Options

All those in need of a Lab

burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
Hey all, I noticed that it's a little dead here, right now. So in my boredom I made a simple little lab that should be useful for most areas of the CCNP.

Scenario: A company just bought and installed a brand new network. Only their network admin quit before he configured any of it. It's all hooked up, but not configured. They hire you to configure it.

Below is the diagram. They have 200 PC users, and about 50 IP phone users. They have a T3 connection to Company Xtreme and need to pass VoIP to and from them. Company Xtreme is running OSPF and refused to change that or redistribute. You receive a summary route from them of 172.16.0.0/16 from 172.16.200.1/30.

The switched network is a gigabit network with link aggregation on the 2 MLS switches. Let's say they're 48 port 3750's. The workgroup switches are 48 port 2960's. The phones are whatever you want them to be.

You also are multihomed to the internet to 2 different ISPs. You need to configure the 2 routers. The company let's you decide on how you want to do the BGP stuff, and the ISPs are open to suggestion.

There also needs to be a layer of security on the ISRs, and remote users need to access the local resources.

The servers are standard servers, lets say Mail, DNS, and Web.

No addressing has been assigned, all the old network admin did was wire the stuff up. So addressing is up to you.

I know there's a layer of abstraction here but just fill in the gaps with what you suppose the company SHOULD do.

Feel free to post information and updates and what not. Enjoy...

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Cool idea!
    the ISPs are open to suggestion.

I don't know what ISPs you've worked with, haha.icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The company let's you decide on how you want to do the BGP stuff, and the ISPs are open to suggestion.
    If this networking thing doesn't work out for you, you definitely have a future in stand up comedy icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If this networking thing doesn't work out for you, you definitely have a future in stand up comedy icon_lol.gif

I'm the guy that quit before configuring anything to pursue my comedic calling.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Cool idea!

I don't know what ISPs you've worked with, haha.icon_wink.gif

You start pushing 30 to 40 gigs of traffic through their pipes, and they become alot easier to deal with ;) Except Level3. Those guys are a bunch of pricks.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    You start pushing 30 to 40 gigs of traffic through their pipes, and they become alot easier to deal with ;) Except Level3. Those guys are a bunch of pricks.

I'd say our WAN is pretty close to that, and our SP doesn't listen to ****. Our internet circuit (different SP) is only 200mb, they don't listen to anything either, haha.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    I'd say our WAN is pretty close to that, and our SP doesn't listen to ****. Our internet circuit (different SP) is only 200mb, they don't listen to anything either, haha.

I work for a webhost that caters almost exclusively to the adult market, so we do *alot* of egress transit. I have 8 10 gig circuits from three providers running into my facility, with several gig peering links (Earthlink and Comcast seem to love us), and virtually all of our traffic is transit, and we don't do commit rates, so they want us pushing as much through the pipe as possible, since that's what they bill us on. Telia can be difficult to work with, but that's just because half their NOC is clueless. If we get someone that's been smacked with the clue x 4, we generally don't have a problem. The guys at nlayer have always been very willing to work with us (coincidentally, the majority of our transit is through them). Level3.... besides being straight up bastards, they bill at a much higher rate, so we send as little traffic as possible through them.

However, when we moved our core routers earlier this year, we had email and phone calls from all three of them within minutes, wanting to know what was up and what they could do to help.

We don't put up with crappy service. We used to have links with Time Warner which was initially paid transit, then evolved into a peering link, then they decided to be douche bags and wanted to go back to charging us for transit, at an increased rate. So we turned them down. We also used to have links through Saavis, but they were difficult to work with, so as soon as our contract was up, we booted them. And don't even get me started on Cogent...