Options

ATT cellular data question

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have an ATT cellular Iphone with data package, does anyone know if I get an ATT aircard, will my sim from my phone work to get internet through my laptop?

Comments

• Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    I have an ATT cellular Iphone with data package, does anyone know if I get an ATT aircard, will my sim from my phone work to get internet through my laptop?

I also wanted to know the answer to this.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    bump???

I tried asking in another forum. One guy said you can do it in Tmobile and thinks you can on ATT. Some other guy said no. I do not want to call ATT because they will most likely say
    "You can't do that or You are not supposed to do that".

Will let you know if I find out :)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You don't need to bump messages that soon after the initial post. Nobody here is paid to answer your questions or be tech support.

It should work but with some caveats. AT&T don't want you doing this and it used to be in the contract that this service plan was only for iPhones so if they catch you then they may cancel your contract or make you pay the data charges. They can tell what type of device you've got the SIM plugged into since they know the IMEI of the device you're using but it apparently isn't routinely checked. If you don't go crazy with it and you don't start doing unusual stuff like running BitTorrent then you'll most probably be okay but obviously you do this at your own risk.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Yes, you will be able to use your SIM card in the air card for data access. Doing this is in violation of your Terms of Service, and your risk either having them add an additional $60 data plan to your account or having your account terminated (and being slapped with an early termination fee if you are under contract). It is also possible (but less likely) that they could charge you the pay-per-use rate for any data you use on the air card ($.01/KB I think is the going rate).
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
This discussion has been closed.