Options

Simple instructions...

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Its amazing how people are incapable of performing the simplest of tasks...
I am in the process on renaming all of our computers to fit a better naming convention. I need to know what your current computer name is.

To find your computer name:

Right-click on your 'My Computer' icon and choose 'Properties'
Click on the 'Computer Name' tab
Look at the 'Full computer name:' field (see screenshot below)
I just need the name to the left of .domain.com

I sent this e-mail out to everyone and you wouldnt believe how many people gave the computer description or asked me for help. The workforce is doomed I tell ya, doomed!

I even included a screenshot where I circled my computer name!

/end rant

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just query all the computers?

But yeah, users tend not to follow instructions precisely. As they're not experts, they may not notice what is important and what isn't. It is the same reason why any error message is just "an error popped up". They won't be able to tell you what it said at all.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just query all the computers?

But yeah, users tend not to follow instructions precisely. As they're not experts, they may not notice what is important and what isn't. It is the same reason why any error message is just "an error popped up". They won't be able to tell you what it said at all.

It would have but not all computers have a description and I need to know which one belongs to whom.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Its amazing how people are incapable of performing the simplest of tasks...

I sent this e-mail out to everyone and you wouldnt believe how many people gave the computer description or asked me for help. The workforce is doomed I tell ya, doomed!

I even included a screenshot where I circled my computer name!

/end rant

Nothing new here, moving on.... icon_wink.gif

I could tell stories icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    It would have but not all computers have a description and I need to know which one belongs to whom.
    Ah in that case then you query it to see who's currently logged in and match it up based on that :)
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah I don't trust my users that much lol I did the query when it came to that. Vbscript script that got the computer name, user logged on, and some other stuff and had it POST to a php script inserting it into MySQL for later use icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Use psloggedon and pipe the results to a txt file. Done :)
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Also you may not always get good results for just who is logged on because people tend to share computers or no one will be logged on at all...
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Ultimately, this is a great thing. A blessing. It's why we have jobs.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That looks like a social engineering email icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Also you may not always get good results for just who is logged on because people tend to share computers or no one will be logged on at all...

Thats how it is here, some users rotate. Using psloggedon or a script will only return legit info if someone is logged in right?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

Hey, the best way to get someone's password is to just ask them right? :)
  • Options
    Hey, the best way to get someone's password is to just ask them right? :)
    Yup. There was survey and 34% told them the password without any incentive. 70% would tell the password if you offered them a chocolate bar and 39% would tell you personal details that would help in gaining access or stealing their identity. They obviously can't check whether these people gave correct answers or not though. I'd go along with it and just talk crap for a few minutes if it got me a freebie :)

Of course, 34.6748% of all statistics are made up so take these numbers with a large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Thats how it is here, some users rotate. Using psloggedon or a script will only return legit info if someone is logged in right?
    Yeah. It would just show who is currently logged in. If person A uses 4 different PCs and person B uses 2 of those same PCs then you'd get confusing results.

Not that relying on the users to give the correct details themselves seem to be any more accurate or less confusing :D

The old adage of if you want something done right then you got to do it yourself comes to mind in this case. Trek around every single PC and note down where it is and what its called. This is why they invented interns however...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »

No, it isn't. It's an email about pest control.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I am in the process on renaming all of our computers to fit a better naming convention. I need to know what your current computer name is.

To find your computer name:

Right-click on your 'My Computer' icon and choose 'Properties'
    Click on the 'Computer Name' tab
    Look at the 'Full computer name:' field (see screenshot below)
    I just need the name to the left of .domain.com

You may as well have been asking some of those users to carry out brain surgery or ask them a question regarding theoretical string theory.

Never, ever underestimate just how stupid your users can be !

I once worked in a hospital and was once called by a new surgeon who thought he may have a virus on his machine. By the time I got there he had the area around the PC cordoned off and he was wearing gloves and a mask..... he wasn't sure but just in case .... I kid you not !
    Kam.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    You may as well have been asking some of those users to carry out brain surgery or ask them a question regarding theoretical string theory.

Never, ever underestimate just how stupid your users can be !

We don't at work, it's actually part of our business model. As a web hosting company, we give our customers an ftp account, and only enable shell access if they ask for it. Control panel? That would be the ticketing system. You need a new mysql database? submit a ticket. You need a new domain setup on the server? submit a ticket.

Some of our customers have a cluepon, so we'll give them root on mysql to manage their own stuff, but I'd say that's less than 1% of our customers. They *never* get root (this is all for managed servers, obviously) to the overall system.

While some of our customers are a royal pain in the ass with the simplistic stuff they want, it's created a good rapport between the tech staff and the clientele. They put in a ticket, and usually in less than 5 minutes, whatever they wanted is done, and done correctly. This creates the environment that support is no-hassle, and makes folks think twice if they decide to change hosts when they're high maintenance.