Options

new to sql

lwhitemcplwhitemcp Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
i would like to learn a little bit about sql, get my feet wet and see how i like it. any helpful advice would be appreciated.

thanks
MCP,MCSA ,MCDST,MCTS:VISTA, MCITP:ES,
A+,Network+,CIW Associate
IBM Certified Associate System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 7

Comments

• Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could get some type of SQL for Dummies book, but it's just not the same as "doing" it.

And to do it, you'll need a database and, preferably, lots of data. What's great about it is that it can go from simple to extremely complex.

EX.
    SELECT * FROM UA_EMPLOYEES_TBL
    WHERE HIRE_DT BETWEEN '2009-01-01' AND '2009-12-31';

the "*" means return all the columns in that table. Then, I've written a 100 line SQL statement with 4 unions in it (took me, DBA and Secruity Analyst 2 weeks to get it right! :))
  • Options
    lwhitemcplwhitemcp Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i've got the step by step for 2008 book from MS, and just prepping my vm for the install. i figure this along with some of my own crap that i want to play with, should wet my appetite and get me started, or send me crying in the opposite direction, lol.

cheers
    MCP,MCSA ,MCDST,MCTS:VISTA, MCITP:ES,
    A+,Network+,CIW Associate
    IBM Certified Associate System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 7
  • Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just starting on my MCITP track; probably take first test 02.04.10. Lost my job of 13 years as a Systems Analyst/Programmer and there wasn't a day that went by that I did not use SQL (DB2 and Oracle).

As a matter of fact, I think I'll do the 3 tests for MCITP Systems Administrator and then do the 2 tests for SQL Server Database Administrator. Given that I'll be going for a job with zero experience in the networking field, I think knowing SQL Server Admin (I know the SQL programming side) is a big boost :) I can always add EA later!