Options

Would you say the Network+ exam was harder or easier than you anticipated?

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
I just took both my A+ exams a few weeks ago and I studied my butt off in anticipation of it being extremely difficult... Turns out, it actually super easy and I passed both tests with an 850 and 846.

My question for you all is how would you rate the Network+ exam vs expectations? Or even in comparison to A+?
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I just took both my A+ exams a few weeks ago and I studied my butt off in anticipation of it being extremely difficult... Turns out, it actually super easy and I passed both tests with an 850 and 846.

My question for you all is how would you rate the Network+ exam vs expectations? Or even in comparison to A+?

How proficient are you with Networking?

There is no way to accurately say if NET+ is more or less difficult for you then the A+.

Typically, both exams are easy, best you can do is download the NET+ objectives and review them. Depending on how easy/difficult you find these topics, you'll be able to assess the amount of study you want to invest in your prep.

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    How proficient are you with Networking?

There is no way to accurately say if NET+ is more or less difficult for you then the A+.

Typically, both exams are easy, best you can do is download the NET+ objectives and review them. Depending on how easy/difficult you find these topics, you'll be able to assess the amount of study you want to invest in your prep.

Good luck

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd be at a 7 right now. I completed the Testout course, watched all the Freenetworkplus.com videos, and read Mike Meyer's Network+ book. I'm ready Sybex's Network+ 2009 book as well and when I'm done with that, I'll probably just go ahead and take the test.

When I was reading up on A+, everyone kept talking about how hard it was so I waited a few extra weeks to take it and it ended up being WAY easier than anticipated.

I know it's opinion based, but I was curious on other's opinions in regards to their experience of taking the exam. Whether it was as hard as they anticipated or actually was a lot simpler. As I said, I know it's opinion based, but I'm curious anyways.

Thanks, Plantwiz!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Do you have any experience with this material? Or just taking practice tests?

If you are only going based on practice tests, perhaps take a bit more time and get some experience before scheduling the exam?

icon_idea.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Do you have any experience with this material? Or just taking practice tests?

If you are only going based on practice tests, perhaps take a bit more time and get some experience before scheduling the exam?

icon_idea.gif

I work as an IT technician now... and I pretty much have free reign on the servers at work. I've been applying the parts that I can for fun or to test it out on my company's network (playing with Active Directory, our DNS servers, etc etc etc) and reading EVERYTHING I can get my hands on. I've memorized the necessary port numbers, I can subnet and convert binary in my sleep, I've even set up a Ubuntu virtual machine on my computer to practice the Linux commands that would apply and I think I've been retaining everything decently... I think the only annoying thing is memorizing all the acronyms but that's a necessary evil so I keep drilling them in my head (that's why I'm taking another two weeks before I actually take the test. I want to have it down.)

When I finish a chapter, I take the assessment tests, but as far as downloading practice tests, no... I don't want to be one of those people who just memorize the questions and answers while not actually being able to apply the material. I've seen too many people pass the test like that while not being able to apply what they were supposed to have learned in the real world.

I hope that answers your questions, Plantwiz. :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Oh, also, the "7 out of 10" wasn't based on any test. Just how I felt about it. But then again, I'm kind of a perfectionist and thought I was only a 8 out of 10 when I went to take the A+ and I passed with flying colors...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It covered a lot more material than I expected, so I'd say it was harder than I anticipated. Although I still got almost a perfect score, so I dunno.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Nakeja71Nakeja71 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To me Network + was very easy and the test is not difficult at all
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    It was eaiser than what I had expected.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was about what I expected with it being a little harder than I thought, only because the topics are a mile wide and an inch deep. Studying for CCNP now and it's pretty much vice versa.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    terrelldouglasterrelldouglas Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    a lot of wireless questions! its tricky!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    It covered a lot more material than I expected, so I'd say it was harder than I anticipated. Although I still got almost a perfect score, so I dunno.
    Ditto. I saw some materials that were surprising. Mine (2005 edition) was harder than I expected - I studied for quite some time (on & off over the course of a few months) and had some hands on experience with beginner network troubleshooting. I got some wacky questions out of left field and had some subnetting questions too. I ended up scoring well (somewhere in the 700's I think), but I was a little scared and thought I might not have passed. I hate that little pause after you hit the button to submit and end the test!! :D
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105

I didn't think it was difficult per se but it wasn't a cake walk either.

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being the easier and 10 being the hardest I would give it a 6. I was expecting it to be a 3 though so I was pleasantly surprised that it offered a decent challenge for me on certain questions.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me, it was easy, but I've also had 20 years worth of experience networking computers in one form or another, having started with a 300 baud modem and tiny BBS systems.

I spent about a week brushing up on where things fall in the OSI model and the capabilities/limitations of the various cable types and scored an 865/900.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    mpflaniganmpflanigan Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have worked with networking for a while on a small scale, the test was way easier than I expected. Be wary if you think it's going to be easy it will not be.