Options

ip address problem

isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone
Thanks for reading my post.

Now my question is whenever, I connect any dlink, linksys or any other routers(switches) to the computers. They get the ip addresses automatically. So, I can use internet. However, my 26__XM and 3460 routers or switches do not have these functions.

That means, every time I change the ip addresses of my routers, I have to go and give my computers ip addresses manually depending on the lab setting. I want my computer to get the ip addresses automatically.

So, when I connect a switch to a router, and then give them ip addresses. I want the computers that are connected to the switches, to get ip addresses automatically. I hope I have explained the problem.

I think I am missing something. What is that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IP addresses are assigned automatically with DHCP. You can enable this on your Cisco router by creating a DHCP pool. If your internal network is 10.0.0.0/24, and your router inside interface is 10.0.0.1, you could do this like so:
    !
    ip dhcp pool Internal_Pool
       network 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
       domain-name mynetwork.local
       default-router 10.0.0.1
       dns-server 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2
       lease 7 0 0
    !

For the DNS servers, you should probably use the ones provided by your ISP instead of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

EDIT:
    For your switches, you may have to configure the vlan 1 interface to get an IP address via DHCP. Once this is done, it will get an IP from your router.
    !
    interface Vlan1
     ip address dhcp
    !

MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV