Options

Network Cut over

tornado42tornado42 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I work for a web design and hosting company. We have two networks in the office.
Sprint T-1 (which needs to go away... $$$$)
Comcast Business internet... which is what we want to switch to.

All hosted websites are actually being hosted off site for some reason. Not my call.

the email is being hosted in the office. the servers (win2k3) are all 192.168.... ips. there is a VPN/Firewall box that is forwarding the traffic to the appropriate servers.

I went to change the MX records of the domains through the various registration locations... godaddy registrar etc.

Changed the WAN Ip info on the VPN/Firewall from the sprint network to the Comcast network.

connected a laptop up to the comcast network (outside) the office network and started pinging mail.(whatever.com) i started getting replies from the new ip info after waiting about an hour or so. tried to send and recieve a test email from one of the changed mail domains and it could not find the server.

what did i miss?

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    most public dns server requires 24-48 hours to update their records. you may just need to wait
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Didn't read the whole post but guessing you forgot to lower your ttl on your dns entries from a standard 12 or 24 hours to a few minutes.
  • Options
    apd123 wrote: »
    Didn't read the whole post but guessing you forgot to lower your ttl on your dns entries from a standard 12 or 24 hours to a few minutes.

when I was pinging mail.(......).com on a laptop from outside the network using different DNS servers it was replying with the correct (new) ip info so I would have thought that I was ok.
  • Options
    aordal wrote: »
    most public dns server requires 24-48 hours to update their records. you may just need to wait

when I was pinging mail.(......).com on a laptop from outside the network using different DNS servers it was replying with the correct (new) ip info so I would have thought that I was ok.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    apd123 wrote: »
    There are a lot of broken DNS servers out there that don't respect the TTL you set and just default to some number.
  • Options
    tornado42 wrote: »
    tried to send and recieve a test email from one of the changed mail domains and it could not find the server.
    It couldn't work out what was the mail server from DNS? Or it couldn't connect to what was specified? Or it went to the old server still?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    It couldn't work out what was the mail server from DNS? Or it couldn't connect to what was specified? Or it went to the old server still?

could not connect to what was specified. the outlook was saying could not find mail.(.....).com
  • Options
    Run nslookup and do the following

set type=MX
    yourdomainhere.com
    mail.yourdomainhere.com