Options

MCSE/A Official Retire Date

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
When is the MCSE/A officially retiring? I wanted to complete the MCSE track but I do not want to get caught up in the whirlwind where the exams aren't being offered anymore.

Thanks in advance.icon_thumright.gif
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    According to Microsoft they're not going to retire the MCSA/E credentials anytime soon -> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx <-. There's a list of exams that's going to be retired October 31st of this year, which is not any of the core 2003 MCSA/E exams. See list here -> Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) <-.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    gocubsgocubs Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam-dev.aspx#tab4

that's the link to expiring exams the 31st of october
    So Far: A+, MCDST, MCITP:Vista Supporting

2010 Plans: MCSE:M+S and CCNA

Studying: AAS in Networking and Security
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    First with the CCNP, and now with MCSA/MCSE. Let the panic begin. . . icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since the 2000 exams retired in 2008, you could figure the 2003 exams would retire in 2011. However, I think it's much more likely that they'll retire when the next version of Windows Server is released (like in 2008 ). They seem to keep two tracks going simultaneously. One thing you can be sure of is that you'll get ample notice. They would have already announced the end-dates if that was going to happen in 2010. I'd wager March, 2011 would be the earliest.
  • Options
    Norrlands TurkNorrlands Turk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops
    Exam 70-624
    They are retiring a Windows Vista exam?! It makes a little sense considering Vista's popularity (!) but don't you think its little early to retire this exam. icon_confused.gif??:
    WIP (Q2 - 2012):
    Undecided
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    They are retiring a Windows Vista exam?! It makes a little sense considering Vista's popularity (!) but don't you think its little early to retire this exam. icon_confused.gif??:

That probably has more to do with the popularity (or lack thereof) of that particular exam, coupled with the fact that it also covers Office 2007, which is soon to be replaced by Office 2010. They probably weren't seeing as many people take that exam as, say, 70-620.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Slowhand wrote: »
    That probably has more to do with the popularity (or lack thereof) of that particular exam, coupled with the fact that it also covers Office 2007, which is soon to be replaced by Office 2010. They probably weren't seeing as many people take that exam as, say, 70-620.

I passed 70-624 and the only reason I took it was to meet a partner requirement for MS-funded Desktop Deployment Planning Services engagements. Not many people took the exam overall, and I bet most (if not all) of them took it for the same reason I did. Honestly, we're not seeing much interest in Vista deployments these days. Some other exam will probably replace it as a DDPS requirement for Windows 7 deployments, but I don't know if that will be 70-686 or another exam.

I am surprised they are retiring the 70-285 Exchange 2003 design exam. Not that there is a lot of 2003 design work going on, but 285 is a requirement for the MCSE: Messaging specialization. By retiring that exam MS is essentially retiring the MCSE:Messaging specialization.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I am surprised they are retiring the 70-285 Exchange 2003 design exam. Not that there is a lot of 2003 design work going on, but 285 is a requirement for the MCSE: Messaging specialization. By retiring that exam MS is essentially retiring the MCSE:Messaging specialization.

Yea, but at the same time, they will be on the second generation of the MCITP: EMA. It really seems like they're trying to only support the two most recent versions/tracks simultaneously.