Computertraining.edu shuts down

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone else see this? I never thought they would shut down, but I guess they did.
Students Want Refunds, Answers After Local School Closes | NBC4i.com
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone else see this? I never thought they would shut down, but I guess they did.
    Students Want Refunds, Answers After Local School Closes | NBC4i.com

They were pretty big (advertising wise) in the Cincy area. I couldn't even turn on the radio without an offer to get MCP or MCSE certified...
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    im a former trainer there. it happened so fast
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    im a former trainer there. it happened so fast

That sucks. I hope you get all the money you deserve from them (and then some). It seems like they should have more liability legally.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I wouldn't exactly call this a "local" school - it was a multi-state training center that was LITTERING the airwaves with commercials over the last couple of months. Seriously, I couldn't go a day without hearing "Hey are you afraid of losing your job? Do you make less than $50,000? How would you like to be indispensible? Are you good with computers?! Are you willing to study hard, REALLY hard for 6 months to get your Microsoft certification?!"

Apparently, the bank that held their fiscal cajones pulled back and decided to not keep extending them credit - not sure if it was something they did to warrant that treatment, or if it is just an indicator of a tough economy. If you go to computertraining.com or computertraining.edu, there's a bit of a rant about how much their bank sucks and how they're really trying to work with people to make amends.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    skrpune wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call this a "local" school - it was a multi-state training center that was LITTERING the airwaves with commercials over the last couple of months. Seriously, I couldn't go a day without hearing "Hey are you afraid of losing your job? Do you make less than $50,000? How would you like to be indispensible? Are you good with computers?! Are you willing to study hard, REALLY hard for 6 months to get your Microsoft certification?!"

Apparently, the bank that held their fiscal cajones pulled back and decided to not keep extending them credit - not sure if it was something they did to warrant that treatment, or if it is just an indicator of a tough economy. If you go to computertraining.com or computertraining.edu, there's a bit of a rant about how much their bank sucks and how they're really trying to work with people to make amends.

wow, i can't believe that is now the web page.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We had a story on the local news. I hated hearing these commercials because its such a slap in the face for people who went to college and worked hard to where they are now. Plus i think its funny people are paying 15g's for the opertunity to do MS certs.

Enjoy your expensive paper MCSE. Oh wait you can't. I want to hear more from jimmypizzle83 because he was a trainer what did he teach and how was it structured and what not?

From the commercials its sounds like a boot camp or brain **** factory.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    wow, i can't believe that is now the web page.
    yeah, that strikes me as totally unprofessional. There's the right way to gracefully stick it to the people that stuck it to you, and then there's being a boob about it.

@wweboy - I agree, those commercials were a bit much. I got so sick of hearing them all the time, and the "Why aren't you making more money...are you lazy? Stupid?!" lines in the latest round of ads just added to the annoyance. It also really bugged me that they referenced it as getting "your Microsoft certification" - I always screamed back at the radio, "WHICH ONE?!" I do wonder what led up to the bank pulling their credit, and I also wonder what kind of business/fiscal model they had that one single credit holder took them down??
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    wweboy wrote: »
    We had a story on the local news. I hated hearing these commercials because its such a slap in the face for people who went to college and worked hard to where they are now. Plus i think its funny people are paying 15g's for the opertunity to do MS certs.

Enjoy your expensive paper MCSE. Oh wait you can't. I want to hear more from jimmypizzle83 because he was a trainer what did he teach and how was it structured and what not?

From the commercials its sounds like a boot camp or brain **** factory.

It was DEFINITELY not a brain **** factory. Suspected use of braindumps by students was punishable by immediate expulsion and forfeiture of tuition. The tuition fluctuated a lot the past few months. We taught an MCSA program until October '09 and then MCITP:SA material until we closed. We taught Vista, 70-640, 642, 646. Our classes were half lecture, then a MOAC lab the rest of the night. We would have huge projects called build labs that the students would complete about once every 3 weeks. The build labs would give the students a mock scenario where they would have to meet certain requirements with what skills they had learned up until that point. The course was 6 months long, but I'm sure you all know that from the commercials. I wouldn't take the chance of losing my certs/being banned from certifying for ANY employer. The program was intense, but doable. I saw the program change a lot of lives for the better. I no longer work for them and they robbed all of us for our last paychecks. They did all of that, but I still think it was a quality training program.

The only pieces of practice test software we allowed students to use were SelfTest and Transcender.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    "Education that will change your life..."

And apparently, your bank account for the worse. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ... I no longer work for them and they robbed all of us for our last paychecks. They did all of that, but I still think it was a quality training program.

The only pieces of practice test software we allowed students to use were SelfTest and Transcender.

It may honestly be that their assets have been frozen and they are unable to pay you or that they simply do not have any money to pay as it seems like they were seeking credit... Just as bad for you, though, I'm sure.