Options

Need help quick!!! EPP and ECP

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Are EPP and ECP the two main printer standrads in connection with parallel? If so whats the main differences between both?

Are they both transfering data at 8 bits? or is EPP 4 bits?
I know ECP uses DMA and data compression so this is a main differnece of the two.

However are these the only differences? I really need to know if they are both 8 bit or not.
The technotes say they are both 8 bit but other notes i have say EPP is 4 bit!

Thanks very much for your help! :D

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    From the Techexam study notes,
    http://www.techexams.net/technotes/printers.shtml
    Parallel (LPT, IEEE 1284)
    This is the most common used connection today.
    -EPP / ECP
    In the CMOS you are able to configure a parallel port to use EPP or ECP. Enhanced Parallel Port and Extended Parallel Port are both bi-directional standards, operate in 8-bit, and allow data transfer speed of approximately 2 MB/s. Some of the main differences are that ECP supports Direct Memory Access (DMA) and data compression, which enables higher transfer rates.

I don't know of any LPT ports(parallel printer ports) or parallel ports that
    are anything but 8-bits and speeds are given in Megabytes(MB). These IEEE standards are a standard 8-bits. Just as a review/reminder, serial ports are specified in bits-per-second or Megabits/second(Mb)--this is also useful knowledge when you are dealing with understanding LAN data transfers(they're serial).

You may already know this, but I think we all need reminded of these "simple" things from time to time. And it's a good review for me too!

Best of luck in your studies!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks janmike. So they are both 8 bits.
    And the main difference is that ECP uses DMA and data compression.