Options

Listing certs on your resume?

A few coworkers and I were having a discussion on listing certs on your resume. There were a few points on this matter.

Some people were "irritated" by people who listed lesser certs (i.e, CCNA and CCNP, MCSA and MCSE, RCHT and RCHE) and certs that proved the lesser's knowledge. They felt they were doing nothing but resume padding, and that by designating that you were say, a CCNP, you were obviously a CCNA and shouldn't list it.

Other people felt that you should list all of your certs on your resume, because of online keyword searches. i.e, if you have your CCNP and only list that, a recruiter/HR person who types in "CCNA" will not discover that person's resume. Therefore, you should list both your CCNA and CCNP to maximize hits on your resume. Or both RHCT and RHCE, etc.

Another debate going on was should you spell out your entire certification or just acronym. Or use both? For instance, for MCSE should you put just "MCSE" or should you put "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer", or should you list it as "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)". One side of the argument is that by listing only the name, you are once again limited hits on your resume when people search for "MCSE". But then should you spell out the entire cert as well?

Just curious to see how TE members go about doing this! icon_thumright.gif
"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    These threads are fun.

I list redundant certs on mine to hit keywords. If a position is looking for a CCNA or above, and I only have CCNP on my resume some HR goon might not even contact me.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I list them all, because of the keyword concept. No longer are the days of where your resume is actually looked over by real eyes until deeper into the HR process.

I list the full name and acronym of mine because i have the newer MCITP/MCTS and a lot of places dont even know what that is, much less that its micrsoft. If I had MCSE i would just put MCSE, probably.
  • Options
    I have to agree with everyone else, I list them all. I am currently reviewing resumes to hire 6 engineers and I do not mind when they list all their certs. it only takes a second for me to read

YOU EARNED THEM SHOW THEM OFF icon_cheers.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with everyone else. It would suck to get passed over just because you left that lower cert out and the search never found your resume. I also do the acronym and spell the out for the same reason.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I list them all like this Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE). But I try to minimize resume real estate by putting them all in kind of a paragraph format... Like

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), and so on

As you see I usually split them per vendor depending....
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with what everyone else says above. I did want to add something though. With all of the interviews I've had for probably, the last two years or so, the phone interviewer has asked if I had an updated resume aside from the one posted. That's usually where I go back to the job req. for the job in question and tweak it to match the job description. It's also where I trim down my cert and education stuff to be more appropriate for the job. I think that employers are also becoming more aware of the process required to be "seen" by HR bots and so they ask for the ubiquitous "current resume."
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I list them all as well on the online version of the resume. I also have a version that I use to give to the people I meet with in person.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Some people were "irritated" by people who listed lesser certs (i.e, CCNA and CCNP, MCSA and MCSE, RCHT and RCHE) and certs that proved the lesser's knowledge. They felt they were doing nothing but resume padding, and that by designating that you were say, a CCNP, you were obviously a CCNA and shouldn't list it.

I agree with this to a degree, which is why my cert listing here is so sparse. I don't feel the need to list my Net+, CCNA, or CCDA, as I have certs which supersede them.

But on a resume? No thanks, they all get listed, in both formats, acronyms and full title.
  • Options

One's knowledge and ability to take a test is what is measured by these exams. Experience is something entirely different.

Look at this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/49471-stupid-things-youve-done.html

I have seen tons of highly knowledgeable people screw up a simple task because they lacked the experience needed to consider what could happen if... We've all done it, right? You can learn theory and good technique for any craft from a book and from practice in a lab type environment. But it's only the experience of doing and messing up or seeing another person mess up that gives a person the sensitivity to danger and awareness of their surroundings that makes one a true professional. CCNP shows a measure of ability and knowledge, nothing more. One's work history and references show how and to what degree they practice their profession.

If you ask me people should stop confusing certifications as showing any degree of experience or degree of professional skill. For the most part it is nothing more than if presented with problem X I know how to do Y and Z. The devil is in the details and a CCNP is no guarantee that the individual has wrestled with the devil.
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently working on getting my CCNP. Should I list each individual exam that I have passed or wait til I complete my CCNP?

CCNP(ONT passed)
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    One's knowledge and ability to take a test is what is measured by these exams. Experience is something entirely different.

Look at this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/49471-stupid-things-youve-done.html

I have seen tons of highly knowledgeable people screw up a simple task because they lacked the experience needed to consider what could happen if... We've all done it, right? You can learn theory and good technique for any craft from a book and from practice in a lab type environment. But it's only the experience of doing and messing up or seeing another person mess up that gives a person the sensitivity to danger and awareness of their surroundings that makes one a true professional. CCNP shows a measure of ability and knowledge, nothing more. One's work history and references show how and to what degree they practice their profession.

If you ask me people should stop confusing certifications as showing any degree of experience or degree of professional skill. For the most part it is nothing more than if presented with problem X I know how to do Y and Z. The devil is in the details and a CCNP is no guarantee that the individual has wrestled with the devil.

I agree 100%. However, this wasn't meant to be a "certification vs experience" thread or anything like that. Simply about how you list them.

But while we are on the subject lol, whether you or I believe what certifications were intended for, prove or don't prove, etc ... HR people do look for them and do filter for them. *shrug*
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Your resume will be mined for keywords far more than it is read. The job you want may be looking for CCNA or CCNP.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i list all as well, these are educational achievements, be proud of your accomplishments.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have mad skills, lots of experience and industry contacts, and people are always calling you about jobs, then it doesn't matter all that much what you put on your resume.

Everyone else should do what maximizes their chance of getting their resume pulled from a pile (or database) and having a REAL PERSON eventually look at it -- and that doesn't happen if they can't get their resume past the Keyword Search/Buzzword Glance.

I think if you got it, list it -- unless you're 100% positive that you'd never work for a company that lists both the CCNA and CCNP as a requirement for a job (or posted one job advertisement to fill multiple positions).

But if you don't need the "resume filler" then you don't have to list certifications that weren't listed as job requirements and that you don't think will help you land the job. And if you're not prepared to answer questions during an interview about a certification, don't list it.

And for how to list certifications, I'd spell out the full Certification Name for a manager that may be reading it later and put in the accepted abbreviation for the Techies/Search Software.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    But while we are on the subject lol, whether you or I believe what certifications were intended for, prove or don't prove, etc ... HR people do look for them and do filter for them. *shrug*

Yes, you are right and that was the point I was getting at. If you have properly earned your CCNP, not putting a CCNP on your resume would be stupid.If you earned your CCNA and got a job working with Cisco equipment and a year later you continued your studies to complete the CCNP why should you not put it on your resume? Because of someone else's condescending opinion that you don't deserve it? NO WAY!
  • Options
    Yes, you are right and that was the point I was getting at. If you have properly earned your CCNP, not putting a CCNP on your resume would be stupid.If you earned your CCNA and got a job working with Cisco equipment and a year later you continued your studies to complete the CCNP why should you not put it on your resume? Because of someone else's condescending opinion that you don't deserve it? NO WAY!

icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif Exactly!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Online resumes get every individual cert, including all acronyms, full title, sub specialty, every minute detail.

Human resumes - either cold contacts or the "send me your updated resume" resume - are trimmed down 1) to emphasize on items listed in the job posting; 2) eliminate redundant information that could be construed as resume padding; 3) make your strengths stand out.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently hold a CompTIA A+ (2007 Edition) and CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition). Is it a NO-NO to list expired certifications on resumes? Or should I keep it vague and list CompTIA A+ only?
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    Posting the same cert twice? Yeah, that's overkill.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    For something like A+, if i had both 2007 and 2009 I would list CompTIA A+ 2009

That way they know that you have up-to-date skills on that subject matter.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't give em any excuse to pass you over. List your lesser certs but stick them in a keyword section at the end of your resume. That way it won't clog up your certs section.

Presentation is still a must and your first page must be easy to read.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Everyone else should do what maximizes their chance of getting their resume pulled from a pile (or database) and having a REAL PERSON eventually look at it -- and that doesn't happen if they can't get their resume past the Keyword Search/Buzzword Glance.
    +1

When it comes to resumes, it's all about keyword searches. You can't expect HR people or every hiring manager to know that CCNP implies CCNA, CWSP implies CWNA, or MSCE:Security might imply Security+. And a searching algorithm certainly won't know unless someone bothers to program specific rules into it. Therefore, you really should list all your certs on your resume, if only to aide the search engines in finding you in a virtual pile of resumes.
  • Options
    IT_FAN wrote: »
    Is it a NO-NO to list expired certifications on resumes?

My gut instinct would be to say, No. They could discover this on their own, and then wonder why you were a bit dishonest about it.

However, I wouldn't know for sure. I don't have an expireable cert yet :) Maybe a more experienced individual could comment.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My gut instinct would be to say, No. They could discover this on their own, and then wonder why you were a bit dishonest about it.

However, I wouldn't know for sure. I don't have an expireable cert yet :) Maybe a more experienced individual could comment.

I would put something like: CCNA (expired)

Yes I stole this idea from Blargoe's certification list. :D
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    I list my expired certs on my resume. I really should add "(expired)" next to each, and the year I received every cert too, but I just haven't bothered to yet.
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    The safest thing is to list all achieved certs when you are applying online. For me, I list mine as MCSA Messaging 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003. In this case, they will notice that I am already certified for 2000 and they will give more wieght on it considering that have more experience than others. The important thing is to be selected by the HR or whoever will review the resume.
  • Options
    Maybe it depends on "how" expired it is. I got my CCNA in early 2001, never renewed it, and haven't worked on production Cisco gear in 6 or 7 years. On my latest resume revision, I list my certification dates and list my CCNA as expired... I was toying with the idea of not listing it anymore. However I wouldn't want to be excluded from consideration in the future for a job where "CCNA required" = "basic entry level knowledge" rather than "recent experience with Cisco"... and those postings are out there.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    jonfc3sjonfc3s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My vote is always list them! Keywords on a resume do so much more than people realize.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I wish I didn't have to list them all (ie CCNA when I have CCNP), but as said, its better to clutter than to be missed for a silly reason. I would HOPE that an HR department would know better than to look for CCNA only and not CCNP, but Im positive its not the case.

I do however, drop the 'lower' certs off my resume as my career progresses. For example, I don't put network+ or my Microsoft certs on my resume. Some may disagree, but when Im going after the CCIE, net+ is just clutter (I also want nothing to do with microsoft admin). I leave A+ on just because its so widely known and searched for. I will likely drop my CCNA/DA soon as I am at the point where people are looking for experience more than entry certs.

Its all about playing the game.
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote: »

I do however, drop the 'lower' certs off my resume as my career progresses. For example, I don't put network+ or my Microsoft certs on my resume. Some may disagree, but when Im going after the CCIE, net+ is just clutter (I also want nothing to do with microsoft admin). I leave A+ on just because its so widely known and searched for. I will likely drop my CCNA/DA soon as I am at the point where people are looking for experience more than entry certs.

I think that does play alot into it, and I hadn't thought of that before. Depending on where you are at in your career, and how fast you need to find a job. If you have a job, and are just testing the waters for the next step on the ladder, you can pick & choose and wait for the positions you want. Obviously, you aren't wanting to regress your career so accepting lower/entry jobs wouldn't benefit you and you wouldn't consider them anyways.

Good post. Rep!