure. Since I probably won’t start mixing MS into my studies into after the CCNA:S is done, I have some time to decided so I am in no rush.
    Also another question is the MCSA (possibly MCSA: S) and MCITP: SA combination as “strong” as the MCSA and MCSE? I still see many jobs asking for the MCSA/MCSE and I have seen very few jobs asking for MCITPs in my area but it is almost 2010 and server 2003 is 7 years old. I am curious if Win7/2008 would be a better “learning platform” than 2003/XP. Of course both would be good, I am thinking about the short-term future. Any MS guys and girls want to give me some words of wisdom?

    Forget about what's not on the exams and only worry about passing each one. 290/291 are not easy if you don't work with the technology everyday. In fact forget about MS completely and get your CCNA:S first if that's your plan. MS technology is very dependant on the organization. Some things flat out don't work in some companies while are a breeze to implement at others. The ITP series was nowhere near as technically difficult as the MCSE for me but it's more geared towards fulfilling a specifi role while the mcse does everything. Early in your career experience far outweighs certificates.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher A cornfield in OhioMember Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MCITP track is "easier" and I would suggest that. By easier I mean the questions were less wordy and less confusing.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    Forget about what's not on the exams and only worry about passing each one. 290/291 are not easy if you don't work with the technology everyday. In fact forget about MS completely and get your CCNA:S first if that's your plan. MS technology is very dependant on the organization. Some things flat out don't work in some companies while are a breeze to implement at others. The ITP series was nowhere near as technically difficult as the MCSE for me but it's more geared towards fulfilling a specifi role while the mcse does everything. Early in your career experience far outweighs certificates.

    When I was hired on for this job, the MCSA/CCNA was listed as a requirement. Obviously I have the CCNA now but no MCP/SA. I need to talk with my manager to be 100% sure but it looks like I am going to be tier II on servers as well as routers/switches/etc so I will need to brush up on my MS server and *nix knowledge. I also work on machines out of my home and 100% percent of the people are using Windows (for now) so that learning more about windows well help me out in that regard as well. Also the place that I really want to work (the Air Force Base) has many contractor jobs that require MS certs.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher A cornfield in OhioMember Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I sent you a PM regarding a position I was approached with at WPAFB.

    I have a ton of study material you will find helpful. I'll put something together for you and we can do a drop off at a mutually convenient location soon.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I sent you a PM regarding a position I was approached with at WPAFB.

    I have a ton of study material you will find helpful. I'll put something together for you and we can do a drop off at a mutually convenient location soon.

    PM sent.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    GAngel wrote: »
    The ITP series was nowhere near as technically difficult as the MCSE for me but it's more geared towards fulfilling a specifi role while the mcse does everything.

    Its funny you say this because MS says the purpose behind the ITP EA is to show a breadth of knowledge covering various infrastructure applications and not just covering core AD like much of the MCSE is.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its funny you say this because MS says the purpose behind the ITP EA is to show a breadth of knowledge covering various infrastructure applications and not just covering core AD like much of the MCSE is.

    I'm curious where you stand Hyper-Me? What is your take on the MCSA vs MCITP starting point?
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its funny you say this because MS says the purpose behind the ITP EA is to show a breadth of knowledge covering various infrastructure applications and not just covering core AD like much of the MCSE is.

    I'm sure thats what they say about every one of there certs. I learned very little going from 03 to 08. In reality it wasn't even worth the cost of the exams. I'd go as far as saying based on what i picked up I'd rather hire an MCSA over an EA.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    I'm sure thats what they say about every one of there certs. I learned very little going from 03 to 08. In reality it wasn't even worth the cost of the exams. I'd go as far as saying based on what i picked up I'd rather hire an MCSA over an EA.

    Would you hire an MCSA(sec)+MCITP:SA over an MCSA/MCSE
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708
    knwminus wrote: »
    Would you hire an MCSA(sec)+MCITP:SA over an MCSA/MCSE

    Each person is different that would be down to how they do in the interview. In theory there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    GAngel wrote: »
    I'm sure thats what they say about every one of there certs. I learned very little going from 03 to 08. In reality it wasn't even worth the cost of the exams. I'd go as far as saying based on what i picked up I'd rather hire an MCSA over an EA.

    I agree, the EA was litteraly focused on what the differences were between 03 and 08. Working on my SA/SE track was really helped me to LEARN the AD/DNS etc world more in depth. Those exams are much more difficult, both because of the wording (they are very wordy, with whole paragraphs for questions) but also in the technical depth.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

    Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
Sign In or Register to comment.