Options

Performance Issues in SQL Express?

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
Hi All

I know in advance that there is no way that there will be enough information to give me a truly accurate answer. We have a sales program that runs in our showroom and collects orders from handhelds scanning tags on product. This past week was the first time I got to see the application in action, and it appeared to be running very slowly. The handhelds would have some frequent connection issues. Normally, I would suspect newtwork connectivity first, but two of the three administration workstations was running slowly. The only place were the app seemed to be zippy was on the administration install local with the database install. I inquired about our database platform from the vendor, and was told that it was sql 2005 express. We have 20 handhelds and 3 workstations connecting to the database. Could there be something innate to the express version that is causing our response time to slow?

Let me know what information i forgot to provide.

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Nothing in particular jumps to mind. You'll get slower response when you're remotely accessing the database than if it was local however.

Are all the workstations and handhelds accessing the database via WiFi? Have you checked to see if the network is congested?

I'd investigate how they actually implemented this app as well. It might be excessively chatty and have an inefficient implementation where it constantly updated a table or something. The database itself might not have the correct fields set to be indexed etc...
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    From what you've said, my first thought would be networking. It runs fine on the local install, but runs like crap everywhere else...

If you think they're right and the problem is SQL, there are several things within SQL to look at. You want to have your logs on seperate drives from the data. You want to have indexes built on frequently used tables/feilds.

You COULD also look into the Tuning Advisor...but with only 20 users, im willing to bet your problem is not DB related, nor is the problem because you have the Express version
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My first thought is 22 networked users! You said this is running on a workstation, right? Remember there is a concurrent connection limit of 10 on any non-server based OS from MS.