Anyone a skydiver or took a dive before?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well with it being a new year and all i thought i may try something new or abit different. After having a think ive always fancied skydiving as i was once offered to do it for a charity event as part of a group but to cut along story short the dive never happened.

Obviously jumping out of a perfectly working plane from several thousand feet sounds crazy even to me. but i wanted to know what was anyones first dive experiance like? nerves, the training etc?

Also has anyone went on to become a qualified diver? again what was your experiance with the course and the price of it if possible? ive noticied a local univeristy has a skydiving club and was going to enquire about it. From there website it states the do an intense course or you can spread it across several weeks/months at a total cost of £635 for 16 jumps. it doesnt state the price for the intense course.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »
    Well with it being a new year and all i thought i may try something new or abit different. After having a think ive always fancied skydiving as i was once offered to do it for a charity event as part of a group but to cut along story short the dive never happened.

Obviously jumping out of a perfectly working plane from several thousand feet sounds crazy even to me. but i wanted to know what was anyones first dive experiance like? nerves, the training etc?

Also has anyone went on to become a qualified diver? again what was your experiance with the course and the price of it if possible? ive noticied a local univeristy has a skydiving club and was going to enquire about it. From there website it states the do an intense course or you can spread it across several weeks/months at a total cost of £635 for 16 jumps. it doesnt state the price for the intense course.

I am going to go sky diving this summer. A couple of friends of mine from my old job went at one point but I didn't have the money at the time to go. Everyone I know that has gone said that it is awesome and it really isn't that scary. My wife and I have been making plans to do this for months. The only thing is the cost is kind of high (about $900 so around 600 Euros) but we won't be going that often. Besides how often do you get to sky dive?
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I went skydiving about 2 1/2 years ago for my birthday. It was the most unbelievable experience I have ever had. And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of heights.

I did a tandem jump if that makes any difference to what you are planning. The ride up in the airplane was a little unnerving, as there was no "door", just a canvas cover snapped into place. And giving that we circled up to our jump altitude, with the door on the inner part of our circling, that made it even worse, thinking if you rolled you would crash ride through the door.

Being it was a tandem jump, I moved towards the door with the master jumper, and literally had to hang out the plane attached to him for about 10 seconds while we prepped to jump. The jump was AMAZING! It honestly just feels like you are standing in a windy spot, not like a rollercoaster feeling like most think it would be like.

We jumped with four other solo jumpers, so we all huddle together briefly while freefalling, which was pretty cool. Its so windy you can't hear much even if you scream, but as soon as you pull the ripcord, you can carry on a conversation without any issues. Fair warning, just make sure you are properly situated before you jump, as the straps are painful when the chute is deployed. It left some marks that could have been extremely painful if certain parts had been in the way if you know what I mean.

But afterwards the euphoric high that you maintain for days afterward can't be explained or matched by anything else. I have gone scuba diving, white water rafting (hit Class 4/5 rapids, and a lot of them), and skydiving, and nothing compares to it. It is something I suggest that everyone who thinks they want to try it, try it. It may be expensive, but it is well worth the cost and you will be glad that you did.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    I went skydiving about 2 1/2 years ago for my birthday. It was the most unbelievable experience I have ever had. And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of heights.

I did a tandem jump if that makes any difference to what you are planning. The ride up in the airplane was a little unnerving, as there was no "door", just a canvas cover snapped into place. And giving that we circled up to our jump altitude, with the door on the inner part of our circling, that made it even worse, thinking if you rolled you would crash ride through the door.

Being it was a tandem jump, I moved towards the door with the master jumper, and literally had to hang out the plane attached to him for about 10 seconds while we prepped to jump. The jump was AMAZING! It honestly just feels like you are standing in a windy spot, not like a rollercoaster feeling like most think it would be like.

We jumped with four other solo jumpers, so we all huddle together briefly while freefalling, which was pretty cool. Its so windy you can't hear much even if you scream, but as soon as you pull the ripcord, you can carry on a conversation without any issues. Fair warning, just make sure you are properly situated before you jump, as the straps are painful when the chute is deployed. It left some marks that could have been extremely painful if certain parts had been in the way if you know what I mean.

But afterwards the euphoric high that you maintain for days afterward can't be explained or matched by anything else. I have gone scuba diving, white water rafting (hit Class 4/5 rapids, and a lot of them), and skydiving, and nothing compares to it. It is something I suggest that everyone who thinks they want to try it, try it. It may be expensive, but it is well worth the cost and you will be glad that you did.

hahahaha @ the door!! that sounds sooo good! im also someone who isnt a lover of heights but for some reason its the rush etc which appeals to me the most.

thanks for the positioning tip i dont think i would like my balls to be ripped into my stomach haha!

as for the type of jump i think it would be attached to an instructor just for the first jump then solo from then on. The course from the university sounds good to me. especially how i could spread the cost of learning over several months. this of course assuming i will like the experiance.

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I'm ex para so I've done a fair number of jumps, although none lately lol It's a pretty intense rush and one well worth doing. Usually do at least 1 jump as a tandem before moving onto solo jumps.

If you think of doing a dving course, hang on till you get to Thailand and do one there you'll get your padi open water there for peanuts compared to here icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    I'm ex para so I've done a fair number of jumps, although none lately lol It's a pretty intense rush and one well worth doing. Usually do at least 1 jump as a tandem before moving onto solo jumps.

If you think of doing a dving course, hang on till you get to Thailand and do one there you'll get your padi open water there for peanuts compared to here icon_smile.gif

hi mate,

Yeah, i thought it would be best to do one with an instructor 1st - or at least thats my intention.

Is the price i stated for the course (£635) steep? btw, we are talkin about the sky diving course yeah? i though the PADI was related to diving in water?

Also, ive decided im def going to thailand this summer - with friends or no friends im going either way!!! :D

• KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Before you go shelling out, try a charity jump first. I did that many years ago and loved it.. Scared sh.tless right before though. Now I have the kids, can't do that kind of thing.

If you like it after that, then maybe shell out the money. Google and a small airfield near you will come up. I think if you raise X amount for charity it's cheaper. But will not be as much as a whole course and finding out it's not for you.

I think there are a certain number of fixed line jumps and heights you have to do before you are allowed to free fall. Like 15 jumps or something.
    Kam.
    nel wrote: »
    hi mate,

Yeah, i thought it would be best to do one with an instructor 1st - or at least thats my intention.

Is the price i stated for the course (£635) steep? btw, we are talkin about the sky diving course yeah? i though the PADI was related to diving in water?

Also, ive decided im def going to thailand this summer - with friends or no friends im going either way!!! :D

doh! sorry Nel, my mind was on other things, PADI is indeed water icon_smile.gif

£635 could be cheap could be expensive it all depends on the course your doing, if its a full AFF then its Very cheap and well worth doing at that price, take a look here :-

UK Skydiving

Those prices are about the norm. icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    doh! sorry Nel, my mind was on other things, PADI is indeed water icon_smile.gif

£635 could be cheap could be expensive it all depends on the course your doing, if its a full AFF then its Very cheap and well worth doing at that price, take a look here :-

UK Skydiving

Those prices are about the norm. icon_smile.gif

Hey, no problem mate!

Well according to the Uni website its a RAPS course which you do over longer periods of time than a full intense AFF. Below is the description(sorry for the formatting). Do you think that course sounds OK?

Jump Number JumpExercise Cost
    1+2 Two Stable Jumps on a Static Line where the parachute opens automatically as soon as you leave the aircraft. You’ll be under canopy within 4 seconds and then steer your canopy to the ground with the help of a radio mounted on your helmet. 1st Jump included in the cost of Ground School.2nd Jump £35
    3-5 Three practice pulls whilst still on a static line. You simulate pulling your own parachute while still demonstrating a stable body position £35
    6 First Freefall! Your first jump without the static line. You’ll have a freefall delay of 3 seconds before activating your own parachute. FREE! (The club will pay for your first freefall jump!)
    7 A 5 second stable freefall delay £35
    8+9 Two 10 second stable freefall delays £35
    10+11 Two 15 second stable freefall delays £35
    12 A freefall descent from altitude demonstrating 360degree turns in both directions £35
    13 A Dive Exit and a Backloop in Freefall £35
    14 An unstable exit and Tracking (fast forward movement) £35
    15 Turning in a track position £35
    16 The Qualifying Jump: Dive exit Backloop360 degree turns left and right.

Track, Wave off and Pull at the correct altitude.
    £35
    Total to Qualify £635

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I've jumped a handful of times.

Not as exciting as I had hoped and much louder then I expected. I switched into being a pilot, but even that didn't do much for me. Evenutally, over time, I just stopped with both.

Neither activity is cheap, but when you are single, you only need to worry about your own expenses. Once that was cleared from my system, I started thinking more of being married.

It's fun for a bit, but I guess the cost:fun ratio didn't equal enough of a thrill for me.

Definately, worth trying for yourself! Make sure the planes are well maintained and the jump masters on-hand are experienced and will/able to answer all your questions. Mostly, I"ve found that those who skydive are pretty willing to help new people, so be respectful and I hope you have fun :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Guys, thanks for the input.

Hey kam,

Ive checked your idea and on many sites you can jump for free aslong as you raise a certain amount of money for charity. So i may have too look into it that way. One site stated a min of £360 and considering to do it myself was approx £250 it Could be a good way to do it!

Nel, thats not a bad price for that course icon_smile.gif

of course the charity jump is a good taster for you and will most likely whet your appetite. Keep in mind the charity jump is more than likely a tandem, costs v insurance v sums raised etc. but still a good way to get a taster icon_smile.gif

go for it is what I say you only live once lol
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Are you doing some kind of covert ops into Thailand now? Mid-life crisis? :P

Skydiving is the one thing I haven't been able to get permission from the MRS. for. Even though I tell her more people die on the tracks I race on or the hikes I go on each year, she won't budge on this one.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been wanting to go for a while, but haven't really got around to it. If the price was more reasonable I think I would have probably been a few times by now. I jumped in the military often and was a jump master, but it was static line jumping. One of the only things I actually miss about the military really is hanging out that door in the middle of the night!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    One of the only things I actually miss about the military really is hanging out that door in the middle of the night!

oooh night jumps are just awesome icon_biggrin.gif
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I jumped in the military often and was a jump master, but it was static line jumping. One of the only things I actually miss about the military really is hanging out that door in the middle of the night!
    I was in the 82nd...kudos to passing JM school.

Most people ask me all the same stuff, was it fun, is it a thrill, what kind of rush...etc...honestly for me, as an infantryman, it was never any of those things. The whole procedure is so long and arduous and typically was just teh beginning of feild training, I never had 'fun' on a jump. I was always too focused and in too much pain.

After hitting the ground though, minus one tree landing and one injury, that was when I got my rush. I think it was a release of having to compartmentalize the fear.

That said, military static line jumps at 800 feet in the 2am snow or rain would pale in comparison to a civilian jump that you can free fall from first, and have good daytime weather. If you get the chance to jump a civilian chute, dont pass that up.

of course the charity jump is a good taster for you and will most likely whet your appetite. Keep in mind the charity jump is more than likely a tandem, costs v insurance v sums raised etc. but still a good way to get a taster icon_smile.gif

Damn, your like the evil devil dude sitting on my shoulder encouraging me to do stupid stuff haha. only jokin, its actually refreshing people say go on go for it you only live once! from what ive seen it seems a decent price to. im just waiting to find out if you have to be a student at the uni to participate or not yet. i think the tandom drop would be good as a taster but a local airfield next to Edinburgh quoted £250 for a tandom!
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Are you doing some kind of covert ops into Thailand now? Mid-life crisis? :P

Skydiving is the one thing I haven't been able to get permission from the MRS. for. Even though I tell her more people die on the tracks I race on or the hikes I go on each year, she won't budge on this one.

hahaha, i wish but i would be pretty rubbish considering ive already blown my cover!! i dont think its a midlife crisis yet - im only 23 :D well 24 in two weeks or so. Ive just come out of a serious relationship where i never really had the chance to do stuff i REALLY wanted to do and i'll be damned if im gona miss the chance to do them now. you only live life once right? ;)

besides, its one of my goals to go out and enjoy 2010 :D...silly stuff/travelling, finish uni degree and then crack on with my cisco studies.

• KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

The one I did, long time ago now, was solo on a normal chute (square) If you were under 13 stone, that's what you got or a round (WW2 type) if you were over that. Not sure what the upper limit on weight was.

The day before we spent the day being trained which was really good. Some points still come to mind like being shown round the landing area where there were three large oak trees and they said, don't worry about trees 1 and 2 because if you get fixated enough on the object that you end up steering straight into it, it will be tree 3 that you hit. Another was learning how to pull the reserve and I asked the teacher how many times she had needed to pull the reserve in her life to which she replied only 3 times..... Surely once was enough.

Getting in the van to drive to the plane was the scary bit... nerves were all over the place. Forced myself to stick with it and got on the plane and after a lot of bumps, it took off. Open door all the way and I am sitting about 2 feet from it.

I remember jumping and counting 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-1000, 5-1000 and looking up to check the canopy had opened correctly only to see the chute not being deployed yet and still half in the bag but the drogue chute was out and getting really scared. Then realised that I had done that counting in about 2 seconds flat due to nervousness so I held on for a bit before doing the cut away and pull reserve procedure and sure enough it all opened properly and everything went silent. The training really kicks in and although your nervous, you know what to do.

After that little frightener, I was happy to just float down from 3,500 feet as slow as you like but I thought sod it and grabbed the toggles and went for it. Full down hard on right toggle and OHH MY GOD I was spinning. Toggle back up and it settled back to straight flight ... that's enough of that. Baby steps from now on.

Eventually landed about 5 feet from the landing spot which was in a sheep field and first point of contact with the ground again was a sheep patty and I went flying and got covered in it ... no worries... I still wanted to get straight back up and do it again.

Really good fun and what a rush. Doesn't last too long at 3,500 feet though. Guarentee you will find it very difficult to get that scared again.

Place I did it took under wing photos of you as you let go of the plane and fell away. Still have that photo somewhere.
    Kam.
    Hey Kam,

Thanks for the story man. Sounds amazing but very scary at the same time! im really hoping to do it now. ive contacted the club via an email address and on, ahem, facebook :D and im just waiting for a reply. Although a friend has mentioned that he doesnt think i'll be able to do it because i havent attended that university...im hoping his wrong for the price and the experiance! :D

• SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took 2 dives back when I was in university but they were solo static so it wasn't that exciting comparing to a tandem.