Options

Best router for voice lab?

tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
I currently have use of a cisco 1811 router/switch for training and am looking forward to a ccna voice cert. With cost as the main factor what the cheapest solution I could add to be able to use CME ?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    2600XMs are probably your cheapest CME capable routers. You could look at the 1751 also.
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    2600XMs are probably your cheapest CME capable routers. You could look at the 1751 also.

Other possibilities are the 1760s and 3640s. Talke a look on eBay. I have seen 1760s loaded with CME 4.1 for as low as $80 (sometimes with free shipping depending on your location.) 3640s with CME 3.* from $100

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I give my vote for the 1760. Useful router and once you've added a pdvm/dsp it will accept all 1st generation voice cards, it takes a while to boot though. The 2600xm series require addidtional network modules and not all network modules accept all voice cards.

My money no object vote goes to the 2801.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikem2te wrote: »
    My money no object vote goes to the 2801.
    If money is no object, then for voice I'd take at least a couple 2811 routers pimped out for voice use.

If you're going to run Unity Express, then the AIM Module in the 265xXM along with CME 4.x may be your best bet reasonable cost option.

You also might find a cheap NM-CUE -- but you have to read the fine print and make sure it comes with the hard drive icon_rolleyes.gif

If you're going to skip Unity Express, then the 1760 is the Cheapest good voice option.

Remember that the CCNA:Voice exam is testing on the new UC520s

In my home voice lab I've got a herd of old MC3810s, a pack of 1760s upgraded for voice, and a gaggle of 2650 and 265xXM routers, and a spare 3640 which provides adult supervision and access to the home network and rest areas of my home Cisco Lab.

You have to poke through the individual Version Docs on the CME and IOS Software Compatibility Matrix to find out what hardware is supported by which CME version -- Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If money is no object, then for voice I'd take at least a couple 2811 routers pimped out for voice use.

If you're going to run Unity Express, then the AIM Module in the 265xXM along with CME 4.x may be your best bet reasonable cost option.

You also might find a cheap NM-CUE -- but you have to read the fine print and make sure it comes with the hard drive icon_rolleyes.gif

If you're going to skip Unity Express, then the 1760 is the Cheapest good voice option.

Remember that the CCNA:Voice exam is testing on the new UC520s

In my home voice lab I've got a herd of old MC3810s, a pack of 1760s upgraded for voice, and a gaggle of 2650 and 265xXM routers, and a spare 3640 which provides adult supervision and access to the home network and rest areas of my home Cisco Lab.

You have to poke through the individual Version Docs on the CME and IOS Software Compatibility Matrix to find out what hardware is supported by which CME version -- Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems

WOW! Mike, I want to see a picture of your home network, it has to be incredible! :D
  • Options
    WOW! Mike, I want to see a picture of your home network, it has to be incredible! :D
    I run a free range home lab -- so it's hard to get all the devices together in one spot at the same time. And even then the Cisco devices will pick on the vastly outnumbered Juniper devices and things get out of hand faster than a Hatfield/McCoy wedding. icon_lol.gif

I'll probably take a picture or two some day -- but time spent on photo ops is time spent not studying for the CCIE Lab, and work already has a monopoly on non-study time.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I run a free range home lab -- so it's hard to get all the devices together in one spot at the same time. icon_lol.gif

I'll probably take a picture or two some day -- but time spent on photo ops is time spent not studying for the CCIE Lab, and work already has a monopoly on non-study time.

Nice...

2010-01-09_1520.png
  • Options
    Cool thanks for the info everyone....

I think I'm going to purchase a cheap 2600 router with two 10/100 ethernet ports for my main internet connection and use either a 1760 or 26XX for the cme. From looking on ebay I should be able to pick up a 2600 for about 50 bucks shipped and the cme router for maybe 100 ish.

For a basic 2600 network/internet router is there anything I should avoid or try to obtain as far as features go?

THANKS!
  • Options
    tha_dub wrote: »
    use either a 1760 or 26XX for the cme.
    If you go 26XX, make sure it's a 2600XM model. Check out the available 2650XM and 2651XM routers available -- people forget about those and bid up the prices on 261xXM and 262xXM instead. I got my 2651XM 256/48 routers for $99-125.
    tha_dub wrote: »
    For a basic 2600 network/internet router is there anything I should avoid or try to obtain as far as features go?
    If your router doesn't have the horsepower, you could slow down your internet connection. Check out the Router Performance PDF from the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page. That's also a good place to check for router memory, switch performance, IOS packaging information, etc... The router module cross reference PDF (NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility) is my favorite.
  • Options
    Great thanks Mike

That clears everything up. Currently got a bid on a 2611 for 50 bucks shipped! We'll see how that goes.

I really liked the compatibility sheet... I was surprised at how cheap the XM routers are compared to what they are capable of.....

I'll see if I can get a 2650 router so i can do the UE I have to see what the $$$$ are....

Cheers!