Options

Microsoft AD intergrated DNS question

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi

I jut implemented an application called Lansweeper

we purchased the premium license to do AD scanning

the software has been active for 24 hours and nothing.... nothing in the logs indicating an error either.

while troubleshooting it occurred to me to ping mydomain.com it resolves but come back with an ip address of a domain controller we had fail and had to force-ably remove the fsmo roles from

I can see the DNS record and it is listed as (same as parent folder) Host (a) 192.168.1.2

is it OK to simply delete the records ? or what is the proper procedure to remove the records

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    How are you getting a live response when the server is physically down?

But yes, if you have a DC fail you can manually remove the entries or they will likely get taken care of by scavenge.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    How are you getting a live response when the server is physically down?

He said he pinged it and it responded with an ip of a downed DC. He didn't say that the ping was successful. The DNS successfully resolved to a DNS Server that was still up and since he pinged the root of the domain, the downed DC still had an NS record.

Since you seized your FSMO roles, you don't want to bring the old DC back online; if it's even possible. You'll want to do a metadata cleanup for that server in AD and then verify that things are cleaned up, including DNS.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks