Patch Management

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how managed service providers remotely deploy patches. I know that you can setup a WSUS server and push out patches but how would you go about scanning a machine that isn't a part of your domain?

Comments

• pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    Well not sure what tools they are using but MBSA can scan non domain machines command line or GUI. I have patched local workstations at a company I used to work that were workgroup computers. Of course that being said you need to know the local admin account and password.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how managed service providers remotely deploy patches. I know that you can setup a WSUS server and push out patches but how would you go about scanning a machine that isn't a part of your domain?

I'd ask the Russian botnet master to please let me have access to the machine so I can patch it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

They install client software on the machines.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    They install client software on the machines.

That I know but those clients only install what NOC usually specifies. Therefore I would image that they need to have an idea of what patches are already install on the computer....is there a Windows Update API maybe?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Type systeminfo in at a command prompt.