Options

Masters degrees with unfamiliar content

NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
Have any of you studied for a masters degree that put you out of your comfort zone? Whenever I see academic profiles it seems people have bounced around areas from their BSc to Phd, yet I can can imagine this is difficult. I am considering doing a masters degree in the future, maybe in a few years time but need to know how much preperation I would need to do. Obviously that depends on the course, and there are two that I have seen that interest me.

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/teaching/ncs/syllabi.html

Imperial College London | Faculty of Engineering | Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering

The first is more higher level networking with a strong programming element, the other is more low level communications and maths is no doubt a feature. The latter of the two appears to be more heavy duty from what I can tell, both are at well ranked Universities here but the latter is ranked very highly for both CS and EE. The first course I linked would basically require me to learn C and/or Java to the point where I am competent, but the problem here is I have basically zero programming skills since while I have done it at University, it was only really a feature in the first year which was almost 3 years ago and I have forgotten everything / never realy learned it properly in the first place.

The second course I linked seems like it would require a fairly decent standard of physics/EE and maths. The problem is I didn't get traditional pre University qualifications, and therefore didn't study maths or physics before my degree, and due to low standards in my department I somehow haven't required any maths for my degree either. Any decent University in the UK and from what I can tell any US University has a lot of math on any CS related degree, but not mine, unfortunately. So if I was to realistically go for either of these I think I'd have a fair bit of prep work on my hands and even then I'm not sure it would be enough.

The course that requires programming I think would require me to learn either language to a decent standard beforehand, and then I feel I'd be in with a shot of getting a place. Since this seems higher level and more networking focused it would probably be slightly more doable, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best option.

The second course linked may not even accept CS type students because it's classed as EE, but I have placed all my focus in networking and have experience as a network tech, so due to the communications elements I think I have more chance than a typical CS student. So if I was to do maths and physics A Levels beforehand, and get good grades I think I could be considered. That said, would the low level signalling theory here ideally require an EE background? I simply don't have that and don't think I could do much to gain it or prove it other than self study and anything a physics A Level covers. I basically only have in depth knowledge of networking, and the only signalling knowledge I have is basic modulation in 802.11 standards.

I've written an essay here to give you guys a good idea of what's what, so what do you think about how much living hell I would experience doing either course, in particular the second one linked assuming I was accepted?

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    What was your undergrad degree in again? Im in the states but it seems to me like a lot of grad courses blur the lines between disciplines.

For example, I took bioinformatics as an elective for my MS, and the chemistry kids were worried about programminhg and the CS kids were worried about chemistry. Turns out neither one of us had anything to worry about because the professor was very understanding to both disciplines.

The coursework on number 2 seems like it would involve at least a grasp on math at the calc II level. And discrete math might come in handy in there too.

I would go with #1 myself...but then again Id rather pick up programming all over again than have to figure out calc from the start.
  • Options
    My undergrad degree is network systems which is on the general cs/software framework for the first 2 years.

I know calculus is part of the maths A level but not sure which particular level.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you've never studied math at a unis level you will struggle. my first masters was in econ and my undergrad was CS. The math was almost completely different and i had a tough time learning it. But everything is doable. For the masters I'd assume you'd need some unis level math courses to even get accepted? You'll know where you stand if you have to take some of them. I've taken a half dozen physic courses as well but you get through anything if that's what you want to do. Pick the one you want to do the most and go for it.

The second looks more geared towards a p.eng or in the military.
  • Options
    GAngel wrote: »
    If you've never studied math at a unis level you will struggle. my first masters was in econ and my undergrad was CS. The math was almost completely different and i had a tough time learning it. But everything is doable. For the masters I'd assume you'd need some unis level math courses to even get accepted? You'll know where you stand if you have to take some of them. I've taken a half dozen physic courses as well but you get through anything if that's what you want to do. Pick the one you want to do the most and go for it.

The second looks more geared towards a p.eng or in the military.

I'm going to contact them to see what they say, if the gap is too much I doubt I'll bother, will just be too much work considering I will have to start from no maths at all. I'd rather do the second one but seems learning some programming rather than a load of maths and possiply phsyics would be more doable. That said, I think that one may need some maths as well. Will contact them too.

One thing that really puts me off the programming one is the group project, I hate relying on other people when my grades are at stake.
  • Options
    oypethe wrote: »
    And so, I think we should all focus not on why the good people are "not" getting the jobs, but why the bad guys are getting the good guys' jobs.

icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah group projects suck. I think I might be tempted to take a group project over a 200 page thesis if I had to do it again though.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Yeah group projects suck. I think I might be tempted to take a group project over a 200 page thesis if I had to do it again though.

I almost lost a full letter grade on a network design project because one of the people in my group didn't turn in her material... grrrrrr! icon_mad.gif Oh well, it's in the past now!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Neeko wrote: »
    One thing that really puts me off the programming one is the group project, I hate relying on other people when my grades are at stake.
    If you do go the programming route, make sure that you have access to someone who programs in the language(s) you'll be using. It's a tremendous time-saver if someone who is experienced (i.e., does programming for a living) can help you out when you get stuck on a problem or a bug.

For my Masters degree I had to participate in two group projects. Because I was trying to keep my perfect GPA, I volunteered to be the manager/editor for both projects. The other group members were responsible for each writing a piece and I integrated and edited them into the final submission--adding and rewritten material as I felt necessary. Both groups projects received an 'A' and I kept my perfect GPA. ;)
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    If you do go the programming route, make sure that you have access to someone who programs in the language(s) you'll be using. It's a tremendous time-saver if someone who is experienced (i.e., does programming for a living) can help you out when you get stuck on a problem or a bug.

For my Masters degree I had to participate in two group projects. Because I was trying to keep my perfect GPA, I volunteered to be the manager/editor for both projects. The other group members were responsible for each writing a piece and I integrated and edited them into the final submission--adding and rewritten material as I felt necessary. Both groups projects received an 'A' and I kept my perfect GPA. ;)

Thanks for the advice, I don't know anyone as of now but I guess I would have to make do with forums and hope to meet someone down the line in work or something.

Yeah group projects are doable if are happy to compensate for people, but if I'm to embark on a course that will be a steep challenge as it is, I don't really want things to be made more stressful by people who either settle for average grades or are just plain lazy. I would rather do my own work than have to rewrite other people's. I've had to do it on my BSc and it was just a pain in the neck at times. Do not like the idea at all.