Options

How to kill svchost sub process

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Could you help me to fix following issue please?

First of all I’m not able to restart my server so I need to sort it without this.
I tried to restart Removable Storage service but I’m not able to stop it. Since yesterday the service is in “stopping” state. I tried to find PID process which is assigned to the service. Unfortunately I found that svchot.exe serves it using one PID shared with couple other services.

Could you help me to find solution how to kill only Removable Storage process without affecting anything else please?

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Reboot. The service is hanging because it is blocking on IO or a lock. You won't be able to just kill the removable storage component without affecting the rest of the services being hosted by that particular svchost process.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. So there is no way to stop the service without rebooting server? It is not good news for me as restart will be painful for users.
  • Options
    PiotrIr wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So there is no way to stop the service without rebooting server? It is not good news for me as restart will be painful for users.
    Not without working out why it is blocking and some how resolving it which may or may not be possible. This would require you to poke around with a debugger. It is easier to schedule routine maintenance one evening and reboot the server.

It might be possible to kill the entire svchost process and see if it will restart everything but you'll be taking out other services as well which may be critical system processes. No guarantee that this would fix it either.

How did you get the service wedged like that anyway?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    Realize that each one of those svchost.exe processes you see in your server's process list is running a DLL for one or more services on that machine. If you are successful in stopping (or crashing) a svchost.exe process, you could be affecting the operation of many services on the machine.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies
    Yes, I would like to avoid situation like that.

What I did was
    Stop Removable Storage service
    Renamed all files in NtmsData folder
    Start Service (it stuck in starting stage)
    Sent command net stop Removable Storage
    After couple of hours I found service in stopping stage
  • Options
    The KB article mentions needing to alter a registry entry as well when you're clearing the database.

The only solution for you if it is still hung is to reboot.
  • Options
    Many thanks for your help.