Options

vmware free yet?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey techies,

I have an older version of the vmware where it is the web GUI version
free that is. Does vmware still give out free vmware so I can set up
vertual servers on my laptop? I have been away from vware stuff and their site is huge with tons of stuff which one is the free one you can use? thanks
I really like the one that when you reboot your PC it reboots and start
all the servers with you having to start each one. In other words
the VMs start with the windows booting up version. And free of course.
Thanks
Happy New Year everyone!
~itdaddyicon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You want the free VMware Server which requires a host OS. VMware ESXi is also free but a bare metal hypervisor so not what you're looking for.
  • Options
    ESXi is free too wow hey thanks buddy! I didnt know that cool.
    Yeah dummy me I forgot my login for wmware site finally found it and yeah
    thanks...getting ready for something big! thank you sir.!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VMware Player is free as well and with version 3 you can create virtual machines.
  • Options
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    And let's not forget the most excellent (and free) VMware vCenter Converter 4 for performing those PM-to-VM and VM-to-VM conversions.
  • Options
    JD PM meaning existing server that is not a VM converted to VM?
    is that what you mean..
    thanks
    wow if that is true way cool
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    PM = Physical Machine; P2V = Physical-to-Virtual conversion.

You can (attempt) to convert a running machine to a VM using Converter. If that doesn't work, you can make a supported disk image of the PM and (attempt) to convert the image to a VM using Converter too.
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    With all of these free VMware tools.. is it even worth paying for VMware workstation?
    I purchased a copy of 6.0 back a couple of years ago, and considered upgrading to 7.
  • Options
    carboncopy wrote: »
    With all of these free VMware tools.. is it even worth paying for VMware workstation?
    They're not aimed at the same areas and each one gives you a different set of features.

VMware Player doesn't include features like cloning or snapshots.

ESX is a bare metal hypervisor.

Server is aimed at having your VMs running all the time. You might not want/need the VM layer running always. You're limited in the snapshots you can do.

Workstation has support for USB devices and 3D acceleration.

These are just the differences I could name off the top of my head. There are more differences but you'll have to investigate those on the VMware site.

Obviously if your aim is to just run a throwaway VM for testing then any of the free VMware products would work. It is if you need some of the more advanced features that you'd buy the paid products.
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    tiersten wrote: »
    They're not aimed at the same areas and each one gives you a different set of features.

VMware Player doesn't include features like cloning or snapshots.

ESX is a bare metal hypervisor.

Server is aimed at having your VMs running all the time. You might not want/need the VM layer running always. You're limited in the snapshots you can do.

Workstation has support for USB devices and 3D acceleration.

These are just the differences I could name off the top of my head. There are more differences but you'll have to investigate those on the VMware site.

Obviously if your aim is to just run a throwaway VM for testing then any of the free VMware products would work. It is if you need some of the more advanced features that you'd buy the paid products.

Yeah that makes sense, Thanks!
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    itdaddy wrote: »
    hey techies,

I have an older version of the vmware where it is the web GUI version
    free that is. Does vmware still give out free vmware so I can set up
    vertual servers on my laptop? I have been away from vware stuff and their site is huge with tons of stuff which one is the free one you can use? thanks
    I really like the one that when you reboot your PC it reboots and start
    all the servers with you having to start each one. In other words
    the VMs start with the windows booting up version. And free of course.
    Thanks
    Happy New Year everyone!
    ~itdaddyicon_cheers.gif

Yo IT Dadday, I had a bear of a time getting VMWare to work under Linux.

Would recommend trying Virtual Box, IMO, really rocks!

VirtualBox
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    JockVSJock wrote: »

VirtualBox

Amen to that. VMWare Server does not seem to have been kept up well with the latest Linux kernels. On the other hand, Virtualbox installs and runs happily on pretty much any Linux I run it on.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options

VirtualBox
    I believe itdaddy wants to use Windows as the host OS.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    tiersten wrote: »
    I believe itdaddy wants to use Windows as the host OS.

Looks like they have a d/l for Windows

Downloads - VirtualBox
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options

Downloads - VirtualBox
    I never said that VirtualBox doesn't support Windows. Your original post said that you had problems getting VMware working properly under Linux.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My uncle recently asked me about VMWare and the like and he sent me a screenshot of VirtualBox running Ubuntu on his Win7 host PC
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    My uncle recently asked me about VMWare and the like and he sent me a screenshot of VirtualBox running Ubuntu on his Win7 host PC
    Could be worse. According to one relative, absolutely everything is Microsoft Windows <blah>. Firefox? Microsoft Windows Firefox. Office? Microsoft Windows Office. etc...

I dread going to help them because their descriptions of the problem just basically say Windows is broken but that could be anything in their case.
  • Options

Downloads - VirtualBox

Tried it once a while back and didn't care for it-- didn't seem like many OSes were compatible as guests. Might try it again sometime.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Tried it once a while back and didn't care for it-- didn't seem like many OSes were compatible as guests. Might try it again sometime.
    Lately it has improved rapidly. Give it a try.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Lately it has improved rapidly. Give it a try.

I should clarify-- I tried the Windows version the last time. I did run it recently for a few weeks under OpenSUSE and it worked rather well.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    petedude wrote: »
    I should clarify-- I tried the Windows version the last time. I did run it recently for a few weeks under OpenSUSE and it worked rather well.
    I see. I don't think I've ever used the Windows version, but the Linux version has been working well for me.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV