Options

ISFCE Certified Computer Examiner (CCE) Question

I-ballI-ball Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

Has anyone taken this course and exam? I would like some feedback regarding the content and level of difficulty that can be expected on the exam.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Do you have a link for the course? Is it the one from Gatlin?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of the CCE's i know are european and work for there banks, MC's or insurance.

In north american I think the vat majority of auditors hold CISA. It's supposed to be a very difficult exam.
  • Options
    CISA and CCE are two very different certifications. CISA is more business accounting/auditing/controls/risk and CCE is heavy-duty technical and legal computer forensics.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    CISA and CCE are two very different certifications. CISA is more business accounting/auditing/controls/risk and CCE is heavy-duty technical and legal computer forensics.

One of my former profs is a CCE. he attained it in 04 i believe while holding his CISA for about 10 years. The major difference is that CCE's are called into court as experts on computer forensics. A CISA normally won't have the law experience to do that. The actual information gathering is relatively the same but on a local verses national level.

Most companies only need a CISA and have a pool of CCE's they use if the need arises. The other CISA I know from this side of the pond is a lawyer by trade but most of his work now is as an expert witness. He has one person he's training to take over his work when he's done and that person has been his understudy for 6 years now and is still not considered an expert. He is an actuary by profession.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I-ball wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone taken this course and exam? I would like some feedback regarding the content and level of difficulty that can be expected on the exam.

Thanks

Hi I-ball,

I currently hold this certification. Due to the ISFCE code of ethics, I cannot discuss the level of difficulty within the examination process. I would recommend you check out The International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners - ISFCE website for more information as to what skills will be tested for the certification.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Everlife wrote: »
    Hi I-ball,

I currently hold this certification. Due to the ISFCE code of ethics, I cannot discuss the level of difficulty within the examination process. I would recommend you check out The International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners - ISFCE website for more information as to what skills will be tested for the certification.

You should be able to explain your experience and how you felt about the exam. :) Nobody can regulate your own feelings.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should be able to explain your experience and how you felt about the exam. :) Nobody can regulate your own feelings.

Yes, I would like to know if you felt it was worth it, and do you think you learned much through studying for it?
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□

I enjoyed the examination process and felt the ISFCE represented the skill set required fairly well. This is not a certification for someone new to the forensics field. I believe this requires a solid year or two worth of digital forensic investigative experience to pass.

I didn't really study for this exam, as I was familiar with the content due to my work experience.

A better introduction to the computer forensics field would be to image your hard drive with dd, grab one of the many free computer forensic suites out there, and play around with it. I'll also make some recommendations of various books which would be great to get someone new started.

Amazon.com: Windows Forensics: The Field Guide for Corporate Computer Investigations (978047003862icon_cool.gif: Chad Steel: Books

Amazon.com: File System Forensic Analysis (9780321268174): Brian Carrier: Books

Amazon.com: Real Digital Forensics: Computer Security and Incident Response (9780321240699): Keith J. Jones, Richard Bejtlich, Curtis W. Rose: Books

Amazon.com: Computer Forensics: Incident Response Essentials (0785342707199): Warren G. Kruse, Jay G. Heiser: Books

Sorry I'm not more specific, but the ISFCE code of ethics is very strict and I believe the website explains the skill set and difficulty of the exam better than I every could!
  • Options
    lacto17lacto17 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hi

I'm not able to access the link. Is there any alternative links ?

Regards
    Karthik.
    Thanks & Regards
    Karthik.
  • Options
    lacto17 wrote: »
    I'm not able to access the link. Is there any alternative links ?
    You must be behind a firewall or filter that is blocking the domain, the IP address, or a block of IP addresses. Try emailing info@isfce.com and ask if they have an alternate site, or try accessing the site from a different Internet connection on your end.