Options

A quick question about CCNA

tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
Hello all,

I looked at the certification path of CCNA, it says I either need to pass 640-802 CCNA or 640-822 ICND1 + 640-816 ICND2. Is that correct? If yes, what is the difference between these two paths? And which one should I follow?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tearofs wrote: »
    Hello all,

I looked at the certification path of CCNA, it says I either need to pass 640-802 CCNA or 640-822 ICND1 + 640-816 ICND2. Is that correct? If yes, what is the difference between these two paths? And which one should I follow?

Thank you

Yes this is correct. You can take either the CCENT>CCNA path (2 test) or the CCNA 1 test path.

Differences are the amount of tests (obvious 1 vs 2) and the amount of material on each test (not the amount of material overall because the pull from the same total objectives).

I think that most people say that the CCENT>CCNA path is best for cisco noobs and the CCNA (1 test) is best for those with exp but they need the paper. I am a noob and I did the 1 test route. Looking back on it, I think the 2 test route would have been easier but thats done now.

Do what you feel is going to be best for you.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    knwminus wrote: »
    Yes this is correct. You can take either the CCENT>CCNA path (2 test) or the CCNA 1 test path.

Differences are the amount of tests (obvious 1 vs 2) and the amount of material on each test (not the amount of material overall because the pull from the same total objectives).

I think that most people say that the CCENT>CCNA path is best for cisco noobs and the CCNA (1 test) is best for those with exp but they need the paper. I am a noob and I did the 1 test route. Looking back on it, I think the 2 test route would have been easier but thats done now.

Do what you feel is going to be best for you.

It all depends on how you feel. I am newer to cisco, I took the one test option, and think that it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I would not go back and do the two test route. If I was doing it all over again I would do the one test and be done with it. It depends on how much time you are allowing yourself before taking the exam. Since if you do the one test route, you have double the material to learn ICND1 and ICND2 material. Where as if you do the two route: CCENT ICND1, CCNA ICND2, so it is really up to you how you want to handle it. Just make sure whatever you do you spend the right amount of time actually learning the material. IF you do you will see eventually it pays off in the long run. I have been able to pick up on the BCMSN and BSCI material VERY quickly. It just clicks. But, each person is different on how quickly/easily the learn new technologies and methods.
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    I think it kinda depends on what all you got going on, like school, other certs etc. I'll probably go the one test route myself, but a lot of people in my situation might find the two test route better, but over all, I am picking up on the stuff pretty fast however
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did the old 640-801 because it was cheaper than doing the old INTRO and ICND exams -- and you didn't get anything, other than 1/2 way to the CCNA, for passing the INTRO exam.

Now there is no cost difference between taking the 640-802 CCNA exam or the ICND1/ICND2 exams -- plus you get the CCENT Certification for passing the ICND1.

If you don't mind the extra trip to the exam center and the "extra questions" you get taking the 2 exams -- and if you're an IT noob and you need the CCENT for "resume filler" -- then 2 exam option for the CCNA may be a good idea.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Thank you, guys