Options

Advice on my next step?

cjkeagle112cjkeagle112 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I thought I'd try posting here and see what you think. I just passed MCTS: 70-620, thinking about getting consumer and enterprise support mcitp. I am also considering the benefits of the Network plus for finding my first full time position.
here's my exp/ credentials now:

3 years IT experience, 2 years helpdesk, 1 year in a systems admin/net admin type role at an IT consulting company. I have the A+ (new version), MCTS: vista config. am graduating this semester with an associates in CIS: Cisco Networking. which untimatly through the cisco academy I'm in, prepares me to take the ccna someday.

I'm tight on funds right now and have a student discount for some microsoft exams, the Net+ is over 200 bucks, I could take probably 3 MS exams for that price, is it more worthwhile to verify my network skills and take net+? since that would give me my work exp. degree, network+ A+ MCTS while I'm looking for a full time desktop support, senior helpdesk, Assistant netadmin type role? Let me know what would make more sense, MCITP or Network + basically I was to have a very marketable resume by summer.

thanks in advance for everyone reading and posting!

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just curious what your long term goals are? What position are you looking for within 5 years from now? I think you should find a position as a Junior Server or Networking fields, depending on what your goals are within 5 years. If you want to be a Network Engineer dealing with Cisco products and network troubleshooting, complete your CCNA Cert since you are in the networking academy. If you see your self as a Server Engineer, then go the MS path and look for a Junior Server position.

Since you already have experience in the help desk field don't get stuck by starting in that field again. Because of your certifications people will give you a JR position , trust me there are a lot of admins out there that need help with the little things. There are a lot of senior admins who get frustrated and stuck with little tasks that a JR server or network technician can deal with, while they deal with bigger issues. It is called "grunt work" by higher level/senior engineers, it is called "experience and the chance to get your foot in the field" by Entry level technicians.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah dont waste your money or time on Network+ since you have Cisco Net academy exp. Get your CCNA if you want Networking cert.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX