Options

Book: "In Depth" Network+ 2009 - opinions?

haulin2IThaulin2IT Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying up to take the Networking+ certification test, and I just recently found this book and switched from what I found to be far more complicated Sybex written by Todd Lammle. These series of books seem to be new, but I really like the way the information is laid out. I find that I'm learning a lot more than I did with Lammle's book, not to say anything bad about his book though! I actually enjoyed Lammle's writing style, however, after getting halfway through the book I still had a lot of questions and wasn't very confident about passing the Network+ test.

Since I haven't yet taken the test I don't really want to be recommending any books, but I think this one is worth checking out if you're looking for Networking+ material. I don't have any networking experience other than screaming at my computer because I couldn't get my Xbox 360 to talk to my computer, but this book is helping me get a good grasp on networking. I know I'm doing this a little backwards, but after I get my Networking+ certification I'm going to go for A+. I've already looked at the "In Depth" version of their A+ (2009) book and might go with that.

I haven't seen these books mentioned in any threads, so I was curious if anybody has checked them out and tried them for any tests, or more specifically, used the networking version to get Networking+ certified.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I used the "In Depth" book for the 2005 version of the exam, and I loved it - the writing style, the organization, and the breadth of knowledge that made me feel like I had a better understanding of the topics rather than just enough to pass the exam. I coupled it with a lighter (both figuratively and literally) which I used first to get the basics covered since I was new to many of the topics, and then I dove into this book. I'd highly recommend it.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion