Options

IT Professional Fitness Kick

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Just a general thread to talk about where we are physically and to bounce ideas off one another about getting in shape. General lifestyle in the US and UK seems to leave much to be desired. Being here on the continent people are trimmer. They walk to places and eat better.

If anyone does any exercise on a daily basis they can log it here. My best bench press is 105 kilos natural at the age of 39 so that's that out of the way :) Oh yeah dead lift was 135K. The weight of the bar not included in those numbers ;) No records but I was pleased with that.

Anyway all the weights and swimming has stopped for 18 months so need to do something. May just kick rugby balls over some posts on a pitch for starters..

This guy was good at that! Fantastic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtTbcfwCMA

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I really need to get into shape. Bad.

And perfect circle is not the shape I want.

I have gained probably 40 lbs in the last 2 years (since I stopped doing physical jobs, and started to venture into IT).

My work is very sedentary. When I go home, I am studying quite a bit or watching TV. I need to really come up with a good schedule that balances working out/studying for certs after work.

I'll feel torn alot. I will go on a huge workout kick, and drop about 20 lbs. Then I will go on a huge study kick and gain the 20 lbs back, because all I did was work and then study. I really need to come up with a balanced alternative to do both. icon_cool.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    I really need to get into shape. Bad.

And perfect circle is not the shape I want.

I have gained probably 40 lbs in the last 2 years (since I stopped doing physical jobs, and started to venture into IT).

My work is very sedentary. When I go home, I am studying quite a bit or watching TV. I need to really come up with a good schedule that balances working out/studying for certs after work.

I'll feel torn alot. I will go on a huge workout kick, and drop about 20 lbs. Then I will go on a huge study kick and gain the 20 lbs back, because all I did was work and then study. I really need to come up with a balanced alternative to do both. icon_cool.gif

Its a common problem. We work and sit on our asses. We drive to work. More ass. We drive to the shops. More ass.

You get home..you eat and sit on your ass.

Personally given the busy lives we all lead there seems to be a tendency to want to 'shock' the system in terms of diet and exercise to get things right quickly. These things are too intense and doomed to failure.

I think a 1 year program which is achievable, moderate and sane will reap much better results because its a gradual change for the body.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Personally given the busy lives we all lead there seems to be a tendency to want to 'shock' the system in terms of diet and exercise to get things right quickly. These things are too intense and doomed to failure.

I see that often, I know people who have gone from that point where they realize for whatever reason that they have really let go of themselves and want to get in shape so they buy into some program. I know a guy who went to an extreme and bought the P90x system and I think he last 2 weeks before he essentially started to think that working out was going to make him miserable so he stopped. Couldn't convince him that what he was trying to do was an incredibly intense workout 6 days a week and of course they would feel miserable.

I'm getting into a bit of a routine myself on a budget since cash is tight right now. But one can get a pretty good workout with an inexpensive doorway pull up system, some resistance bands, and a homemade kettlebell.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    ...More ass ... More ass.

Hehe, it's fun to take things out of context ;)

But in all seriousness I've recently started working out again because of back problems. I was born with Spina Bifida Occulta in which I'm missing parts in my lower back. Most of my life it has just been a bother, in all actuallity I didn't know about it till i was 21. But recently, after spending 5+ years sitting on my ass with school and work, my back started to cause real problems. A couple of months ago I stayed home from work for 3 weeks and literally couldn't get up to go use the washroom... To get to the there was about a 20 min chore which involved my wife dragging me the whole way.

Since then I've been getting in about 20 mins of cardio a day which has helped hugely. I've lost about 10 pds and my back only gives minor problems every now and then.

It's sad that I didn't start working out untill I was forced too but it's kind of a mixed blessing. I have to work out now but in return I'll still reap the health benifits from it :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    Put on some running shoes and go for a jog....It's free!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm starting to feel the pains of IT as well. Wife says I need to lose some wait.

I told her it's not fair that she can be light, it runs in her family... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I see that often, I know people who have gone from that point where they realize for whatever reason that they have really let go of themselves and want to get in shape so they buy into some program. I know a guy who went to an extreme and bought the P90x system and I think he last 2 weeks before he essentially started to think that working out was going to make him miserable so he stopped. Couldn't convince him that what he was trying to do was an incredibly intense workout 6 days a week and of course they would feel miserable.

I'm getting into a bit of a routine myself on a budget since cash is tight right now. But one can get a pretty good workout with an inexpensive doorway pull up system, some resistance bands, and a homemade kettlebell.

I know what you mean. Honestly even when I was a serious trainer back in 1988 doing weights, diet, the works, all natural, I used to look at some guys and say when will I look like you? The answer was, in a couple of years time. 2 years. Without gear. Thats a lot of workouts and importantly patience.

Now that was when I wanted that 'impressive physique' look. Im 41 now, I just want to look well. But I think the same outlook prevails. You need to give elapsed time to do it. The upside is Im not trying to build 17 inch arms, just want to stay trim so the effort should be a little less demanding :)

But I do think you need to just suck it up and say..ok lets go for a 12 month program involving something achievable that you can actually stick to. With some dedication without it taking over your life I think you can do a lot over 12 months. I could lose some weight, get firmer and stronger, look younger and get my energy levels up and I would only be 42. Most importantly, because its a gradual think, not a bloated thing, I think I will be more inclined mentally, physically and habitually to stay there.

We are not training for the Olympics here.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Im getting ready for my first half-marathon in April. Goal is to run 1000km this year and finish off with the Chicago marathon on 10/10/10 (would make a good tattoo!).

Its tough to get the miles in some days. Up for work around 630am, put in 45mins on the treadmill after work, come home and make/eat dinner, and its already 7-730pm and Im in bed by 10:30. Add in all the other BS I do (study, video games, reruns of the office), and its easy to skip the gym.

My next purchase is an indoor trainer for the bike so I can get some saddle time when its crappy out (about 150days/year).
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Im getting ready for my first half-marathon in April. Goal is to run 1000km this year and finish off with the Chicago marathon on 10/10/10 (would make a good tattoo!).

Its tough to get the miles in some days. Up for work around 630am, put in 45mins on the treadmill after work, come home and make/eat dinner, and its already 7-730pm and Im in bed by 10:30. Add in all the other BS I do (study, video games, reruns of the office), and its easy to skip the gym.

My next purchase is an indoor trainer for the bike so I can get some saddle time when its crappy out (about 150days/year).

Sounds exhausting Rob but certainly impressive. Will you really have time for lab prep with all that in 2010? I will look for something less intense quite frankly. With my wife and son coming over to Spain soon I will have my hands full after the working day is done.

I like the bed by 10:30 pm thing. Im going to do that. Better to get in the office early. At least I can get 1 - 2 hours racktime done before anyone turns in. Some evenings its just impossible to put the time in. Besides. Early risers impress the boss. Win - Win really.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I might make a suggestion: Body-for-LIFE

I had been following the recommendations from their books for nearly a year and it has wrought an amazing change in my life for energy and strength. When I started just over a year ago I was about 295 and wore a size 44 pants. I have dropped down to under 220 lbs and have now modified the diet/routine to add strength and muscle. I’m stuck on a size 40 pants because my thighs are too big to go down another size! But a size 38 fits me well in the waist. Wednesday I broke my PR on bench press with 245 lbs. The wife and I workout 6 days a week nearly without fail and it’s been very good for us. Before we started she had had a few blood pressure readings that were a little high and her blood sugar seemed to be trending up. She just had a physical on Tuesday and cholesterol, BP, sugar, all well within the normal range! Every 3 months we take a week off and just do some light cardio for that week. I would like to add that we do this, I work two jobs and pass my beta exams! icon_wink.gif
  • Options

I had been following the recommendations from their books for nearly a year and it has wrought an amazing change in my life for energy and strength. When I started just over a year ago I was about 295 and wore a size 44 pants. I have dropped down to under 220 lbs and have now modified the diet/routine to add strength and muscle. I’m stuck on a size 40 pants because my thighs are too big to go down another size! But a size 38 fits me well in the waist. Wednesday I broke my PR on bench press with 245 lbs. The wife and I workout 6 days a week nearly without fail and it’s been very good for us. Before we started she had had a few blood pressure readings that were a little high and her blood sugar seemed to be trending up. She just had a physical on Tuesday and cholesterol, BP, sugar, all well within the normal range! Every 3 months we take a week off and just do some light cardio for that week. I would like to add that we do this, I work two jobs and pass my beta exams! icon_wink.gif

They are definitley smaller and fitter in Continental Europe so far as I can see. Where are the fat people?

Well done Robert. Your bench press was where I was at when I was training like you. Feels good and you worked really hard to do that. I think the steady long term thing really works best for folks like us. Hell we have enough steady long term goals as it is.

Regarding trousers. I was always a 36 but it was a squeeze so now Im a 38. Time to buy some rugby balls and try and beat Paul Thorburns record again I think. Mind you he was in his twenties, talented and a big kicker and Im 41. Then again Im kicking for me and he has the TV, 60000 people in the stadium and the whole Welsh nation watching..its fair :)
  • Options

PS. I know what you mean about legs. They can get big. Its good that the waist size you need is there but if the legs are big you have to wear a bigger size. I remember my uncle who is ex-RAF telling me that Rory Underwood (A Pilot) complained that the flight suit they gave him didn't fit and was too tight. People were baffled because for his height the suit was standard. They gave him bigger sizes..still too small. It was his legs. He played wing for the England rugby team and his legs were really developed. I noticed that when I played rugby. Even the smaller men who had played rugby for years had legs that wobbled when they walked because of the developed muscles in hamstrings and quads. Particularly the faster men who sprinted on the wings like Rory Underwood.

I still have a ball signed by Underwood. My Uncle asked him to sign it as a Christmas present. He picked his moment to ask when he seemed to be far away thinking about something. Apparently he asked after me and everything. I played for the 3rd XV of a little know University. But he was interested. Must have been a break from fighter jets and all its preoccupations.
  • Options
    It is going to be rough to get the lab attempt in with all of that but its good to have a balance. I figure running consumes about 3-5hrs a week right now, which I have easily spent playing COD:MW2 lately haha. I also still get some studying done at work, simply by taking on more CCIE related projects.

Also, getting to work early is awesome! I save almost 20mins a day in a faster commute, better parking space, etc.
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    It is going to be rough to get the lab attempt in with all of that but its good to have a balance. I figure running consumes about 3-5hrs a week right now, which I have easily spent playing COD:MW2 lately haha. I also still get some studying done at work, simply by taking on more CCIE related projects.

Also, getting to work early is awesome! I save almost 20mins a day in a faster commute, better parking space, etc.

Sounds good. The early to work thing *works*. Early bird catched the worm. Plus one hour asleep before midnight is worth two after.

Winners go to bed. I remember an Australian coach asked in 1984 where a player was who they wanted to interview. He said he was 'training'. They said but he's not here training with the guys. Coach said 'He's training. He's sleeping'. That team beat everybody.

Prophetic.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Fitness and healthy eating has been a big part of my life for years now. Although my motivation has come and gone at times, I've stuck with it for the past year or so fairly consistently.

In addition to exercising, one huge thing for me is eating healthy. I don't do "diets" and I'm not particularly interested in losing weight, I simply abide by a fairly simple quote I ran across some time ago.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Source:
    Michael Pollan's 7 Rules for Eating

I've also heard it expressed as "Eat as close to the vine as possible."

I refuse to eat fast food, as there are always other options. I'd rather go hungry than put that crap in my body, anyway. I don't drink soda. I'll occasionally drink a Red Bull or something, but I opt for the sugar free kind when I do. A nice rule of thumb: Don't drink your calories. I stick primarily to water. When I do stray, it's usually unsweetened tea.

I also religiously check labels, not only for calories, but also for ingredients. If an item I want has too much "junk" in it, I don't buy it. I try my hardest to eat raw or prepare all foods I do eat with minimally processed ingredients.

As far as exercise goes...

I don't do the gym thing. I've never really been that type of person...I'd rather workout by myself. As of right now, I primarily focus on bodyweight exercises and cardio. I'll do various types of pushups each day, followed by 2 miles on the treadmill when I get home from work.

Perfect Push Ups Workout Guide: 35+ Exercises | The Art of Manliness

The treadmill can get a bit monotonous, however. I've been considering getting a jump rope or punching bag to alternate my cardio workout on days when I don't feel like running. However, shadow boxing is an incredible cardio workout as well and requires nothing but open air.

I'm hoping to get back into mountain biking in the spring, too.
  • Options
    Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Argh! I am nearly 40lbs overweight, I had several jobs during the time I was in school that required a lot of unpacking PCs directly from the vendor, putting a standard company image on it and repacking. Since I've been out of school almost 5 years, I've put on roughly 10lbs per year. Yikes!

Lately in the past month I've been thinking a lot about my overall health, and felt a need to take initiative in the new year to regain some level of fitness - heart problems are also very common on my moms side of the family, so I want to avoid any of that going into my 30s.

Also, two weeks ago my longtime boyfriend and I finally decided we should get married and are planning for a Spring 2010 wedding. We're looking at April 2010, and I would like to lose a bunch of this damn weight so I can look great on my wedding day. Vain, I know.

My brother found this book called New Rules of Lifting and he uses it, and it gets away from doing the whole muscle isolation exercises and using full body weight training sessions focusing on compound movements. I mix the workouts in there with several cardio sessions per week. So far its worked great for me, I used it in the past to lose 15lbs in 3 weeks just over a year ago.

Diet is also huge, exercise can only do so much if you don't clean up your eating habits.

I'm learning that the hardest part is to focus on the process itself, and not the end result. I've always been impatient, which led to me failing my goals a couple times in the past year.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Just use wii fit!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    In my personal experience and from what I've observed from those around me, you hit the nail on the head with this.
    Diet is also huge, exercise can only do so much if you don't clean up your eating habits.

I'm learning that the hardest part is to focus on the process itself, and not the end result. I've always been impatient, which led to me failing my goals a couple times in the past year.

I would venture to say that diet is the number one factor that contributes to difficulty losing weight, considering it's how most people gain the weight to begin with. Most people just believe that exercise = weight loss, without paying too much attention to the fact that it's more of complete lifestyle change.

Also, real results take time to achieve, unless you somehow have the motivation to work out like a madman and burn more than 1000 calories per day.

Like I mentioned previously, I generally run 2 miles, 4 days a week, then 3-4 miles 1 day a week. I can do this for months and still not really notice a difference.

This topic has simultaneously been a passion and pet peeve of mine for a good 5 years now. I don't like diets, because I don't like the idea of "weight loss". I like the idea of fitness and being healthy, which just so happens to bring weight loss to the table as well. Even if diets are successful, which they generally aren't, without changing the core habits that lead to the weight gain to begin with, the majority of people will gain that weight back.
  • Options
    Just an observation. I notice a lot of people in the West putting store in programmes and 10 point plans and what have you. I don't think folks in continental Europe do all that. Many never see the inside of a gym.

I think the long term thing is important. That and eat well and do something regularly.
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think people worry a touch too much about the number on their scale. But just like age, it is only a number and hardly tells the whole story.

People then spend hours and hours and hours doing cardio and neglect weight lifting for fear of getting bulkier or heavier. However, when you stop doing your cardio, for the most part, your increased calorie burning ends. However, increasing your muscle mass will improve your resting metabolism and therefore burn more calories while you're doing your desk job.

Oh, and speaking of "More @$$" and being out of context...

Doing the naughty is a great way to burn a few calories. :)
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote: »
    This topic has simultaneously been a passion and pet peeve of mine for a good 5 years now. I don't like diets, because I don't like the idea of "weight loss". I like the idea of fitness and being healthy, which just so happens to bring weight loss to the table as well. Even if diets are successful, which they generally aren't, without changing the core habits that lead to the weight gain to begin with, the majority of people will gain that weight back.

I run into similar problems. I frequently get asked what kind of "diet" I'm on. My diet has no gimmicky name. It's a common sense nutritional plan. I eat smaller more frequent meals that satisfy the nutritional requirements (high protein, complex carbs, FIBER! etc.) to maintain the body image I want. People will freak out when they see me eating mixed vegetables at 9:00 AM as if I'm coming some kind of sin. I could have a hell of a night at the bar if I had a dime for every time I've heard "You eat vegetables for breakfast!??!?!?!?!?"

I'm 6'3" - 205lbs - w/ a 32 inch waist. At work, I've had people yell at me in the break room that I shouldn't be dieting. I have no need for a diet. Sometimes, I think the fatties would rather try to knock me down than to build themselves up.

Finally - getting off track. At an old job, a large group of people did the Weight Watcher's thing. After a weigh in, they celebrated by eating cake. Seriously. WTF people?
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    Nuwin wrote: »

Oh, and speaking of "More @$$" and being out of context...

Doing the naughty is a great way to burn a few calories. :)

More @$$ is what motivates me!. Nothing helps get through a 10k like a great pace booty a few steps ahead of you!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Maybe need a 1000 lb challenge amongst TE members? Those looking to loose weight can add to the weekly total and see if combined can loose 1000?
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    First off.. Don't Diet. Make a lifestyle change.

I've been trying to get back into it myself. I thought that watching NBC's "The Biggest Loser" and setting up the Wii fit would help. It doesn't help when you are eating a pizza while watching the show, and using the Wii Fit board as a TV tray.

We are all made differently, so find a plan that will work for you. Right now I'm doing 1 hour of cardio / weight training before or after work. 6 lbs down.. 19 more to go.

Good Luck on your goals.
  • Options
    Nuwin wrote: »
    I run into similar problems. I frequently get asked what kind of "diet" I'm on. My diet has no gimmicky name. It's a common sense nutritional plan. I eat smaller more frequent meals that satisfy the nutritional requirements (high protein, complex carbs, FIBER! etc.) to maintain the body image I want. People will freak out when they see me eating mixed vegetables at 9:00 AM as if I'm coming some kind of sin. I could have a hell of a night at the bar if I had a dime for every time I've heard "You eat vegetables for breakfast!??!?!?!?!?"

I'm 6'3" - 205lbs - w/ a 32 inch waist. At work, I've had people yell at me in the break room that I shouldn't be dieting. I have no need for a diet. Sometimes, I think the fatties would rather try to knock me down than to build themselves up.

Finally - getting off track. At an old job, a large group of people did the Weight Watcher's thing. After a weigh in, they celebrated by eating cake. Seriously. WTF people?

It's what you do as you say. At 6'3 you are a tall man, taller than most of us and certainly in shape. Really I think you need the right diet like you say, but not a crash or fancy thing. You dont need to spend money on stupid supplements or kill yourself in the gym. Just go for something sensible and sustainable, do it everyday and give it TIME.

The gimmicks in diet and training and what have you just make some people money and leave the believers tired and fatter in the long run.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I eat what I want and stay a lean, average 162lbs at 5'11''.

Hate me now. lol
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I eat what I want and stay a lean, average 162lbs at 5'11''.

Hate me now. lol

hehehe..Good for you. No hate here. Can you hang 50lbs off that on a belt and do wide grip chin ups? I imagine you can bench your body weight.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    hehehe..Good for you. No hate here. Can you hang 50lbs off that on a belt and do wide grip chin ups? I imagine you can bench your body weight.

I can bench about 115% of my body weight.

Years ago I weighed ~120lbs and could bench 200. But I worked out every day and played rugby.

I gaind 40lbs in about 3 months when i turned 21 to hit 160 and have stuck since (been almost 4 years now).

Ive always had pretty good upper body strength, considering my lack of excercise.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561

I actually did the P90x about two years ago and loved/hated every minute of my 90 days. I ended up loosing about 25lbs and gained muscle mass, so I actually lost more than that. But, when I was laid off 47 weeks ago (just started my new full time job Monday as Network/Sys Admin!) I gained about 10-15 of that back. I just didn't have the motivation to work out, ate way too much junk food, etc.

I really want to make time again to start working out, and redo P90x, then move upto P90x plus. After that maybe get Insanity lol!

Right now I am just going to start trying to eat better again and use FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to track what I am eating to see where I can make improvements.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I can bench about 115% of my body weight.

Years ago I weighed ~120lbs and could bench 200. But I worked out every day and played rugby.

I gaind 40lbs in about 3 months when i turned 21 to hit 160 and have stuck since (been almost 4 years now).

Ive always had pretty good upper body strength, considering my lack of excercise.

Another rugby player? Outstanding. You sound pretty fit. I played fullback so I would be looking after you ;)