2010 - 10k reading goal - What are you reading?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well, I have already started on my reading for this year. As you can see from sig I have my reading mapped out. I also will be starting my Bachelor degree from Western Governors this year. Between my sig list and college I should probably reach 10k. What are all of you planning to read this year?

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm charging hard to get my degree finished in the next year'ish, so that will play a part. Additionally, since I'm planning on several cisco certs- those will be a huge part. Finally, I've been doing a lot of studying on security related topics, and some Perl/Python programming as well (which always results in me reading CPAN or googling for articles).

It's going well so far, but it's only the 2nd! If I can maintain this motivation, I should surpass the goal.
  • jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've started on the challenge yesterday. I finished the last few pages of my Mark Minasi book on masterin server 2008. And the next few books i'm working through are for the CCNA/ICND2. I started the ICND2 book for 640-816 today and when i'm done with that i'm moving on to CCNA semesters 3 and 4 and once done with that i got the CCNA exam cram. With the official plan being ICND2 at the end of january or early Feb. I failed it the first time i took it in November last year.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jwedlund wrote: »
    ...Mark Minasi book on masterin server 2008.

If that is anything like the Mastering 2k3 book then my hat is off to you. The 2k3 book is huge!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well, presently I'm working my way through the Odomo QoS guide for the QoS exam. Also this year, afterward I'll be rereading Internet Routing Architectures and the relevant BGP sections in Routing TCP/IP, Volume 2 for the BGP exam, then I'll read through MPLS Fundamentals for the MPLS exam.

Then it'll be time to get really heavy, as I prep for the CCIE Written exam, which will entail a reread of Routing TCP/IP Vol. I, and I'll probably go ahead and reread Vol.2 as well, at least the non-BGP sections, then there's the monster Odom CCIE Exam Cert guide vol4, which comes in at about 1000 pages all by itself, along with the Caslow book, the Kennedy Clark switching book, and I'm sure I'll find a few other resources along the way.

As far as pleasure reading goes, I still need to catch up on Gabaladon's Outlander series, haven't read the latest book yet, but it's sitting in my pile. The sequel to Daemon is being released this month, so I'll definitely be picking it up as well, and I hope George Martin can get off his ass and finish the next Ice and Fire book this year.
    Yes it is similar but this time he split the books into 3. I finished the first volume and i'm waiting on volume 2 and 3 to become available on amazon so i can order em.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    jwedlund wrote: »
    Yes it is similar but this time he split the books into 3. I finished the first volume and i'm waiting on volume 2 and 3 to become available on amazon so i can order em.

Mark won't be publishing the next 2 volumes (which were originally supposed to be released over a year ago). We should be getting a combined/updated-for-R2 version in sometime in January according to Mark (but February according to Amazon).

The 2008 (and Windows 7) Books:  An Update
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Going through the Odom ICND1 and ICND2 books again as I finally pledge to review and complete the CCNA after getting close and letting work derail my studies. Went through the first 9 chapters of ICND1 the last couple days.

After that is completed it's on to the official certification guide for CCNA Security.

I'm not sure on the rest of my reading list yet, but part of my studies towards the Master's degree this year will entail the CEH, G7799, CWSP, and CHFI.

Going to make some progress through "Cisco ASA, PIX, and FWSM Firewall Handbook" as well and dig a bit deeper into more advanced features on my ASA5505 at home and start to more efficiently utilize the ASA5510 I replaced a failed PIX with in the office.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CISSP will take care of at least 20% of that. Not sure what else I'll be doing. SANS GSEC, GPEN, GWAPT and/or GCIH are potentials; each one of those will be approximately 1000 pages. I think I'm going to try to really hone my Python skills and do some exploit development and pursue the OSCE. In addition to the new edition of Learning Python, I have Hacking: The Art of Exploitation (2nd), Gray Hat Hacking, Gray Hat Python, and The Shellcoder's handbook. I have a few Risk Assessment/IT Audit books to get through too. It's going to be a busy year for sure...
    That completely stinks i really wanted to get the last 2 but i guess having one big book for R2 would work just as well so i'll order that one instead. Thanks
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For the certs in my sig that should be about 5k easy. I also want to read Routing TCP I+II, VPN config guide and a couple of other books. I will probably end up reading the admin guides for Windows XP/Vista/7, Server 2003/8 and maybe a exchange guide. I also need to review my regular expressions books (on order) and a hacking exposed book. Open source pen testing is also a big focus of mine.

For non IT reading, I plan to read the Bible (cover to cover) purpose driven life, and a few other books of the like. I also plan to read a few books on accounting, finance, business, and investing so I can get my family budget in order.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cert wise
    CISSP,Sec+,SCNA/P,CCSA,CCNA:S,CCWNS,GCIH

Work related
    Managing People,Strategic Practice,IT Management,Marketing,Finance Organisational Change.

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    Cert wise
    CISSP,Sec+,SCNA/P,CCSA,CCNA:S,CCWNS,GCIH

Work related
    Managing People,Strategic Practice,IT Management,Marketing,Finance Organisational Change.

"First break all the rules" is a great book regarding managing people..I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Looks like my goals are somewhat on target with you dynamik. I've got some Python/Perl skills, but nowhere near where I need to be. I plan on possibly taking the OSCP later this year..not sure if there'll be time for the OSCE with my other plans, but that would be great. I'm pretty much reading through the same material as you are (outside of my cisco studies).
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    I am now starting my CCNA. The book I'm reading is CCNA Exam Prep 640-802 by Jeremy Ciora. After this, I will start on reading the Sybex book.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    knwminus wrote: »
    For non IT reading, I plan to read the Bible (cover to cover) purpose driven life, and a few other books of the like.
    I hate to spoil it for you but it has a bad ending! :D
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hate to spoil it for you but it has a bad ending! :D

HA! That depends on how you look at it....icon_wink.gif
  • karlhtkarlht Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the process of reading a Security+ Study Guide as well as an Exam Cram for Sec+. After that will be Net+, and a Python book I just picked up. With that and my BA, I should be able to get to 10k.:)
    Currently enrolled in B.A. program for CIS

Going to be studying for A+, Network+, and Security+ Certifications when I get my books.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hmmm not sure i will break the 10k mark, not sure if i want to. With the books listed in my signature along with the CCIE Certification v4 book i barely break 4k pages. Thats 5 very heavy and intense material/books to cover for all of 2010. Most of my attention will be with the CCIE written exam doing a lot of ready and labing come may-december. Once i finish the first 4 books and those wireshark dvd's which should be around april I will start the CCIE written from May - December. Should be plenty of time for the written , reading material, as well as labs for the written. Yes im doing labs for the written as well, cant be too prepared for the written, plus it will help me a lot for the Lab portion in 2011. So with that said 2010 i got 4-5k pgs of reading, and many hours of labs, not really sure if i want to hit 10k pgs and disrupt my CCIE journey.

Anyways i wish everyone else the best and always remember if you do to much reading your probably not doing much lab work, which is vital in IT, which is also the fun part! Quote me on that!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You're probably going to end up adding more to your reading for the CCIE Written than you think, especially if you follow Odom's Further Reading sections. I'm on a similar plan to yours, except I'm doing CCIP the first half of the year, and then I'll move to CCIE written for the second half, and I'm going to prep for the written like I'm prepping for the lab in order to decrease my turn around time. If you haven't already read them, chances are pretty good you're going to end up reading both volumes of Routing TCP/IP at the very least
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This year, I will be mostly studying/reading for: -

ISCW (Feb)
    ONT (Apr)
    CCNA: Voice (Jun/July)
    QoS (Sept - though am tempted to go straight onto that one alongside ONT)

Basically I have a view to get CCNA:V and CCVP wrapped up by end of 2011.

Oh and I'm getting married in under 11 months.