Options

What is Ethernet?

goldenclickgoldenclick Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
First post here so hello to all!

I am reading the Network+ book from LearnKey and it mentions Ethernet.

The definition was somewhat vague but I have taken it to be a standard that is used for hosts to communicate with each other over a network. Within Ethernet there are different varieties of architectures one can use (10BaseT, etc.)

Please correct me if I am mistaken...
"The difference between champ and chump is U"

Currently Studying:
Network +
70-642 towards MCITP Server Administrator

Comments

• Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    What you have said is correct. I wouldn't worry about the section too much beyond that for right now; after you have read about the whole OSI model, and where Ethernet falls in on that, maybe you should revisist the section with your new knowledge.

After all, IP is also a standard used by hosts to communicate over a network, right? -- and so are TCP, HTTP, etc. -- but they all have different purposes. What those purposes are and how they work together will become more clear with an understanding of the OSI model.

Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First post here so hello to all!

I am reading the Network+ book from LearnKey and it mentions Ethernet.

The definition was somewhat vague but I have taken it to be a standard that is used for hosts to communicate with each other over a network. Within Ethernet there are different varieties of architectures one can use (10BaseT, etc.)

Please correct me if I am mistaken...

Ethernet is defined at layer 1 and in layer 2 so keep that in mind. There is the "ethernet" frame, and cables that conform to the physical standards of ethernet. You might want to review this before you go kill that test
    Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    goldenclickgoldenclick Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Met44 wrote: »
    What you have said is correct. I wouldn't worry about the section too much beyond that for right now; after you have read about the whole OSI model, and where Ethernet falls in on that, maybe you should revisist the section with your new knowledge.

After all, IP is also a standard used by hosts to communicate over a network, right? -- and so are TCP, HTTP, etc. -- but they all have different purposes. What those purposes are and how they work together will become more clear with an understanding of the OSI model.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks folks! That is very helpful...not too sue about the OSI stuff I'm still on chapter 1 lol

I finished chapter 1 and scored 31/33 on the practice exam so that is a good sign!
    "The difference between champ and chump is U"

Currently Studying:
    Network +
    70-642 towards MCITP Server Administrator