DNS Zones

Robertb216Robertb216 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, could someone please explain DNS zones for me? I googled it, read it in my study guide and everything else, but the defenitions are long and very confusing. This is my last test for my MCSA and I am getting stuck early. Thanks!!!

Comments

• tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Robertb216 wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please explain DNS zones for me? I googled it, read it in my study guide and everything else, but the defenitions are long and very confusing. This is my last test for my MCSA and I am getting stuck early. Thanks!!!

it is an abstract term, i recomend reading about real life examples, if you have never been exposed to this subject before it could take sometime to get the hang of it.

what i used to do when i came accross abstract terms like this (and anyone who did ITIL will know what i mean!) is to ignore and work around them (just replace that term with "Tomatoes"). with time you will eventually get the hang of it. just make sure you know the technical side of it though (how to set it, configure it, troubleshoot it).

this is my method of study and it has been working so far.....icon_cheers.gif
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    Ok, this question has sat for a week with no useable answer. So, I'll bump this one for him. I know there are many members here that can put this into understandable laymens terms. "With out" references to "go read this-and-that". If I had his answer I would offer it, but... obviously I don't. So...anyone have any straight forward analogies for an understandable definition? (again without unending references to go read this-and-that, and go research...)
    Your time and help as always, is greatly appreciated.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you mean primary vs secondary vs stub zones or what a zone is in general?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Do you mean primary vs secondary vs stub zones or what a zone is in general?

The OP probably needs it all broken down, starting with zones in general.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DNS in Windows Server 2003 Server - Tutorial for Microsoft's Dynamic DNS

DNS Operations Guide

Petri IT Knowledgebase

The above websites are the ones I usually study off, with TechNet being the most comprehensive while the other two usually have screen grabs that wolk you through the installation processes. Hope this helps.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    If it is Primary, Secondary and Stub then here is what I think/remember:

Primary:
    Primary Zones are the original soruce. Like your AD would dynamicly update this one with machines etc.

Secondary:
    I believe are used to limit the amount of traffic, and can provide as a fail over incase the Primary has decieded to not want to work.

Stub:
    I think this one is were it really only contains the Primary and Secondary only to identify them (tho I can be wrong)

Any pointers on this would be great though.

Regards

edit: I have just thought. Wouldn't a secondary be a conditional forward?
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    A Primary Zone is a Read/Write Authoritive zone that DHCP & computers use to dynamically update their Host (A) and PTR recrods. This zone can be store as an Active Directory Integrated Zone or as Text Records.

A Secondary Zone is a Read-Only copy of the Primary Zone, which cannot be updated except by Pull Replication from a Primary Zone.

Stub Zones contain only the NS Records for another zone in order to make DNS queries more effiencent. A good example would be creating a Stub Zone on a Child Domain in a Parent Domain.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration