Options

InfraGard - Questions

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well, I just decided to look for other groups that I could join and learn from. Columbia, SC is a little out of the way for me, but I might be inclined to go to any meetings they might hold. I filled out the paperwork, and was kind of surprised by the warnings and the background check. I gave them the name of the government contract organization I work for and am hoping they will accept me.

Questions:

• What kind of meetings do they usually hold?
  • Good idea for networking?
  • Do they usually except regular IT people?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never heard anything about them but it looks interesting. I tried to check for local chapters but their site is having some issues.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    It's pretty nice. They give you VPN access to a secure site. You basically get information about vulnerabilities and all that. They have chapters meetings once in a while. I still have yet to fill out my paperwork to join.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    It's pretty nice. They give you VPN access to a secure site. You basically get information about vulnerabilities and all that. They have chapters meetings once in a while. I still have yet to fill out my paperwork to join.

Thanks for the info, I just filled out my forms so now I just need to mail them off.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am very interested in participating in InfraGard, hopefully they accept Service members, been wanting to join for some time.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I've been to one local chapter meeting, only because there has been one since last year. It was a good meeting. They accept anyone into their ranks to attend meetings. As I recall, they had a few presentations and fed us. A good mix of people and also head hunters if you are looking for a new job. You can attend meetings without being an official member. Just email the FBI field agent or chapter president in your area.

Joining on the other hand is a little trickier. I still have not gotten my confirmation. We just got a new field agent, so I will contact her to see what's up. You either have to go through a background check or meet the other prerequisites such as being cleared.

There is a lot of cross over from our very active ISSA chapter.

Also, you get the bonus of being deputized and can shoot people in times of Marshall Law... (or some silly rumor that is floating around the internet).
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    Also, you get the bonus of being deputized and can shoot people in times of Marshall Law... (or some silly rumor that is floating around the internet).

Yes, I saw that crazy article on the Internet icon_lol.gif

I filled out my paperwork, and am hoping I will be accepted.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I need to get mine sent out. I think I'm pretty much a slam dunk for them. They would have to do pretty much nothing. I cant wait to get my paperwork sent out. I think I'm going to print a new set out and update them. I wanna get them in the mail by the end of the weekend, Monday at the lastest.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    Got the official e-mail and letter of acceptance.
  • Options
    Got the official e-mail and letter of acceptance.

I hate you! I think I need to join your chapter. :)
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    I hate you! I think I need to join your chapter. :)

Where are you located?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great organization to be a part of! I've been to two meetings and they were really eye opening. Plus the contacts you can build up are second to none. I joined the HTCIA and this is my next group.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Where are you located?

I'm on Orlando, Fl. We just got a new field agent, so I will have to follow-up with her. I thought I had everything I needed for a quick approval.
    -un