Options

Backtrack 4 Final is out

The new website and download links are out!

Downloads

Join the torrent queue so that I get my version quicker :)
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome! great news! im downloading as we type!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I'm downloading it now and it is rather slow, but it's less than a two-hour wait. I'll be sharing it on one or two P2P sites tonight myself.

I'm wondering if performing an apt-get on the pre-final will update it to the final. Gotta try that too.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm downloading it now and it is rather slow, but it's less than a two-hour wait. I'll be sharing it on one or two P2P sites tonight myself.

I'm wondering if performing an apt-get on the pre-final will update it to the final. Gotta try that too.

Good idea...
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's the difference between this and the Beta?
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    JDMurray wrote: »

I tried that already and it doesn't work. You'll have to do a reinstall to get the "final" version which I'm doing right now :)
    GAngel wrote:
    What's the difference between this and the Beta?

There is a new kernel for once and it now use its own repository with custom applications "rewritten" for best compatibility with Backtrack. I think the goal is to make easier to get the latest tools and just general better usability.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    broc wrote: »
    I tried that already and it doesn't work. You'll have to do a reinstall to get the "final" version which I'm doing right now :)

There is a new kernel for once and it now use its own repository with custom applications "rewritten" for best compatibility with Backtrack. I think the goal is to make easier to get the latest tools and just general better usability.

That's awesome, I had just finished typing apt-get when I read that. Oh well, time to download the iso!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I was finally able to download it this morning :)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just get on the torrent if the direct links are slow. I was ripping down the torrent at over two megs per second.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    The Final version has a much smoother feel to it than the Pre.

I have a question.

I dual booting XP and Pre Final. What would be the easiest way for me to get rid of Pre Final and installing Final over it.

Should I be able to delete the Pre Final partitions with XPs partition manager? I looked and saw that I can delete the logical partition. Should I do that?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you just run it in a VM?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

Or from a USB stick.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options

I use it as my primary OS on my laptop.

I do use it as a VM on one of my other laptops, but for this specific one I don't.
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Or from a USB stick.

I already have a couple of USB drives with BT4 final on them.
  • Options
    carboncopy wrote: »
    I already have a couple of USB drives with BT4 final on them.

wtf. Why? It's been out for a DAY and I can't think of any practical reason to do that.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    wtf. Why? It's been out for a DAY and I can't think of any practical reason to do that.

Well ... One of the drives I will be using will have a few other tools installed and will be persistent. The other one wont. Plus the one that is not persistent, seems to work better for hard drive installs.

I think it's kind of an obsession I have with bootable thumb drives,lol. I have 14 USB drives that I carry around with different tools and such.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just personal preference, but I like to keep my pentesting OSes separate from my production desktop OS.
    I think it's kind of an obsession I have with bootable thumb drives,lol. I have 14 USB drives that I carry around with different tools and such.

You realize you can get drives bigger than 512mb now, right? ;)
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I have it installed on physical hardware as well. The netbook is used for nothing, but pure network pwnage.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    Maybe it's just personal preference, but I like to keep my pentesting OSes separate from my production desktop OS.

You realize you can get drives bigger than 512mb now, right? ;)

:o

I can't afford the newer 4GB thumb drives icon_sad.gif
  • Options

Real men hack banks from Windows 7.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    Real men hack banks from Windows 7.

Well that's a paradox. I run Windows 7, and yet...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    :o

I can't afford the newer 4GB thumb drives icon_sad.gif

fuuuwee! i see those certs you have listed that easily cost your over $600!!!

lol j/k just giving you a hard time
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    fuuuwee! i see those certs you have listed that easily cost your over $600!!!

lol j/k just giving you a hard time

Exactly... and that is why I do not have money,lol.

BTW.. I managed to get it working.

First I went on windows and deleted the logical drives and of course, I deleted where GRUB was and was not able to get back into windows icon_neutral.gif

Anyways... I booted from the thumbdrive and ran the installation. From there I created the partitions required and was able to install BT4. Now I have the new install with about 50GB more (deleted other useless partition) and Windows is working!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like the new web site! :D

Interesting, I see there is a forensics feature that lets it run without modifying the state of the drive.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Just heard of this, gonna d/l it right now...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown