Options

How many resumes to send out to get a full time job?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
How many resumes did you send out to get your first full time job right after graduation?

Just want to compare results.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I landed a permanent gig with the shop that I interned with my last year in college. So I guess 0 for me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    laptop wrote: »
    How many resumes did you send out to get your first full time job right after graduation?

Depends on your luck, experience, education, training, unemployment rate in your area, resume/cover letter format to name a few. But I would say the number would be from 1-100.

Personally, if I have to send 101th resume, there is something terribly wrong.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    After TAFE I sent out a heap of resumes with no responses. I then came up with a better plan and did work experience at the local computer shop. A few weeks later they offered me a job.

Later on, I was out of work for 2x years, still sending out out dozens of resumes and getting a few dead-end interviews. So I tried the work exp bit again and 1x week later got offered a 3x month contract for a Govt department.

That finally got me out of a small town into the city.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Better off using the buddy network to open doors for your first job or work experience/volunteering. If none of that comes off for you it's all down to luck really. You could be sending hundreds of resumes out. Keep watching the boards and applying for jobs. For your first job it's mostly timing that gets you in as opposed to your resume obliterating everyone elses, so just keep looking for openings daily until you catch someone who has just advertised and is serious about hiring.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514

I was really lucky. The IT community isn't large in my area, and I was doing desktop support for a company here. Not making near the money I felt I was worth. After I finished my first two years of school and had an associates, I saw a job I liked posted on Indeed.com. Sent a resume, interviewed twice within the next two weeks, and got the job. Doubled my income lol.

I didn't know anyone here, however, a few people here knew some guys I worked with there and made some calls, etc. You just never know how much your web extends and who knows who.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968

I assume the first full-time IT job? For me, it took me 5 years to get my foot in the door of IT. I got my break before I graduated, as I was studying for my degree part-time in the evenings - I was already working full-time but not in an IT related field.

-Ken
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    It all depends on luck and who you know.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

I've had times when I had to send out dozens in a day for weeks on end, sometimes I've had the good fortune of landing a job right when I needed it. Succinct answer: I sent out as many as it took.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    guy I went to school with referred me so "0" resumes for me as well.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've posted resumes, but I have yet to bring one in.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You do have your resume on all the usual job site, Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, right?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have posted some links to articles that I think might help aid you in your job search.
    Does Your Resume Pass This Five-Point Checklist?
    By Joe Turner

Will you be looking for a new job in 2010?
    Yes, it's time for a change
    Yes, I've been laid off
    Maybe, if the right job pops up
    No, I love my job

Getting poll results. Please wait...
    Show ResultsAs the economy has worsened and millions of job seekers are chasing after fewer and fewer jobs, what you put on your resume has become more important than ever. Before you send your resume anywhere, run it through this quick five-point checklist to determine if it needs a tune-up or a complete overhaul.

1. Clear Objective

There has been a lot of debate lately among the resume writing "chattering classes" about whether today's resumes even need an objective. After 15 years of reading resumes for my clients, my answer is definitely, "Yes". However, I should clarify. By "objective", I'm not referring to the fluff that most job seekers concoct. The objective should be your targeted job title and nothing more. This focuses the resume and necessitates that you use the rest of the resume to support why you're the best candidate to fill this particular job title. It also leaves no doubt in your reader's mind about who you are.

2. Opening Statement

Does your resume open with a long paragraph titled, "Summary of Qualifications"? Problem: Of the thousands that I've read over the years, most are nothing more than fiction. Long laundry lists of skills and assorted keywords. Two of the biggest offenders are "Results-Driven" and that ever popular, "Proven Track Record".

If your resume looks like this, you might want to rethink your approach. Don't bore your reader by emphasizing keywords and hackneyed clichés. Employers want to know how you can solve their problem right now. Don't annoy them by failing to answer this urgent question.

Instead, include a simple, concise opening statement. This one sentence is usually called a Unique Selling Proposition. It should define who you are, your single biggest strength and end with a benefit that you offer. Ideally it should be something measurable, since everything boils down to dollars. This strips away the fluff and quickly answers that critical question in their mind. Do this and you make it easy for them to call you.

3. Measurable Results

OK, now you have a great opening statement. For Act Two, you must back that up with added proof. Don't rely on tired clichés. Tantalize them with a bulleted list of specific achievements. By achievements, I mean an end result that reaped some benefit for either your employer or the client you've worked for.

This may require that you think outside your box or cubicle. Regardless of your role, you have a bottom line impact on your employer. Your job is to communicate your true value clearly and specifically to your next employer. It may take a bit of effort to develop these bullets. And that's all they should be. No more than a one-sentence brief description of the benefit or result and how you accomplished it.

If you can put together a concise list of 5 to 7 good achievements that are Return-on-Investment (ROI)-oriented, you'll score a lot quicker than relying on those unexciting clichés.

4. One Job Title, One Resume

Resume readers are very focused and they're looking for specific items. They have very short attention spans and can be easily distracted. When they get distracted, they start getting confused, and when that happens, they screen you out and reach for the next resume.

So, if you are looking for a position as a project manager, tell them why you're a great project manager. That's all they want to know. Don't tell them about how you used to work as a carpenter or how you managed and ran your own consulting business. They don't want or need to know about your other unrelated careers or positions. Even if you were great at them.

Use one resume to sell one job title. If the resume doesn't clearly explain why you're the best project manager in your city, then either drop the information or minimize it because it doesn't belong there.

Stick with one career on one resume and you'll have less chance of getting screened out.

5. "Above the Fold"

Place all of your most important selling information at the very top half of page one. Most resume readers spend about 20 seconds of actual eyeball time before they decide to move to the next resume. They are not going to waste their time looking through your resume to find critical information, such as how you "increased revenues $350K", or you "decreased labor costs by 12%". This information should be polished like gemstones and presented on a silver platter at the very top of the first page. Do this, and they'll be spending a lot longer than 20 seconds on your resume.

Summary

If you use the five points above to measure the effectiveness of your resume, you may discover several areas where your current resume needs strengthening. Make the fixes now before you send your resume anywhere, and you'll be more likely to have prospective employers call you.

Here’s another great article
    4 Ways to Get Unstuck in Your Job Search | StarTribune.com
    Good luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

My entire Windows Advanced Server class applied for my job at the same time and I was the only one that got the interview or a job. :D

Nobody in class liked me after that icon_sad.gif

I hadnt even graduated either. I did a "work study" the last semester of my degree where my professor took a journal on what i did/learned at work in leui of actual lab work in the class.