Options

Advice needed for scenario questions

cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
I have taken quite a few practice tests for Network+, and a common question type that I have found are scenario questions. Here is an example of what I mean.

Example:

Question XX

Situation: You administer a computer network for a small company, and you want to ensure that the primary server can remain operational after a failure in the system.
Required Result: The primary server can remain operational after a failure in the system.
First Optional Desired Result: The primary server should remain powered for at least a short period of time in case of power failure.
Second Optional Required Result: Data should be protected from a natural disaster, such as a flood or fire.
Proposed Solution: Connect a UPS to the primary server. Back up data on the primary server daily and store a weekly backup off-site.

Which of the following results does the proposed solution produce?

a) The proposed solution produces the required result and both optional desired results.
b) The proposed solution produces only the required result and the first optional desired result.
c) The proposed solution produces only the required result and the second optional desired result.
d) The proposed solution produces only the required desired result.
e) The proposed solution produces only the optional desired results.

Now, although I did manage to get this question right, I am worried that this type of question may cause me to mess up on the actual exam. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to approach these types of questions. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

Thanks,
Cheeblie

:D P.S. Thanks for making this great site. :D

Comments

• Options
    aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Easiest thing to do is to compare the Proposed Solutions to the each required out come. Read the proposed solution and ask yourself whether it meets the Primary objective then ask yourself if it meets the first secondary objective then the second secondary objective. If you answer yes to all then it meets all objectives. If you answer no, the answer accordingly. That's the easiest way to do it. But to answer that you must have a solid grasp of the concepts which these questions were designed to test.
  • Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    do you get these types of questions on the test
  • Options
    msempermsemper Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did not get any questions like that at all. The questions was straight forward. Once you understand stuff you will be okay.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The type of question you posted is from MCSE NT 4 exams...
    Before MCSE 2000 this was exactly the type of question you would very often find in Microsoft exams. The way to tackle those was by starting to check if the required result was met, if it wasn't you could choose "The proposed solution does not produce the required result." because if the required result was not met, the optional results didn't matter... the answer "The proposed solution only produces the optional results" was never an option.