New to Linux

ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering whats a good Linux OS to start from if you're new to Linux. I am thinking of installing a Linux OS on the second HDD in my pc just to kind of play around with it.

Would appreciate all your responses.

Thanks

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesn't really matter. It's good to get experience with an RPM package management system as well as Debian's. CentOS/Fedora and Ubuntu/Mint/Debian would be a good combination. Don't install a GUI; suffer through the command-line. You'll learn a lot that way.

Install VirtualBox and create Linux VMs. It's much more convenient that dual-booting, and you're not going to need much resources to run those.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was wondering whats a good Linux OS to start from if you're new to Linux. I am thinking of installing a Linux OS on the second HDD in my pc just to kind of play around with it.

Would appreciate all your responses.

Thanks

This might help you as well. I started a thread for linux noobs who are going for the linux+. http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/49571-linux-coming-months.html
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter. It's good to get experience with an RPM package management system as well as Debian's. CentOS/Fedora and Ubuntu/Mint/Debian would be a good combination. Don't install a GUI; suffer through the command-line. You'll learn a lot that way.

Install VirtualBox and create Linux VMs. It's much more convenient that dual-booting, and you're not going to need much resources to run those.
    Don't install a GUI?!?! I myself first started to learn Linux though the use of a GUI. From there I have begun digging deeper into the command-line. Using the GUI first allowed me to see the shortcomings GUI's and helped me to understand the importance of the command-line. If I had to start out from the command-line at first I would have been more likely to give up to continue learning Linux, but that's just my opinion.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    Don't install a GUI?!?! I myself first started to learn Linux though the use of a GUI. From there I have begun digging deeper into the command-line. Using the GUI first allowed me to see the shortcomings GUI's and helped me to understand the importance of the command-line. If I had to start out from the command-line at first I would have been more likely to give up to continue learning Linux, but that's just my opinion.

Gui's come and go but the cli is forever....
  • ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch for the replies, I'm activelly looking online for resources to get me started so if anyone has a link for a download link I would really appreciate that. Good luck to all.

Cheers