Options

Christmas gift? My HD TV is toasted

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
The last thing I wanted was my 37" Toshiba HD TV go south! It doesn't turn on, no power.

I bought it two years ago and out of warranty. Anybody give me some suggestion. Should I buy new one, take it to a tech or try to fix it myself?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Invest in a projector! Rather then another TV.

Then you can make the screen as large as you like (assuming you have at least 1 large white or light colored wall)

Some very fine deals for projectors typically this time of year.

Otherwise, what model # do you have? You could attempt to repair it (if you are into that sort of thing (I would myself, but some folks dislike that thought). Post the model and I'll help you look around for some part or simply google them and search out repair options. It may be your model is a 'disposable' one...or that you could obtain some parts for $50-$500 and repair it.

Personally, the more I'd go over $300 on parts that may or maynot work, I'd be leaning toward a newer TV....or one awesome LCD for your PC!! (or a projector) ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks for the info. The model is 37HL57 and below is the link

Toshiba 37HL57 - 37" LCD TV - Flat-panel TVs - CNET Archive
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can probably get it repaired, but the cost of LCD panels has gone down dramatically. I got a Sharp Aquos 1080p 120hz 52" for $1500 in February from Amazon.com. It's only December and the TV is down to $1,181.69 shipped. You can get 42" panels for like $500-$600 now. I'd say that since your TV is 720p max you should just upgrade. If you repair it you're just going to want something newer later down the road anyway.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Invest in a projector!

Downside is you gotta replace the bulbs, which are often a few hundred dollars. Ditto with rear projection TVs.

I'd look at a new unit, personally. I would go with a better brand like Samsung if you're on a budget, Sony, or Sharp. My personal advice is if you don't care about making the size bigger or smaller with a projection, and reliability and low maintenance are more important, go with an LCD or DLP.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All i know is that there is no point in watching tv if it's not in high def. I've been totally ruined by the good life.

There is supposed to be a new 3d tv coming out this winter. The price of regular 1080i/p tv's should drop even further.