Options

Copying databases between sql servers

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I just got a new sql box so I need to copy two databases over from our existing sql box. I've read ms documentation on using the stored procedures to attach/detach but cant I simply just right-click > detach, copy to new server, right-click > attach?

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Backup and restore! Do a SQL backup from the current database then on the new SQL server do a DB restore and point it to the backup files. Safest imo.
  • Options
    aordal wrote: »
    Backup and restore! Do a SQL backup from the current database then on the new SQL server do a DB restore and point it to the backup files. Safest imo.

Wow, even easier. Thanks.

Whats a good way to copy sql logins to the new server?
  • Options
    Here's a blog on how to do that: How do I... Transfer logins from one SQL Server 2005 instance to another? | How Do I… | TechRepublic.com

I personally have not done this and it's my HIGH recommendation that you do this in a test environment first (not on your production servers!) just to make sure it does what you want it do.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Here's a blog on how to do that: How do I... Transfer logins from one SQL Server 2005 instance to another? | How Do I… | TechRepublic.com

I personally have not done this and it's my HIGH recommendation that you do this in a test environment first (not on your production servers!) just to make sure it does what you want it do.

Thats a good one for the toolbox.
  • Options

Perfect! Thank you.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've used that script before. Handy.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options

I did this this weekend and it worked perfectly, thank you.
  • Options