Security+ only valid for 2 years???

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
Is the Security+ really only valid for 2 years?

I got my Certificate in the mail today it say it is my certification is only valid through April 2012, which is just over 2 years.

I was under the impression the Network+ and Security+ were certs that did not expire.

Does 2 years seem a bit short to anyone? I mean the CCNA is even good for 3 years.

Comments

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    abefroman wrote: »
    Is the Security+ really only valid for 2 years?

    I got my Certificate in the mail today it say it is my certification is only valid through April 2012, which is just over 2 years.

    I was under the impression the Network+ and Security+ were certs that did not expire.

    Does 2 years seem a bit short to anyone? I mean the CCNA is even good for 3 years.

    My comptias say current for like 2 years but Security+ (and all other comptias) do not expire. Of course your Sec+ ages and your could be certified on a previous Sec+ test but it doesn't expire.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The actual certification does not expire, however the exam objectives that you are tested on does. It is one of the ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 Accredited Certifications, see here for a list of them.

    -Ken
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    The actual certification does not expire, however the exam objectives that you are tested on does. It is one of the ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 Accredited Certifications, see here for a list of them.

    -Ken

    According to the cert is received it does expired, on the Certificate is states:
    "December 19, 2009
    Date Certified
    This certification is valid through April 2010"

    To me that means the certificate expires and is no longer valid after that date.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAMember Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    abefroman wrote: »
    According to the cert is received it does expired, on the Certificate is states:
    "December 19, 2009
    Date Certified
    This certification is valid through April 2010"

    To me that means the certificate expires and is no longer valid after that date.

    If you go onto CompTIA's website, and login to your account it will say it never expires.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    If you go onto CompTIA's website, and login to your account it will say it never expires.

    That's right icon_thumright.gif

    -ken
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    abefroman wrote: »
    According to the cert is received it does expired, on the Certificate is states:
    "December 19, 2009
    Date Certified
    This certification is valid through April 2010"

    To me that means the certificate expires and is no longer valid after that date.

    That is for the ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 accreditation. However once you have gained a Comptia credential (until they change their policy) by passing the exam, you have it for life.

    -Ken
  • GeeLoGeeLo A+,N+,S+,M+,C+,CySA+,CCT+ Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    abefroman wrote: »
    According to the cert is received it does expired, on the Certificate is states:
    "December 19, 2009
    Date Certified
    This certification is valid through April 2010"

    To me that means the certificate expires and is no longer valid after that date.

    I have not received my certificate yet, if it does say that on my certificate, then I am going to have a big issue with that, because from their web site says the certificate does not suppose to expired. If they are doing a double standard like that, I feel that is a bait and switch, as the main reason I went for the certification, was that the cert did not expire like other certifications. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAMember Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GeeLo wrote: »
    I have not received my certificate yet, if it does say that on my certificate, then I am going to have a big issue with that, because from their web site says the certificate does not suppose to expired. If they are doing a double standard like that, I feel that is a bait and switch, as the main reason I went for the certification, was that the cert did not expire like other certifications. icon_rolleyes.gif

    Only the objectives expire. This is what the new certification looks like:

    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/49357-new-certificate-style-comptia.html
  • imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+, Network+ Sec+ all now expire!

    CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

    CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications are now valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. The change brings the CompTIA certifications in line with the practice of other major providers of certifications for IT professionals, such as Cisco, Microsoft and Oracle.

    The renewal policy also is required for these three certifications to maintain their accreditation and compliance with internationally accepted standards for assessing personnel certification programs (ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024). CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications earned the ISO 17024 accreditation from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 2008. ISO requires that individuals have a way to renew the currency of their certification on a regular basis. In CompTIA’s case, renewal will occur every three years.

    CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I can't see myself paying comptia prices for renewal. They just don't do much for me at this stage in my career life cycle. I'll probably just let mine lapse an expire unless I decide to participate in more beta exams.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    undomiel wrote: »
    I can't see myself paying comptia prices for renewal. They just don't do much for me at this stage in my career life cycle. I'll probably just let mine lapse an expire unless I decide to participate in more beta exams.

    Of course, many companies pay for the certifications for employees.

    I'm currently working on a contract that requires people to have Security+ certification to get hired, but to renew the certifications the company will pay just as they pay employees to take and renew other certifications such as the CISSP.

    Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Tip Of The Day
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No way I ever renew my CompTIA certs unless I'm required to for a job. They are entry-level and by the time they expire you should have better certs under your belt anyway.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
Sign In or Register to comment.