Options

Need Resume Advice

DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I got a call from a friend who's brother-n-law is looking to hire a new tech. I don't even know the details yet but my resume was asked for. I have revamped it a little and need advice, even brutal is welcome. I went for a summary instead of a objective just trying to be a little different. Mistake? Tell me what you think!

techexamres1 - Google Docs

I didn't list any work history because I have worked steel construction for nine years and doesn't have to do with the IT world. Besides my internship all other experience has been for a couple of people around town and my home cisco lab. I am currently working on a CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't have a lot of advice for you on this one. I would suggest searching the forum for advice given in the past. Use the advanced search to specify the word, "resume" in thread titles only.
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate any advice no matter how big or small.
  • Options
    jonfc3sjonfc3s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The summary should be a synopsis of skills or highlights on abilities/experience,... The only correct time to use an objective is if you have a firm one.

To be a network administrator,... for example.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

Jon

Also, you should note on the resume that your progressing torwards the CCNA.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Seems a little...short. Do you really only have 2 months experience? What about non-IT experience? Volunteer work?

If that is the case, I would expand on your time at school more. Maybe explain some of the labs/courses
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used a functional resume format when I changed into IT and my resume was a little lean in the job experience department. It allowed me to focus on the IT related knowledge heavily but still show continuous employment later on. I don't remember what site I used as the model for my resume, but if you google "functional resume" you should find quite a few examples.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jonfc3s wrote: »

Also, you should note on the resume that your progressing torwards the CCNA.

I actually had a phone interview where the guy told me he was tired of hearing how people are "working on their CCNA." It may be coincidence, but I stopped talking about it since I never completed it and actually got hired shortly after.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    Thanks agian for all of your advice. Except for my internship the only experience I got is a handful of people that I have done repairs for or setting up soho stuff, and I'm not real comfortable putting that on my resume. I know there isn't much there, but it's all I got. I have been trying to change my life for the last 5 years and even though I hate construction it is still putting food on the table. Either way I will keep plugging away at it.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Definitely list some things you did in school. You spent 4 years there, and your experience is rather lacking. List some courses you took, list your GPA if it is impressive (I listed my 3.8GPA and Highest Honors recognition... My hiring manager did say that was one of the factors when I was hired against a few other people with equal skill sets).

You should try to find out as much as you can about this position, and try to custom-tailor your resume with it in mind. List classes you took that would help make you a better _______. Labs you have done in class does count as experience. Just because an instructor is leading you, doesn't make it any different than if a senior tech was leading you. Just make sure it is clear this is classroom experience, not working experience.

You already have one thing over everyone else- the buddy system. That is very very valuable ;) You have an in there.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nuwin wrote: »
    I actually had a phone interview where the guy told me he was tired of hearing how people are "working on their CCNA." It may be coincidence, but I stopped talking about it since I never completed it and actually got hired shortly after.

I agree with this. I think that "working towards" comments on resumes actually do very little. I've seen too many of these little captions and too often the person never completes the certification or has been working on it for years. If you had already completed the CCNP and were working on the CCIE that might be different.

I would suggest that this might be something to bring up in a cover letter or during an interview where you can expound upon what you have completed to advance this goal. In my opinion a resume is a place for accomplishments, not desires.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I agree with this. I think that "working towards" comments on resumes actually do very little. I've seen too many of these little captions and too often the person never completes the certification or has been working on it for years. If you had already completed the CCNP and were working on the CCIE that might be different.

I would suggest that this might be something to bring up in a cover letter or during an interview where you can expound upon what you have completed to advance this goal. In my opinion a resume is a place for accomplishments, not desires.

Very true.

btw, offtopic. Never noticed the FSM avatar before, Robert icon_thumright.gif haha
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I change it and my title every few weeks. I need a FSM for my bumper....
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you whom have responded. Your advice will not be taken lightly. I appreciated it!
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    I don't think your CV is very eye catching at all, to be honest.

As has been said you could give details of some of your degree modules and GPA if you consider it a positive. I would expand the summary and spice it up a bit, sell your character and work ethic to the reader. Anything that can be seen as a positive to bulk things up slightly would be a good thing IMO.

Most notably you mention Cisco IOS and Windows Server 2003, these are the sort of things that will catch people's eye but it's unclear where you have gained expertise with them. If it was just doing labs at home then specify and describe some of the technologies you are competent with. Listeing AD, DNS etc for WS 2003 pretty much does that, but for Cisco IOS you aren't really selling the point.

You have space to fill and should use it to sell your skillset.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Objective
    Education
    Experience
    Course
    Skills

Get some quantity on the description to be more specific, detail, achievement

I know that there is not much to write, which you even need to try harder to get it look nice.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think IT is a bad thing to get into now, I have been working for it in 5 years and if i could go back i would of gotten into something else. Companies want to cut costs by any means these days, and IT is big expense for them. With virtualization and terminal workstations taking into a effect I am seeing staff cut drastically, and with everything being created more remotely I am seeing jobs being sent to different areas of the country where salaries are much lower and even sent over seas. If I were you I would try to get into a Union you have job stability there. Maybe if you can get into a small company you can make yourself last a long time, but for me I have to hop around and this economy sucks for finding anything secure.

I am sorry for being negative, but its just my experience and how i feel.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    ronzilla wrote: »
    I think IT is a bad thing to get into now, I have been working for it in 5 years and if i could go back i would of gotten into something else. Companies want to cut costs by any means these days, and IT is big expense for them. With virtualization and terminal workstations taking into a effect I am seeing staff cut drastically, and with everything being created more remotely I am seeing jobs being sent to different areas of the country where salaries are much lower and even sent over seas. If I were you I would try to get into a Union you have job stability there. Maybe if you can get into a small company you can make yourself last a long time, but for me I have to hop around and this economy sucks for finding anything secure.

You need to understand the entire reason what we consider today as IT became what it is as a cost cutting strategy. It's no surprise that managers would also look for ways to cut costs within IT as well. Almost all companies are looking to cut costs these days in all of their departments, including IT. Outsourcing is also a strategy used to reduce costs in other parts of large businesses such as accounting.

I wouldn't tell someone not to go into accounting based on that.

Stay current and keep moving into sections of IT that are growing (just like you said - virtualization, terminal technologies like virtual desktops, etc.), and you'll be fine.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ronzilla wrote: »

It's discouraging to read posts about any career choice and how somebody feels it's a bad idea to get into. I don't think there is a single career path in existence that is a "bad" choice, so long as the person who desires to fill those shoes is willing to work hard.

I think you are hurting yourself more by keeping such a negative outlook on your own career and the industry in general. Don't blame the employer, industry, or economy for any pitfalls you run into - it's an easy out and it allows you to rest at ease assuming what happened was going to regardless. I believe everybody has the capability to ensure they are rewarded with gainful employment and a healthy salary even during the hard times, that capability requires hard work and dedication. You won't be able to eliminate the risk of being cut from a position, but you can help ensure your ability to regain employment once again.

If you have been working in the industry for 5 years but you list that you have no certifications. Have you been actively trying to keep up with technology and keep your skills abreast of current trends? I'm not trying to pick at you for not having any certifications by any means, but they often go hand in hand with working to remain marketable. If you got in the industry and thought you would be able to ride it through as a passenger all the way to great success that's not going to happen, you have to step out of the passenger seat and drive.
  • Options
    Once again thanks for the posts.

I agree with msteinhilber
    I am new to this field and even though the future is uncertain I still strive for more education, understanding and illumination on the IT world. This is what I want and I will not stop fighting hell and high water regardless the magnitude. Basically if you want something bad enough where you are willing to pay the price to get it..... you will. Anything short says that this is the wrong field for you, or you are not willing to earn it.

I will not stop because this is what I like and even though I wouldn't abandon the time I've spent learning what I know I wouldn't compromise myself while starring at the odds stacked against me. It's do or die and that the way any field in this economy is going to be!
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    +1 with msteinhilber. Economy is hard nowadays, but it shoudn't stop us from achieving our goals. If you want to be something, you have to earn that something fair and square. Study hard, focus, go on training if possible, just don't stop. Being positive minded is a must specially on a career on IT. Non stop studies, certification..... If you love this path, I believe that through hard work, you can attain your goal.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once again thanks for the posts.

I agree with msteinhilber
    I am new to this field and even though the future is uncertain I still strive for more education, understanding and illumination on the IT world. This is what I want and I will not stop fighting hell and high water regardless the magnitude. Basically if you want something bad enough where you are willing to pay the price to get it..... you will. Anything short says that this is the wrong field for you, or you are not willing to earn it.

I will not stop because this is what I like and even though I wouldn't abandon the time I've spent learning what I know I wouldn't compromise myself while starring at the odds stacked against me. It's do or die and that the way any field in this economy is going to be!

You've got the right attitude :)

There will probably be times where you really question the decisions you make but that's normal. If you ever start to really question yourself, take a moment and look at the bright side - you could be spending your time cooking Steak Egg 'n Cheese bagels like your avatar at McDonald's :D
  • Options
    ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□

If you have been working in the industry for 5 years but you list that you have no certifications. Have you been actively trying to keep up with technology and keep your skills abreast of current trends? I'm not trying to pick at you for not having any certifications by any means, but they often go hand in hand with working to remain marketable. If you got in the industry and thought you would be able to ride it through as a passenger all the way to great success that's not going to happen, you have to step out of the passenger seat and drive.

I have a degree, and work on many projects that roll out new technologies so my Resume is up to date on the latest technologies. I am working on picking up some certifications to help myself appear more marketable to HR and recruiters, which is my reason for being here.

It's just that I used to also do construction as well and I wish now that I would of stuck with it only because of the Unions, they are great and the jobs tend to be less stressful when you know the direction. Let's face it you cant off shore someone to build something in the US.

I'm all about Job security now, time off and benefits since I have a Son now. IT jobs aren't a dime a dozen anymore and I don't see them getting any better with all the business trends.

And again, I am very sorry if I discourage you, and I know I am contradicting myself a bit as I continue to study for certifications. I just think you should consider that you are throwing away 9 years of valuable experience to start all over. I am not trying to bash these forums or this community at all, I use all of the tools and find them great.

Since you are asking for Resume help:

I would elaborate a lot more on your bullets. Especially since you have only had 1 job in IT. It can't hurt to mention that you did construction for 9 years. They would probably like to know that you were at least working and have some kind of work ethic. Mention what level support issues you have worked with. example:

Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve all 2nd and 3rd tier trouble tickets.

If you have done anything with active directory mention it, even if its just password resets and account unlocks. Also it can't hurt to mention the amount of users you supported. If you supported any type of executives that's always a huge plus. shows your more presentable.

Try to make it a full page. But also try to keep it simple, dont fill it with bs like "good worker" or "responsible and hard working" I always felt this was trying to hide something.....and again....everyone has a different opinion on resumes which always makes it harder to write one.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    It's discouraging to read posts about any career choice and how somebody feels it's a bad idea to get into. I don't think there is a single career path in existence that is a "bad" choice, so long as the person who desires to fill those shoes is willing to work hard.

I hear nature photographers have it rough these days... Probably not a good idea...

129037496354008336.jpg
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    think there is a single career path in existence that is a "bad" choice, so long as the person who desires to fill those shoes is willing to work hard.

I disagree, at least until the last of the philosophers and philosophy professors leave the planet.

Then again, they work less hard than anyone so maybe that falls under your works hard statement. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I disagree, at least until the last of the philosophers and philosophy professors leave the planet.

Then again, they work less hard than anyone so maybe that falls under your works hard statement. icon_lol.gif

This is an unfortunate truth icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can please give me your opinion on the resume below. (Please forgive the formatting)

Mxxxx Hxxx
    14 Hart Way  Sometown, MA  (555) 555-5555  someone@example.com

Summary
    A driven IT professional with a strong knowledge and experience in networking to provide technical support, reporting, deployment and implementing IT projects. Currently pursuing CCNP certification.

Education
    XYZ UNIVERSITY – Sometown, WI
    Bachelor of Science in Network Technology January 2007

Certifications
    • CCNA – Cisco Certificate Network Associate
    • CCNP – Cisco Certificate Network Professional
    • CompTIA - Networking+

Summary of Qualifications
    • In-depth knowledge of the following routing protocols: EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, RIP.
    • Ability to troubleshoot L2 Switching, VLANs and L3 Routing issues
    • Strong working knowledge of Cisco routers and switches, strong working knowledge of WANs (T1s, T3s, Frame Relay, etc)
    • Experience working with the following hardware: Cisco 7500, 7200, 3600, 2600, 2800, Catalyst 6500, 5500, 4000, 3500, 2900
    • Working knowledge of Cisco 6500 switch family and associated modules, familiarity with design and implementation of new and existing Data Center network infrastructure, including the installation and configuration of Cisco Switches and Routers
    • Enthusiastic and motivated; highly capable of developing and maintaining good client relations
    • Strong verbal and written communication skills
    • Ability to work effectively in a team environment

IT Experience
    ABC COMPANY – Sometown, MA
    • Level II Helpdesk Technician, (10/2005 to 8/2006) Handled technical troubleshooting with customers expereciring internet connectivity issues. Provide technical assistance to internal call agents to help them resolve issues.

Selected Contributions:
    • Answer inbound phone calls for 2wire, assisting AT&T and Qwest customers with internet connectivity issues.

ABC COMPANY – Sometown, MA
    System Specialist Technician, (4/2007 - current) Part of a team of technicians who managed Network platforms in source for 30K devices of 25 Latin American and North American Businesses. Providing consistent 24x7 proactive monitoring of alarms and alerts from IP-based network devices

Selected Contributions:
    • Detailed analysis and resolution of complex networking issues
    • Track high profiled network projects such as code defect remediation, design flaws and adding redundancy to the network
    • Coordination with telecommunications, local support and network vendors, domestic and international carriers such as ******, ****, ****, as well as utilizing all available resources for determination, diagnoses and problem resolution.
    • Performed implementation, execution and logging of network configuration changes
    • Single point of contact for network related problems
    • Provide support , as needed , for all business
    • Coordinate implementation priorities of network projects, research for the best infrastructure and ensure the execution of long term network solution.
    • Primary contact for network related problems which were business impacting
    • Perform an in-depth investigation of network issues to identify the root cause and gap analysis
    • Oversee procedural and system flow document for audit compliance
    • Generate reports for multiple business groups and senior management
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    If this is your actual resume it looks pretty good to be honest. Except I'd consider revising your initial open Summary. To maybe something like:

"A well driven IT professional with strong knowledge and experience within the following networking roles; Technical Support, reporting, deployment and implementing IT projects. Currently working towards my CCNP Certification."

Just be care of fragmented sentences. Boy, wish I could put such experience on my resume :)
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks you for the input, I will definitely make that adjustment.